advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
the space between?!......this is what the new firmware for 'AirPods Pro' does.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 14, 2020 03:46PM
......spatial audio support and automatic switching......

New AirPods Pro Firmware Introduces Spatial Audio Support and Automatic Switching

.....The new 3A283 firmware that Apple released for the AirPods Pro today appears to introduce support for Spatial Audio, a new feature coming to the higher-end AirPods with iOS 14.

Multiple reports on Twitter and the MacRumors forums indicate that the firmware update adds a "Spatial Audio" option to the Control Center, which can be activated to enable the feature. Note that using Spatial Audio requires the iOS 14 update to be installed.

Early reports from the MacRumors forums suggest Spatial Audio is functional and working with Apple TV+ content. Several people who have tested the feature have been impressed, calling the audio "immersive," "mind-blowing" and "trippy." From a MacRumors reader with Spatial Audio working:

Just tried out spatial audio on my iPad. Very cool! The illusion of the audio coming from the iPad is so convincing that I actually thought at first that the sound was coming from my iPad’s speakers. Had to take an AirPod out of my ear to confirm I was really hearing it from the AirPods themselves. I would really like to learn more about whatever dark magic Apple is using to pull off this illusion!

Introduced at WWDC and coming in iOS 14, Spatial Audio brings movie theater-like sound to the earbuds. Spatial audio uses dynamic head tracking to create immersive sound anywhere in space by applying directional audio filters and subtle frequency adjustments.

Spatial audio uses the gyroscope and accelerometer in the AirPods Pro and iPhone to track the motion of your head and your iPhone's position, comparing the motion data, and then remapping the sound field so that it stays anchored to your device even as your head moves.

Today's update also appears to enable the feature that allows for automatic switching between devices, which is available for AirPods and AirPods Pro. Automatic switching will connect the AirPods to any Apple device signed associated with your iCloud when you activate audio on that device and are actively using it.

this.....is how.....we do it......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 03:58PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: the space between?!......this is what the new firmware for 'AirPods Pro' does.....
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 14, 2020 03:57PM
iPPs are $200 at several places today, includign AMZ -- $50 off.

If you want a pair, Id say now is the time to buy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 04:15PM by jdc.
Re: the space between?!......this is what the new firmware for 'AirPods Pro' does.....
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 14, 2020 04:01PM
Nice! I've been looking forward to this feature since it was announced.

EDIT: Needs iOS14. Haven't gone beta yet, but this feature is one that might make we want to try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 04:27PM by sekker.
Posted by: Kate
Date: September 14, 2020 04:44PM
I wish I could force an upgrade, frustrating

Kate
Posted by: stephen
Date: September 14, 2020 04:55PM
I went for it. Probably overkill, but my regular AirPods lose battery life after a half hour, so that's my excuse.
Posted by: Kate
Date: September 14, 2020 05:39PM
Has anyone discovered how to force an upgrade?

Kate
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 14, 2020 05:53PM
Kate,

I connected them through the phone, then put them back in the case and put power to it. It updated within about an hour. Everything I have seen says that there isn’t a way to force it to do otherwise.

Good luck,

Diana
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 14, 2020 07:22PM
Diana
Kate,

I connected them through the phone, then put them back in the case and put power to it. It updated within about an hour. Everything I have seen says that there isn’t a way to force it to do otherwise.

Good luck,

Diana

Did you close the case lid?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 14, 2020 07:45PM
Waiting for the Hearing Aid option...
Date: September 14, 2020 08:01PM
Yes, closed the case lid. They were still synced to the iPhone. Put it on the charger and walked away, as I had stuff to do.
Date: September 14, 2020 08:07PM
cbelt3
Waiting for the Hearing Aid option...

Currently I get something that sounds like someone under water with disconcerting echoes making the spoken word unintelligible. But then the ‘pods don’t fit my ears that well. I’ll be glad when iOS 14 comes out, and I’ll give it a try. Of course, I bought the ‘pod pros about 2 weeks ago, so y’all can thank me for bringing the prices down for you facepalm
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 14, 2020 08:21PM
Diana
Yes, closed the case lid. They were still synced to the iPhone. Put it on the charger and walked away, as I had stuff to do.

Thanks.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 14, 2020 08:25PM
macphanatic
Diana

Thanks.

Make sure the phone is updated to 13.7
I had to update my phone to get the pods to update.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 15, 2020 10:54AM
rgG
macphanatic
Diana

Thanks.

Make sure the phone is updated to 13.7
I had to update my phone to get the pods to update.

I'm on 13.5 (jb) and both my AirPods and AirPods Pro updated.... But staying up to date is always good!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018