Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
August 22, 2001: FireWire wins Apple an Emmy
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 26, 2020 08:07AM
[www.cultofmac.com]

August 22, 2001: Apple takes home a technical Emmy for developing FireWire, the high-speed serial port that allows users to transfer data quickly between a Macintosh and another device, such as a digital camera.

“Apple enabled the desktop video revolution with its invention of FireWire,” says Jon Rubinstein, Apple’s senior vice president of hardware engineering, in a press release. FireWire plays a key role in Steve Jobs’ “digital hub” strategy at Apple. However, the technology’s origins go back much further than that.

A brief history of FireWire
In fact, Apple engineers developed FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394) in 1986. It was designed to replace older technologies for interfacing between devices. They nicknamed it “FireWire” due to its impressive speed.
It wasn’t until Jobs’ return to Apple that FireWire became part of the Mac’s standard toolset. Jobs saw a use for it in moving video from cameras to computers, where the imagery could be easily edited and distributed.

Due to its advantages, FireWire proved incredibly popular among users, from consumers to industry pros. It quickly became a standard interface, adopted by Sony, Canon, JVC and Kodak for cameras and digital peripherals.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: August 22, 2001: FireWire wins Apple an Emmy
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 26, 2020 08:33AM
FireWire, RIP.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 26, 2020 08:34AM
It really was revolutionary, eliminating the need for expensive external video capture hardware. I was working at a Mac dealer at the time and we could sell an iMac and firewire video camera to anyone who wanted to get into video.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 26, 2020 08:59AM
Didn't Apple get an Oscar at some point?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 26, 2020 09:04AM
Racer X

Maybe you're thinking of Pixar? smiley12

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: tenders
Date: August 26, 2020 09:18AM
I added a FireWire card to my Hackintosh when I built it six years ago, and was still using it with an old FireWire cam for Zooms until about two months ago.
Date: August 26, 2020 10:23AM
tenders
I added a FireWire card to my Hackintosh when I built it six years ago, and was still using it with an old FireWire cam for Zooms until about two months ago.

When I built my hack in 2010 I was able to find a Gigabyte mobo with IEEE.1394 built in. Used it for years with an Alesis Firewire 16-channel audio mixer. Still have both, and I suppose they still work, but have not needed to use both together in several years now.

Had been using a Focusrite Sapphire Firewire external audio interface with a TB adapter but recently that just stopped working and they are no longer supporting it. All the new kit is USB 3.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 26, 2020 11:55AM
I remember, on Firewire 400, watching songs transfer to and from my iPod at a rate of about TWO songs per second. old fogey smiley
Date: August 26, 2020 12:03PM
rjmacs
Racer X

Maybe you're thinking of Pixar? smiley12

Possibly. They originally built Apple render farms back then. I think Monsters Inc was all Apple hardware.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 26, 2020 01:30PM
Anybody remember Light Peak?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 26, 2020 02:30PM
Wasn't the iMac the first consumer computer to have USB?
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: August 26, 2020 02:53PM
freeradical

I think it was the first to require you to use it.
Some PC's had USB, but since they also had serial and parallel ports, nobody really used USB.
Date: August 26, 2020 03:14PM
freeradical

Not by a long shot. PCs had USB well before Apple did. The Bondi Blue iMac G3 was just the first Mac to have one, and like kurtzie said you had to use it to connect a keyboard.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 26, 2020 03:54PM
Firewire really WAS Apple - 'it just worked' and it sure seemed magical compared to SCSI and other interfaces of its time.

And that it worked on a Sony video camera was amazing.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 26, 2020 06:58PM
mikebw
freeradical

Not by a long shot. PCs had USB well before Apple did.

Un-huh, however Windows lacked useable drivers for the interface. Typical…and stupid.

[www.youtube.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]
[arstechnica.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 26, 2020 09:39PM
Plus it was slow USB. USB2 came along years later and was the death knell of FireWire.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 27, 2020 01:09AM
Windows had USB 2 for years before Apple did IIRC.

Date: August 27, 2020 07:20AM
Speedy
Plus it was slow USB. USB2 came along years later and was the death knell of FireWire.

Perhaps the beginning of the end, but USB2 was never as good as even FW400. Cheaper? Sure, but people who needed the performance would pay, and FW800 came soon enough.
Date: August 27, 2020 08:28PM
One of the biggest difference is that USB 1 & 2 (not sure about 3) is that it is one directional, and that the host machine's processor does all the traffic control. So the harder the machine is working is working, the slower the transfers.

FW has its on on-board traffic controller, so there is no performance hit to the host machine, AND it is bi-directional.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020