advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My TV doesn’t have BT, is there any adapter I can use to get AirPods to work with it?
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 19, 2020 02:18PM
I have a Samsung Smart TV that is about 3 years old. Apparently, it doesn’t have BT capability. Is there any way, adapter or something, that would allow me to use my AirPods for sound output?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My TV doesn’t have BT, is there any adapter I can use to get AirPods to work with it?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 19, 2020 02:32PM
There are lots of Bluetooth transmitters that will take the sound output from the TV and allow you to pair the AirPods to the Bluetooth transmitter.

What you'd want to take into consideration, is what audio outputs you have from the TV (RCA line level, headphone, optical) and get the a transmitter that will accept that output. And also take into consideration how you will adjust the volume. Probably only the headphone output of the TV (if it has one) can be controlled by the TV remote for volume control. RCA and optical outputs are fixed, so then the transmitter or the AirPods would need to be able to control the volume level. Do AirPods have any volume control? I've never found it if they do.
Re: My TV doesn’t have BT, is there any adapter I can use to get AirPods to work with it?
Date: August 19, 2020 02:59PM
Gareth
There are lots of Bluetooth transmitters that will take the sound output from the TV and allow you to pair the AirPods to the Bluetooth transmitter.

What you'd want to take into consideration, is what audio outputs you have from the TV (RCA line level, headphone, optical) and get the a transmitter that will accept that output. And also take into consideration how you will adjust the volume. Probably only the headphone output of the TV (if it has one) can be controlled by the TV remote for volume control. RCA and optical outputs are fixed, so then the transmitter or the AirPods would need to be able to control the volume level. Do AirPods have any volume control? I've never found it if they do.

Yeah, it looks like the TV only seems to have the optical output for sound, so volume adjustment might be an issue.
I wonder if I got an optical out speaker of some sort if it would have some way to connect via BT?
Why is nothing ever easy. Lol

Edit. It does also have an HDMI (ARC) connection, but I have no idea what that is. I have never heard of it before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 03:01PM by rgG.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 19, 2020 03:05PM
I’ll link you when I get home from the hospital in a few hours.
Pro tip is to get an adapter with super low latency, otherwise the audio will be out of sync with the video.
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 19, 2020 03:21PM
....so sync....or swim......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 19, 2020 03:36PM
loads of BT transmitter/receivers listed @ bezosville

4/5 Stars 1357 reviews Fakespot review grade: B

ZIIDOO Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver, 3-in-1 Wireless Bluetooth
Adapter,Low Latency Bluetooth Audio Adapter for TV,Car,Home Stereo System
[www.amazon.com]
$12.74

Rechargeable Lithium ion battery, requires a 3.5MM output on your TV.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 19, 2020 03:45PM
No earphone or phono L/R jack?
Date: August 19, 2020 03:46PM
MrNoBody
loads of BT transmitter/receivers listed @ bezosville

4/5 Stars 1357 reviews Fakespot review grade: B

ZIIDOO Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver, 3-in-1 Wireless Bluetooth
Adapter,Low Latency Bluetooth Audio Adapter for TV,Car,Home Stereo System
[www.amazon.com]
$12.74

Rechargeable Lithium ion battery, requires a 3.5MM output on your TV.

Yeah, I don't have the 3.5MM output, which seems crazy. sad smiley

Date: August 19, 2020 03:47PM
anonymouse1

It has component out connections, but no earphone jack

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 19, 2020 03:53PM
rgG
anonymouse1

It has component out connections, but no earphone jack
Both my LGs have TosLink & HDMI ARC audio out plus the 2020 has BT 5.0 that is excellent! No 3.5mm jacks on either.

Here's one @ bezosville with 3.5mm & Optical for $25.99

Bluetooth Transmitter, Foxnovo Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter for TV with Digital
Optical TOSLINK, 2-in-1 Audio Adapter with Aptx HD Low Latency and 3.5mm
Aux Adapter for Headphone, Speakers, PC

4/5 Stars

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 03:58PM by MrNoBody.
Date: August 19, 2020 04:57PM
Thanks!
I will give it a look see.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 19, 2020 06:25PM
rgG
It does also have an HDMI (ARC) connection, but I have no idea what that is. I have never heard of it before.

HDMI (ARC) is "Audio Return Channel". It's primarily meant to be used with a separate A/V receiver. What it does is carries the TV's audio back down the HDMI cable to the A/V receiver's HDMI video OUTPUT. Normally this would be used if you are watching OTA (over the air) TV (or I guess the TV's built-in apps nowadays) on the TV so that instead of using the TV's built in speakers, you can use your "big" speaker system (i.e. 5.1, 7.2, etc) hooked up to your AV receiver without a 2nd cable (i.e. the TV's optical output).

I imagine you could use HDMI (ARC) with a Bluetooth transmitter also, but it seems less likely that you'd find one with that input.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 19, 2020 06:44PM
.....BT....Barnum......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 19, 2020 07:44PM
Gareth
rgG
It does also have an HDMI (ARC) connection, but I have no idea what that is. I have never heard of it before.

HDMI (ARC) is "Audio Return Channel". It's primarily meant to be used with a separate A/V receiver. What it does is carries the TV's audio back down the HDMI cable to the A/V receiver's HDMI video OUTPUT. Normally this would be used if you are watching OTA (over the air) TV (or I guess the TV's built-in apps nowadays) on the TV so that instead of using the TV's built in speakers, you can use your "big" speaker system (i.e. 5.1, 7.2, etc) hooked up to your AV receiver without a 2nd cable (i.e. the TV's optical output).

I imagine you could use HDMI (ARC) with a Bluetooth transmitter also, but it seems less likely that you'd find one with that input.

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea how it worked.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 19, 2020 08:27PM
I've never found a TV that has Bluetooth, is that common now?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: August 19, 2020 08:36PM
C(-)ris
I've never found a TV that has Bluetooth, is that common now?

Apparently on current smart TVs, it is, but three years old, not so much, I guess. Lol

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: August 20, 2020 06:55AM
Don't the AirPods have an app for your phone?? If not, can you use the volume control in the control center?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: August 20, 2020 09:31AM
WHiiP
Don't the AirPods have an app for your phone?? If not, can you use the volume control in the control center?

No app that I know of. You have to ask Siri to up the volume, or use the volume buttons on the side of the phone, or the control center. If the sound isn't coming from the phone though, I am not sure how it works.

Posted by: kurtzie
Date: August 20, 2020 11:38AM
Are you watching TV - OTA or Cable?
or streaming?

I use my Air Pods with our basement AppleTV while on the elliptical. Volume up and down with the remote.

Steve
Date: August 20, 2020 12:55PM
kurtzie
Are you watching TV - OTA or Cable?
or streaming?

I use my Air Pods with our basement AppleTV while on the elliptical. Volume up and down with the remote.

Steve

I have Dish. I have a Chromecast on that TV, but I am not sure how I could use it to get content on the TV and sound through the Airpods.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 20, 2020 09:41PM
Most flat screen TVs haven't had analog audio (3.5mm jack) for many years now, instead opting for digital-optical output.

I would have said you'd need an optical digital > analog converter and then a BT transmitter to reach your AirPods.

The HDMI ARC acronym is new to me, although I do remember something about returning audio to A/V gear from an ancient conversation some where.

Let us know how you fare with adding BT and using your AirPods.

BT 5.0 should help minimize latency.

The 43" LG that a few of us got has BT connectivity.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020