advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone as Webcam for Zoom?
Posted by: roshi
Date: August 30, 2020 09:50PM
People are recommending purchasing a $300 or so webcam for use when teaching classes on Zoom, instead of iMac built-in camera. Why not though, just use an iPhone? Have it be an extra administrator. Have any of you done this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone as Webcam for Zoom?
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 30, 2020 09:57PM
This would work well.

I have a posting from a teacher who built an awesome home setup and used an iPad as a Zoom component. Should work the same with an iPhone.

I think even an iPhone 4S is better than the Apple 'iSight' webcams except for the latest iMac.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 30, 2020 10:21PM
Not working for my wife, option to connect to iPad/iPhone via cable or airplay doesn’t work. Her work email (paid license) account doesn’t work, but her personal account (Free) does. She has to use her work account for usage tracking. I set her up with a usb webcam as a document camera. Video source can be selected for usb Cam. Was going to use a Wyze Cam if I couldn’t find the webcam.

Apparently this happens to some accounts. Weird. Going through zoom for tech support sucks. They told me to do what I had tried already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2020 10:23PM by Carm.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 30, 2020 10:29PM
I do several zoom meetings a week and use my iPad and a fancy stand that was recommended here. The quality is good. The downside is that the iPad has to be rotated to landscape placing the camera to the side. So while staring at the screen there is also a bit of a side angle that I don't like.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 30, 2020 10:35PM
Previous posts about how to improve your web conferencing situation:

Exposure and lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
What I use for lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
Maximizing one light source: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting ideas and lamps: [forums.macresource.com]
Microphones: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting critique: [forums.macresource.com]
Backgrounds: [forums.macresource.com]
Why wide angle lenses are unflattering: [forums.macresource.com]
Canon cameras advantages as webcams: [forums.macresource.com]
Sound Reduction Panels: [forums.macresource.com]
Adding 2X lens to your iOS device or webcam: [forums.macresource.com]
How higher lumens decreases visual noise/grain: [forums.macresource.com]
Avoid Splotchy Virtual Backgrounds: [forums.macresource.com]

I have used zoom with a 7th gen. iPad and it worked fine. I added a 2X lens for $9-12 on ebay, $16 on Amazon. Adding 2X lens to your iOS device or webcam: [forums.macresource.com]

The camera in the iPad and iPhones can get a bit grainy looking do a bump in lighting can definitely help the visual quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Get something to hold your iphone in a position so it isn't pointed up your nose. This is a ring light I posted a few days ago. I am not sure the deal is still going. [forums.macresource.com]

An arm such as this one can hold your phone and be readjusted on the fly quickly [www.amazon.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2020 03:10PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 30, 2020 10:41PM
besides just using an iphone/ipad with the camera they have there are also youtube vids on how to use an iphone as a webcam. it gives you more angle/mounting options than the built in camera of an imac. i believe some additional app was required.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 30, 2020 10:58PM
Some Canon cameras can be used as webcams. Some used SLR cameras with lens are below $300. I believe you can buy a T6 with an 18-55mm lens for about $200 these days.

[www.usa.canon.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 30, 2020 11:23PM
So you want to have 2 instances of "Roshi" in your zoom meeting? A laptop for seeing students and sharing your screen, but add an iPhone as your video source so it is more clear? That seems overly complicated.

I don't think anyone is really going to judge your teaching because your picture isn't 1080p. Remember that your students are quite likely watching the zoom on small screen on a phone or tablet.

Students are much more going to enjoy things like having good lighting, better sound quality due to a quiet environment and solid technical skills for screen sharing, etc.

Although we bought Mrs Markintosh a new MBA for zooming with her class, I'm actually thinking she might be better off taking our 21 inch iMac to her class so she can easily see all of her students.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: roshi
Date: August 30, 2020 11:27PM
Thank all of you for the prompt response! I will read through the info you sent.
Posted by: gabester
Date: August 31, 2020 04:11AM
I haven't tried with Zoom, but I frequently use my iPhone for Webex. I just join on the phone for audio/video, and if I need to also see shared presentations or whatnot, I'll join with a computer too.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 31, 2020 06:19AM
The Aukey 1080p webcam is pretty good, especially for $50. It fits thin screens really well. Plus, the base has a tripod connector.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 31, 2020 07:53AM
Carm
Not working for my wife, option to connect to iPad/iPhone via cable or airplay doesn’t work. Her work email (paid license) account doesn’t work, but her personal account (Free) does. She has to use her work account for usage tracking. I set her up with a usb webcam as a document camera. Video source can be selected for usb Cam. Was going to use a Wyze Cam if I couldn’t find the webcam.

Apparently this happens to some accounts. Weird. Going through zoom for tech support sucks. They told me to do what I had tried already.

Very odd. Try deleting Zoom app and reinstalling? We use several different official Zoom accounts at my work (including one class that is fully encrypted), all perform well on an iPad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2020 07:54AM by sekker.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 31, 2020 08:10AM
I tried using my iPhone, I got unacceptable signal lag ... also I've found that using a dedicated webcam gives better image quality and options not available or easily accessible on an iPhone.

Also, FYI ... some of those teaching online (myself included) are specifying that cell phones aren't supported. From last semester, we were having too many problems with students dropping out and coming back into class when they were on Zoom, presumably due to signal issues.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 31, 2020 08:10AM
pRICE cUBE
Previous posts about how to improve your web conferencing situation:

Exposure and lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
What I use for lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
Maximizing one light source: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting ideas and lamps: [forums.macresource.com]
Microphones: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting critique: [forums.macresource.com]
Backgrounds: [forums.macresource.com]
Why wide angle lenses are unflattering: [forums.macresource.com]
Canon cameras advantages as webcams: [forums.macresource.com]
Sound Reduction Panels: [forums.macresource.com]
Adding 2X lens to your iOS device or webcam: [forums.macresource.com]
How higher lumens decreases visual noise/grain: [forums.macresource.com]

I have used zoom with a 7th gen. iPad and it worked fine. I added a 2X lens for $9-12 on ebay, $16 on Amazon. Adding 2X lens to your iOS device or webcam: [forums.macresource.com]

The camera in the iPad and iPhones can get a bit grainy looking do a bump in lighting can definitely help the visual quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Get something to hold your iphone in a position so it isn't pointed up your nose. This is a ring light I posted a few days ago. I am not sure the deal is still going. [forums.macresource.com]

An arm such as this one can hold your phone and be readjusted on the fly quickly [www.amazon.com]

Thanks for the great tips! We went with four of the LED bulbs you suggested which I put behind my wife’s 27” iMac. They reflect off her office’s off-white walls and white ceiling and nicely light up whomever is in front of the iMac. We had to put a temporary cardboard shield along the bottom of her iMac because she found there was too much bright light shining under the display which was very annoying.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020