advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
breaking news?!.....major gas explosion in Baltimore, 1 woman dead, others injured.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 10, 2020 10:17AM
....just broke....they are speculating it was a gas leak......

Major’ gas explosion levels homes in Northwest Baltimore, killing one and seriously injuring others

.....A “major” gas explosion ripped through three homes in the Reisterstown Station neighborhood in Northwest Baltimore, killing one woman and seriously injuring at least two others, Baltimore Fire officials said Monday.

Multiple houses were damaged by an explosion near Reisterstown and Labyrinth roads, just behind Reisterstown Plaza shopping center. The exact cause of the explosion was not immediately clear.

....gas........explosion......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 10:21AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Big gas explosion in Baltimore
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 10, 2020 10:20AM
Yikes.

I think $tevie is from there. What’s the word?
Re: Big gas explosion in Baltimore
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 10, 2020 10:25AM
3 houses involved. 1 death, 2 trapped, & 3 injured so far.
In the NW area of the city.

Photos & Live aerial video on the Fox station.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 10:27AM by MrNoBody.
Re: breaking news?!.....major gas explosion in Baltimore, 1 woman dead, others injured.....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2020 10:49AM
A tragedy.
I have to ask.. how hard would it be to add an automatic valve that shuts off gas to the house when gas levels are detected ?
Re: breaking news?!.....major gas explosion in Baltimore, 1 woman dead, others injured.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 10, 2020 10:50AM
.....wouldn't it go off every time one ate......Mexican.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 10, 2020 10:54AM
omg. I can't imagine that explosion based on what's left.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 10, 2020 11:05AM
When I was a kid living in Metairie (a city just west of New Orleans) in the 70s, several houses exploded due to a gas leak like this. Horrific. One happened a few blocks from my grandparents when I was sleeping over there. I remember waking in the middle of the night to the house shaking.

Being a kid (I think I was 7 or 8, if that), I asked my Dad why the house exploded like that. He told me it was a gas leak. I asked what happened; why did it explode? He said something like, "they just do that sometimes".

For years (and I mean, years) after I started renting apartments, I would not move to one that had natural gas connectivity.

(FWIW, it was an issue for a while in the region, as I recall, prior to the mandated use of flex pipe for natural gas connections. I could be wrong about that part. There was a lot of house sinking due to the nature of the region until widespread use of pilings for all house building.)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: decay
Date: August 10, 2020 11:28AM
Horrible... old gas lines are a problem around the country.

---
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 10, 2020 11:34AM
cbelt3
A tragedy.
I have to ask.. how hard would it be to add an automatic valve that shuts off gas to the house when gas levels are detected ?

Depends on where the leak was. Around here where there are many old distribution lines, some dating back to the early 1900s, the leak often is outside the house. If it flows into a basement area, even with the valve shut off there could be an explosion.

The street I live on had a new line put in a couple years ago. Before that the gas company had put in at least a dozen patches in the street during the 5 years before, the length was about 250-300 yards. They also replaced the lines to most houses. My house is high enough above the street for leaks there to not be a problem, but it was an issue for a few nearby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 11:35AM by JoeH.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 10, 2020 11:38AM
cbelt3
A tragedy.

Probably less than $2k per house. The issue may be that the leak occurred outside the house and followed piping or other below grade penetrations into the house. IIRC, that's what happened for one of the major natural gas events in the Northeast.

It's not always old gas lines that are the issue. The new, flexible gas lines that are used in home construction/renovation can be a serious issue (not referring to the last section that connects an appliance to the gas line). These lines have very thin walls. During lightning storms, they can suffer pinhole leaks due to arcing. Schedule 40 black pipe is less susceptible to this issue.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 10, 2020 11:38AM
A tragedy indeed, but it could have been far worse; it's a blessing that the death count was not higher.
Date: August 10, 2020 12:03PM
TV news outlets are reporting that first responders are now going house by house
for blocks in the surrounding area looking for casualties as windows & doors are
being reported blown in by the force of the blast. Trees over a block away are
littered with debris!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 10, 2020 12:08PM
There are a number of ways nat gas systems can leak. Bottom line is that the pipes to the houses are "black iron" and can corrode. Here in the Seattle area, they are all supposed to have a polymer coating outside, AND be fed low power/current by a transformer to prevent galvanic corrosion if that coating is damaged.

There was a home explosion about a decade ago that was caused by the home-owner building a downstairs wet bar that drained to an illegal french drainage system outside. When the system was built, "the call" wasn't made to locate the pipes, and the pipe got nicked by the shovel blade. Eventually the pipe leaked at that corroded spot. The natural gas traveled through the gravel into the basement, because the drain pipe wasn't sealed to the foundation. And, eventually it detonated in the middle of the night.

After much closed door litigation, the utility settled out of court for millions because blaming the dead homeowner wouldn't look good in the news and it would become a shitstorm PR nightmare.

It was never reported as such, but I "have a guy" at the power company. Very high up, as well as knowing the lawyer for the power company.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 12:09PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 10, 2020 04:12PM
The mercaptan odor may be filtered out by passing through the ground so any gas is odorless.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 10, 2020 06:21PM
Saw another update:

3 homes destroyed, 1 home to be condemned, and at least 68 homes with various
levels of cosmetic & structural damage.
The explosion registered at the MGS's Soldiers Delight (MD) Seismic Station,
about 12 miles away.
[www.mgs.md.gov]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018