advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wouldn't these Yamaha S115V 15" speakers be a good deal for a band of kids scrounging to improve their PA system?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 09, 2020 06:04PM
[easttexas.craigslist.org]

I would think if they bought the S115V set for $300, they may as well buy the S125IV set for $100 each for backups.

They are playing old blues music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 06:05PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wouldn't these Yamaha S115V 15" speakers be a good deal for a band of kids scrounging to improve their PA system?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 09, 2020 06:12PM
They may need something for bass, unless the bassist has a good rig.
Re: Wouldn't these Yamaha S115V 15" speakers be a good deal for a band of kids scrounging to improve their PA system?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 09, 2020 06:18PM
Dennis S
[easttexas.craigslist.org]

I would think if they bought the S115V set for $300, they may as well buy the S125IV set for $100 each for backups.

They are playing old blues music.

they look a lot like EV speakers i own. i'd think they'd be fine for a start up band. how do these yamahas compare to what they have now and how is the price compared to a comparable new speaker?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: August 09, 2020 06:24PM
They are using 8" speakers now. New ones are $780 a pair. This is a city-sponsored band that takes young players and shepherds them through the band as an education and when they "graduate," they add a young beginner to fill the gap. It's really a good organization, but like everything else, they are low on money.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 09, 2020 06:27PM
Dennis S
They are using 8" speakers now. New ones are $780 a pair. This is a city-sponsored band that takes young players and shepherds them through the band as an education and when they "graduate," they add a young beginner to fill the gap. It's really a good organization, but like everything else, they are low on money.

That sounds awesome and these speakers, as long as they work, would be a good fit. see if they can demonstrate to you that they work. also see if there is negotiation room.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 06:27PM by graylocks.
Date: August 09, 2020 07:02PM
It's a a 2:45 ride to get these, so we may not pull it off.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 09, 2020 07:22PM
I'd hit up Pawn shops. Just know what you are looking for and what it is worth, There are plenty of horrible deals as well as plenty of awesome deals at Pawn shops. Make sure to either test it there, and or get a warranty or at least a return agreement long enough to give them a run through.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 09, 2020 07:37PM
Dennis S

Meet halfway and offer gas $ as a bonus?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: August 09, 2020 07:52PM
jdc
Dennis S

Meet halfway and offer gas $ as a bonus?

We need to hear them.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 09, 2020 08:29PM
The price is decent but I'm always leary about buying used PA speakers or any used speaker for that matter, and more so if they were used on the road rather than in a stay-put installation. Obviously you'd need to test them and really give them a good visual inspection. The S115V goes for $390 new. Guitar Center has a used one in good condition for $105 here:
[www.guitarcenter.com]

Here's a used pair of S115Vs that have been reduced to $159.97 for the pair:
[www.musicgoround.com]

JoeM
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 09, 2020 08:55PM
Those yamahas are not highly regarded, but they may be good enough. Not much bass, though, as I mentioned. I have 15" JBLs that are older and built very well with a great horn. But they also need a sub, because they have no bass.
Posted by: Wags
Date: August 09, 2020 10:31PM
I've moth-balled my old heavy passive PA speakers for light weight active speakers. They weigh a ton and its a PIA to haul around amps. Too bad you're not near PDX, I would literally give you a pair of Peavey 12" cabinets with horns loaded with Black Widows.
Date: August 09, 2020 11:15PM
The distance to drive is a deal-killer here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018