advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need ideas for a pop-up reminder...
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 19, 2020 03:32PM
...since my aging, feeble brain can't seem to handle it.

Our IT department very nicely came up with a way for our small team of 4-6 to remotely access a critical machine that lives at work. One caveat is that only one of us can have access to it at a time. As luck would have it today, I was "off-duty" at 2pm, but forgot to sign off that machine. I received a text message from a co-worker as I was running errands asking if I was still logged in. I told her I thought I had logged out, but that I would check. I turned around and went back home and sure enough, I was stilled logged in. That kind of puts the brakes on things and locks anyone else from getting in.

I should mention that this becomes a problem only on my day off or half days. On a normal full day we just email each other "Hey, who forgot to log out!?

So I'm looking for a simple pop-up reminder kind of thing that will pester me fairly regularly to make sure I've logged out. It's too easy to ignore a Post-It note that I could stick on the monitor. Any other bright ideas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need ideas for a pop-up reminder...
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 19, 2020 03:40PM
Can you set an alarm if you have a smart phone?
Date: August 19, 2020 03:45PM
Unfortunately that probably wouldn't be practical, as I might log in for ten minutes in the morning, then again a couple hours later for a few minutes, then maybe again at the end of the day, but not always, etc. And not always at the same time. I suppose I could start a timer when I log on, but then I'd have to remember to start the timer. ;)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 19, 2020 03:59PM
Is there something you always do on your way out that might be able to provide the reminder? You'll quickly overlook a nagging reminder.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 19, 2020 04:20PM
Using the Reminders app on your phone, you can set a reminder for a location? I use it to do things like "turn on the dishwasher" when I get home.

Could you set one of these reminders to go off when you arrive in your work parking lot? Since it would also alert when you arrive at work...it could say some like "Log status?". You would have to test and see if the geofencing is accurate enough to only trip the message when you leave the building.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 19, 2020 05:23PM
What kind of machine? Can you set it just to log out the user after some minutes of inactivity?
Date: August 19, 2020 05:55PM
All good thoughts. Thanks.

Like I said, I'm working from home now and as long as I'm at my desk, if anyone forgets to log off it's a simple as an email to the team to remind whoever it is to do so. When I sign off work for the day, I should be able to remember to check that one program before I send our my "Talk to you tomorrow!" email.

This is the first time it's happened where I was already out of the house. Thankfully, I was in my car about to run an errand but if there weren't the threat of rain, I'd have been on the motorcycle and never would have noticed the text until I stopped and checked my phone. In fact, half-jokingly I made a comment in my email that it was supposed to rain, so feel free to text me if there are any problems.

I tried the location reminders once for something else and I was never able to get them to work right.

The more I think about it, I should just be able to get my @#$%& together and remember.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 19, 2020 07:56PM
An alarm or a reminder set for the same time every day wouldn't be sufficient?

Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 19, 2020 08:08PM
You could have us do it. Pam was having issues remember charging her Treo 650, and we stepped up.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 19, 2020 09:07PM
Hey Wurm....Log out!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 19, 2020 09:38PM
....a weasel [ pop goes the weasel ]....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: d4
Date: August 20, 2020 07:26AM
Wurm, are you currently out running errands?
Please check if you're wearing pants.

Although not 100% similar to your situation, I've forgotten to log out of remote access a few times and have left it connected over the weekend even. I don't have a solution, but instead of a reminder pop-up, there must be a way to automatically log you out after 30 mins of inactivity. The worst that can happen is that you have to just log back in. A pop-up reminder does no good if you already left the house.

Date: August 20, 2020 07:32AM
At home: check.
Wearing pants: check.

It'll be fine. Having f'ed up once, I'm sure it will be front and center on my mind for at least a few days. Frankly, I'm a little surprised IT didn't incorporate some kind of inactivity logout after 15 minutes or so.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 20, 2020 09:33AM
Big post it on the door that you leave the house thru.
Date: August 20, 2020 09:49AM
macphanatic
Big post it on the door that you leave the house thru.

That may be the best idea yet. smiling smiley Thanks.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: August 20, 2020 11:47AM
On our shared work server, I log out after I'm done using it, just so there is less bandwidth being used.
We can have multiple connections, I just do what I need and log off.
Log on later, log off. Etc etc…

Steve
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 20, 2020 08:00PM
A note on your steering wheel or bike grips.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 20, 2020 08:29PM
Sharpie note on every 20th sheet of TP?

I used to write notes to a boss every 3-5' on the adding machine tape.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020