advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Roshi, did you mean use an iPhone as a webcam in a manner shown in this video?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 07, 2020 10:45PM
Previous question: [forums.macresource.com]

This video [youtu.be] I accidentally stumbled upon made my iPhone 6S into a webcam for MS Teams with the regular lens. It is the free version of the iOS app.

You need to download a free driver in step #2 here [www.kinoni.com]

Because I opted for the Free iOS app of EpocCam, it uses the regular camera only, not the selfie camera. The resolution look like 320 or 480, it is tough to tell. The paid version is $8 and allows 1080P and use of front facing selfie camera. I think it also turns on the mic of the phone.

I like the regular rear camera anyway because it is a higher quality camera. The video says it works with Skype and Zoom. I got it to work with MS Teams (Mac OS App) but it wouldn't work with Google Hangouts (Firefox Browser) or FaceTime.

I had it hooked to a Mac Pro tower running 10.12 Sierra.

Previous web conference improvement tips
Exposure and lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
What I use for lighting: [forums.macresource.com]
Maximizing one light source: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting ideas and lamps: [forums.macresource.com]
Microphones: [forums.macresource.com]
Lighting critique: [forums.macresource.com]
Backgrounds: [forums.macresource.com]
Why wide angle lenses are unflattering: [forums.macresource.com]
Canon cameras advantages as webcams: [forums.macresource.com]
Sound Reduction Panels: [forums.macresource.com]
Adding 2X lens to your iOS device or webcam: [forums.macresource.com]
How higher lumens decreases visual noise/grain: [forums.macresource.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2020 07:39AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Roshi, did you mean use an iPhone as a webcam in a manner shown in this video?
Posted by: roshi
Date: September 08, 2020 10:26AM
pRICE cUBE,

The [www.kinoni.com] driver is part of what I meant. Our iPhones have such good cameras, why not use them instead of the dinky little things squeezed into the screen? Or some Logitech piece of plastic?

I don't know anyone who is using the kinoni driver and do not want to install some possible junk code. I am running Catalina on my MacBook and her iMac is in Mojave - she gets mad at every system upgrade. So I test everything thoroughly before changing anything.

My wife and I teach Zoom classes together a lot, and the video is then put on class sites so students can watch over and over. Even though I set everything up, and am her tech support, she gets mad if I propose any changes.

When I am teaching by myself, what I have been doing part of the time is to log into Zoom twice, with my iPhone and with the MacBook. I put the iPhone on a stand in some convenient position and have it be the main camera, and I use the bigger screen of the MacBook, which actually has 2 27" Apple monitors attached to it.

Sometimes I put the iPhone stand right in front of the monitor, so that when I am talking to someone, it is more like I am looking them in the eye.

Before the Pandemic, we were traveling half the year, all over the US, Canada, Australia, Bali, to teach workshops - we train teachers of meditation.

Zoom is working well but I have a LOT to learn about all the details of lighting and sound.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020