advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MR Forum Video Conference Series: How to possibly change your wide angle webcam to more flattering view for $12
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 17, 2020 01:22PM
Welcome to the MR Forum Video Conference Series, where we attempt to give helpful hints on improving how others view you.

The following is based on my training and experience years of pointing lenses at people for money.

Feel free to add information.

These are all suggestions so do what is best for your situation.

You may ask for a refund at any time.

Exposure and lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
What I use for lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
Maximizing one light source: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting ideas and lamps: [forums.macresource.com]
Microphones: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting critique: [forums.macresource.com]
Backgrounds: [forums.macresource.com]
Why wide angle lenses are unflattering: [forums.macresource.com]
Canon cameras advantages as webcams: [forums.macresource.com]
Sound Reduction Panels: [forums.macresource.com]

To expand on the previous info about webcams and iOS device cameras making people look a bit wider than they actually are. Changing the angle of your camera can help with a more flattering angle, the wideness of the lens can still be unflattering.

Wide angle lenses pointed on faces makes thing closer to the camera appear larger. Most often, this would be your nose. Most webcams and iOS self facing camera are a wide angle view roughly equivalent of 28mm on a 35mm film camera. 50mm is considered neutral, not wide nor telephoto. This is why portraits are typically not shot with wide angles. Telephoto starting at 70mm on up are typically used for portraiture.

Wide angle distortion and lens distortion are different things but that's not a huge issue for web conferencing so I am not going to get into the detail this guy gets. What you do notice though is the 85mm shot shows a normally proportioned face. As the lens he uses gets wider, facial features get exaggerated and less flattering. [bakerdh.wordpress.com]

So pRICE cUBE, how the heck am I supposed to decrease wide angle facial distortion?

There are 3 tactics:

1. keep your face further from the camera. This may introduce other issues such as distance from the mic.
2. Use a Canon SLR that is compatible and set the lens to a non-wide angle setting. This costs time and money as the cheapest used T6 on eBay is about $25-300 with lens.
3. A 2X iPhone/smartphone/laptop lens attachment for $16.

iPhone/smartphone lens kit can attachment:
The iPhone/smartphone lens kit can attach to your smartphone or iOS device. I just clipped on a 2X lens to my iPad's selfie camera. It shows much less of my background ($1 table covering from Dollar Tree) and less wide angle distortion on my face.

The kit is $16 on Amazon and comes with a few other lenses [www.amazon.com]
$12 kit on ebay [tinyurl.com]

I ordered a similar kit with a telephoto just for giggles [tinyurl.com]
It features a mini tripod and tripod setup as well as a few more lenses.

That 2X lens is your friend. I imagine you can somehow attach the lens to a webcam by rigging it with some putty or other semi-sticky means of attachment. Maybe your webcam is slim enough for the provided clip that ships with the kit. Otherwise, the clip holds to most iOS or smartphone devices or laptop.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2020 02:41PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: How to counteract wide angle making one's face look wider due to wide angle lenses
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 17, 2020 02:01PM
lay off the snacks

(thanks for the postings pRICE!)
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: How to counteract wide angle making one's face look wider due to wide angle lenses
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 17, 2020 04:56PM
I can't tell for sure... would that kit work on a MBP's camera?

Date: August 17, 2020 05:00PM
AllGold

I have the 2X clipped to my MBP 1&" right now. It fits but I cannot tell you more since I have not gotten the machine back to functionality.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: August 17, 2020 05:14PM
AllGold

I hooked it up to an HP laptop and the lens aperture is plenty wide to accommodate the webcam size. Did a brief web conference with the HP. I miss my 17" MBP.

If you have an iMac, you can adhere the lens with tape or some other temporary rig.

It is much nice not needing as much background material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2020 05:31PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 17, 2020 05:29PM
Thanks!

Date: August 17, 2020 06:03PM
pRICE cUBE
AllGold

I have the 2X clipped to my MBP 1&" right now. It fits but I cannot tell you more since I have not gotten the machine back to functionality.

I clipped it to a MBP 13” and the lens optical glass is about 2x the width of the webcam’s width, there was no dark corners due to light getting cut off by the holder.

Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: How to possibly change your wide angle webcam to more flattering view for $16
Date: August 18, 2020 02:05PM
This iPhone lens clip kit that features 2X as well as a few other lenses is $12 shipped [tinyurl.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2020 02:40PM by pRICE cUBE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020