advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
help design this simple A/V setup
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 05, 2020 11:01AM
A friend asked me and I'm struggling to tell him his options, based on usage.

1. Main room (new basement construction, drywalls not yet installed) will have home theater of some kind.

2. Secondary, adjacent room is a workout/gym room also with a TV.

The TVs would need to be fed independently, which also implies whatever sound those rooms hear. I mention the sound in the workout/gym because he's also interested in something better that TV speakers there ... with possible syncing so that both rooms play the same music (with TVs turned off I suppose, but if they could be fed by the same video that opens up possibilities.)

- I'm aware that surround sound receivers often have a 2nd zone for audio (pre-amp outputs?) or maybe that's handled at the speaker-level instead, kinda like the old days with a traditional A/B speaker switch built in.

- but that doesn't address how to switch from the gym's TV sound to the main stereo's sound (and volume settings, too)

You can see that I'm wondering if these should be two completely separate audio/video system, with potentially the gym room getting an aux feed of some kind from the other room.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: help design this simple A/V setup
Date: September 05, 2020 11:02AM
You're tempted to ask about budgets and A/V sources and I don't know them at this time. I just want to know what's possible.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 05, 2020 11:26AM
if it were me, and I was looking to do the same, I'd use 2 systems.

but for us here, I have one Emby server that hits the 2 TVs and one remote location.

the main has the receiver, better newer TV, mid range pro small speakers (4" woof, 2 way)
the 2nd TV (bedroom) just uses "computer speakers w/"sub".

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 05, 2020 11:29AM
Take a look at matrix switches from the likes of Crestron or Extron. Hopefully they offer something for non-professional use that isn’t too expensive.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 05, 2020 11:30AM
Two systems. second that idea
My SIL has one system for indoor and outdoor speakers. It’s an all same sound or none. They can chose to turn on outside or not, but I wouldn’t do it like that. Get a cheap receiver for workout room

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2020 11:32AM by Carm.
Date: September 05, 2020 11:31AM
Fritz

...the 2nd TV (bedroom) just uses "computer speakers w/"sub".

OK so depending on source(s) the TV needs RCA output or the source does, if say it’s just a cable box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2020 11:32AM by deckeda.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 05, 2020 11:37AM
This really depends on what feeds the TVs: cable box, streaming boxes, something else? Without knowing that it's hard to know where to start.

The multi-zone receiver is definitely an option for audio. Buddy of mine has a lake house with that kind of a setup and it works pretty well.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 05, 2020 12:01PM
deckeda
[OK so depending on source(s) the TV needs RCA output or the source does, if say it’s just a cable box.

I run audio only thru the TV upstairs. I'm lazy. I've sought other solutions but because the speakers are older and have no dig input, there are too many hoops to make that happen.
Downstairs, same, coz the rcvr is pre wifi/BT enabled.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 05, 2020 01:16PM
If he just wants to feed music, I'd leave the TV's out of the mix completely and just use a couple smart speakers running off an echo or similar. There are numerous Bluetooth speakers of all sizes out there. Alternatively, he could put a Bluetooth receiver on his amp and feed the speakers from his phone, etc.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: John B.
Date: September 05, 2020 02:05PM
Depends on what the music audio source is going to be. Sonos and Roku and others make soundbars that could either be the local TV audio or play music from another source.
Date: September 05, 2020 02:11PM
Yeah I’m currently waiting to learn what any of the sources are.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 05, 2020 03:15PM
Sonos beam has gotten really good reviews.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 05, 2020 04:03PM
My receiver has that dual zone capability but I never use it, it's too much of a pain. But if I had paid original price on it, I might want to use it and not buy another high dollar unit. If it's simply to get music into that other room, that probably is a decent solution.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 05, 2020 05:43PM
I'd go 2 systems if possible, OTOH, we've got a pristine Niles SVC-2 from the good ol' days of rock 'n' roll, that I'll make you a heckuva deal on, if that works.

photos from the 'bay, not ours, ours is in better shape.
==
Date: September 05, 2020 06:05PM
Wow, those Niles boxes bring back some memories! Expensive autoformers back in the day. Gimme the particulars, I might just have to create a justification. smiling smiley
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 05, 2020 11:57PM
deckeda
Wow, those Niles boxes bring back some memories! Expensive autoformers back in the day. Gimme the particulars, I might just have to create a justification. smiling smiley

Pretty much as shown, only actual unit is nicer IRL. Wood is darker walnut. Controls two sets of speakers, or in my former life, it split the third output from our Sansui 9090DB.... main output was for big speakers in living room, second output was for den, and third (which was split w/ Niles unit) was for background music in living room (back third of which was office), and a similar small set of satellites w/ sub-woofer in bedroom. Nice thing was ability to tailor individual volumes when playing in both rooms. If we hadn't downsized a few years ago, we'd probably still be using it. It was used in our lowest volume applications; the highest output we ever gave it was at our wedding reception when I brought a lot of our audio gear to the venue for our tropical themed outdoor gig. I might even be able to throw in a copy of the mix tapes we used that fateful day.
cool smiley
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2020 10:33PM
“Main room (new basement construction, drywalls not yet installed) will have home theater of some kind.”

I hope he is running 3/4” thinwall conduit for the future in addition to regular wiring.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 151
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020