advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
finding an old message
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 09, 2020 03:47PM
First of all, this is not a huge deal, but...

I went to search through my old messages looking for one particular thread from about a year ago. It was an exchange i had with a potential Cragslist seller. Everything was fine, he seemed like a nice guy but the transaction just didn't work out for me, and I was curious if ended up selling to someone else.

Anyway, I looked back about a month ago and again a few weeks ago, and I was able to find the short exchange easily enough. Unfortunately i figured they'd always be there, so I never thought to write down the person's phone number (I have only a first name). Well, I went to look again a few days ago and I could scroll no further back than about a year. I also contacted the service provider and they can only go back a year as well.

I don't use iCloud to back up. Rather, when I think of it, I use iTunes to back up my phone. Is it likely older messages would be in a previous iTunes phone backup? If so, any idea how I'd go about accessing them?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: finding an old message
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 09, 2020 03:54PM
wurm
Is it likely older messages would be in a previous iTunes phone backup? If so, any idea how I'd go about accessing them?

iMazing should let you see what messages are in your backups.

[imazing.com]
Date: September 09, 2020 06:01PM
Hmmm...with a little more searching I discovered this one. [www.imactools.com]

Anybody here familiar with it?
Date: September 09, 2020 06:45PM
Wow. Just wow. I downloaded the app and installed it. Opened it up, entered my encryption password (I guessed right on the second try) and it opened right up and all my Messages from my previous backup were right there. I found what I was looking for in less than a minute. Total time from download to Quit was probably less than 5 minutes.

And oh yeah, it's free!
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 09, 2020 10:30PM
GGD
wurm
Is it likely older messages would be in a previous iTunes phone backup? If so, any idea how I'd go about accessing them?

iMazing should let you see what messages are in your backups.

[imazing.com]

I had iMazing on my iMac for a while, but after getting constant update messages (seemed like one a week) I threw it out. Worse than Firefox, or iTunes, both of which are mightily annoying, too.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020