Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
9.11.2001 - 19years ago ;-(
Posted by: robfilms
Date: September 11, 2020 08:24AM
it feels like such a long time ago.

and when you think of the utter chaos, loss of life, mountains of sorrow from that day to this...

stay well, my friends.

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 9.11.2001 - 19years ago ;-(
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 11, 2020 09:16AM
when the wind shifted you could smell the acrid stink of burnt electrical components.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 11, 2020 09:41AM
I never had such a sense of daily anxiety like that until Spring of this year. These things are hard to process in real time.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 11, 2020 09:47AM

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 11, 2020 10:46AM
It is one of those defining "where were you moments"

I was at a murder scene of an 18 year old girl. Something that I normally wouldn't remember but now can never forget.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 11, 2020 10:52AM
....I would have been in one of the Towers @ work.....but had left the job a year before.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: September 11, 2020 11:13AM
I was at a murder scene of an 18 year old girl

Sounds like a story in itself...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 11, 2020 11:30AM
NewtonMP2100
....I would have been in one of the Towers @ work.....but had left the job a year before.....

Had the attacks been carried out on the originally planned date (Mother's Day 2001, according to the 9/11 Commission's report), I possibly would have been killed -- I was at the WTC that morning.

As it was, I spent part of 9/11 fielding calls from concerned friends worried that I had been killed in the attack. A passenger on one of the flights out of Boston to L.A. had the same name as me --- as I was out of work at the time and as many of my friends know I have family in Boston, some of them jumped to an unsettling conclusion.

It is what it is.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 11, 2020 12:59PM
For people who were an adult during the Kennedy assassination, did people talk about it every year in November like clockwork? November 1964 and 1965, ok that was still fresh on people's minds. But how about 10 years later in November 1973. Or 19 years later in November 1982? I haven't encountered anyone "in the real world" who brought up 9/11 today. Only online and the media.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 11, 2020 01:12PM
9/11 always causes me to get melancholy remembering working that day In NYC. I was working at Reuter’s new building at Times Square, doing audio for a morning show. After the first plane hit Reuter’s scrambled crews to go down to the site and I was asked to go for a 12 hour shift. I declined and offered to stay onsite in the Times Square studio to keep broadcasting because my brother, who worked for Verizon at the top of the North Tower had taken me a few times up there to the very top and all through the sub basement levels. At the time there were no sprinklers at the top and there was exposed asbestos all over the place and I remember him telling me “You don’t ever want to be near here if there’s ever a major fire”. Luckily he was out of the Tower by then but he lost a buddy up there that day.

Later that day when the guys managed to get back they were exhausted, totally covered in white dust and pretty much in shock. They showed us videos they took of people jumping and we were all horrified. I still have so many unsettling memories from that very long day and I guess I always will. There was a documentary done by one of the Reuter’s cameramen that took the video of the jumpers and covers what he saw and went through. It’s pretty grim and brought back a lot of unpleasant memories when I saw it but I had a lot of respect for Mo, the cameraman for his dedication to making sure what happened was documented.

JoeM
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 11, 2020 01:26PM
JoeM, thanks for that story. Through the years I've met many people who have stories of being there or those who lost people in the buildings or on the planes. It's just so shocking and sad.
Date: September 11, 2020 02:02PM
mrbigstuff
JoeM, thanks for that story. Through the years I've met many people who have stories of being there or those who lost people in the buildings or on the planes. It's just so shocking and sad.

You're very welcome. 19 yrs later, its still a raw, painful memory. My brother will not discuss it, that's how upsetting it still is for him. I would have been working there the Tuesday after the attack as I worked regularly at Merrill Lynch back then. I actually went to the memorial and museum last year. It was the first time I had gone back there. I went with my brother in law who was a fireman and worked down there after the collapse. It was a very emotional day for both of us.

JoeM
Posted by: robfilms
Date: September 11, 2020 04:35PM
d4
For people who were an adult during the Kennedy assassination, did people talk about it every year in November like clockwork? November 1964 and 1965, ok that was still fresh on people's minds. But how about 10 years later in November 1973. Or 19 years later in November 1982? I haven't encountered anyone "in the real world" who brought up 9/11 today. Only online and the media.

d4-

you make a very relevant point.

perspective.

if you were in nyc, dc, boston, a field in western pa or waiting for a plane that would never arrive, then September 11th was very real, and might remain so to this day.

my father brought up Dec 7th every year I lived in his house. he enlisted on Dec 8, 1941. the experience remained a reality for him all of his life.

stay well.

rob
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 11, 2020 05:07PM
JoeM
There was a documentary done by one of the Reuter’s cameramen that took the video of the jumpers and covers what he saw and went through. It’s pretty grim and brought back a lot of unpleasant memories when I saw it but I had a lot of respect for Mo, the cameraman for his dedication to making sure what happened was documented.

Would that be this documentary? [topdocumentaryfilms.com]

It is what it is.
Date: September 11, 2020 08:40PM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeM
There was a documentary done by one of the Reuter’s cameramen that took the video of the jumpers and covers what he saw and went through. It’s pretty grim and brought back a lot of unpleasant memories when I saw it but I had a lot of respect for Mo, the cameraman for his dedication to making sure what happened was documented.

Would that be this documentary? [topdocumentaryfilms.com]

No,I don’t think so. It’s similar. I’ll see if I can locate it and post here if I find it.

JoeM
Date: September 11, 2020 10:05PM
I'm not able to locate the documentary but I was able to find some of my friend Mo's raw footage from that day on youtube: [youtu.be]

There's also a Reuters short where Mo and my other buddy Soren speak about their experiences but I can't seem to get the audio in Safari:
[ca.mobile.reuters.com]

JoeM
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 11, 2020 11:24PM
One documentary I saw filmed one of the fire chiefs (?) in the lobby and you could hear the thumps of bodies landing just outside and he said, "What is going on up there that jumping is a better option?" and that comment has stuck with me.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 12, 2020 04:47AM
Every September 11th I remember John P. O'Neill; one of the smartest and most
dedicated person I ever met during my "government employee" days.
RIP to all the victims.

I also remember the days of nothing but fighter jets in the skies. iirc, not even
police helicopters were allowed to fly.

We also should not forget the Benghazi attacks on 9/11/2012.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 12, 2020 05:49AM
A documentary by the Neudet brothers is excellent. They were making a documentary on a Manhatten fire station when everything took place and were given unfettered access. they were inside the WTC command center.

I cannot find it posted online and my copy was a bittorent download. Extremely well done and powerfull.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 12, 2020 03:35PM
JoeM, that is just unbelievable. Ugh. I only got a few minutes and then had to look away. But thank you for posting that link, it's apparently hidden with so few views.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 13, 2020 12:40PM
Though I live in Arkansas, NYC was (and still is) a twice a year trip for me thanks to all the family I had in the area. Even had childhood memories my first few years in the States, of Manhattan where we lived (even went to a public school there that had a number instead of a name). Loved the hot dogs and papaya juice my dad would buy for me from one of the many stands (and I don’t like papayas). Had my first bagel from a delicatessen in Brooklyn. And don’t ask me why but to this day I remember the subway fondly. As a teenager and young adult, I would follow my cousins into the city (by which time they were living on the Island) where they worked, and I’d just wander around. Been to the Twin Towers a couple of times during those visits. So even though I live far away, the loss of the Towers/attack on the city hurts to this day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020