advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I love my coffee
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 14, 2020 05:39PM
There's all sorts of negative news and things to worry about in 2020, so I thought I would share a positive thing that came out of quarantine. It's the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew Dual Coffee Maker.

We've always been somewhat anti K Cup due to the amount of coffee we drink and the amount of waste created by plastic K-Cups for Keurig type machines. But sometime during the pandemic, my social feeds started showing ads for compostable pods, and they had good reviews.

So on a total whim, I searched for a machine that could make standard pots of coffee or single cups with pods. I was delighted to find that there were several options out there. The most consistent good reviews came in for the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew. At $99 it was far cheaper than the Cuisinart or Ninja models. We ordered direct from Hamilton Beach.

[hamiltonbeach.com]

It's a good 12 cup (aka 5 mug) coffee maker. It programs easily. You can pour water in without dribbles or splashes. It comes out nice and hot. There's two different brew strength options. That's good because we generally do a pot each morning.

We ordered compostable pods from Tayst coffee and have been very pleased with the results in the pod maker side of the machine. It's not as fast as a Keurig as it doesn't have a built in tank that keeps water warm. You pour in the water from your mug, insert your pod and one cup takes about three minutes, without the fuss of a mini drip or french press. It's so perfect for those afternoons when youre really dragging or an evening cup of decaf.

I'll make this a positive review for the Tayst "compostable" pods. The plastic like ring at top of the pod would likely take years to compost at home, but there is far less plastic than your traditional K-Cup. We have sampled four different varieties from Tayst and they are all good for pod coffee. The downside for Tayst is that they operate on a subscription model. We got a 20 pod sampler, then another 40 pods delivered and that will likely last until Christmas. We put our subscription on hold until we need more. It would be nice if they made single purchases easier.

All in all, the FlexBrew has been a good solution to coffee addiction...bulk coffee every morning and a quick cup whenever you want it. I recommend it.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I love my coffee
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 14, 2020 05:43PM
....I love coffee, I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vicrock
Date: September 14, 2020 07:11PM
You can also buy refillable/reuseable pods - grind your own and fill - no waste
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 14, 2020 07:18PM
i’ve had a HB. Flexbrew for years. it’s uber convenient. my brother was impressed and bought one also. i’ll replace it with the same thing in a heartbeat when it dies.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 14, 2020 08:09PM
vicrock

Yup the FlexBrew comes with one of those reloadable pods. Once you're doing one of those, you may as well be doing a pour over or french press for that single cup. For convenience and quickness, I can live with the Tayst pods.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 14, 2020 10:04PM
vicrock

This. I refuse to buy pods for my wife Kcup brewer. I grind and fill my own.

I've also started making my own pour overs with a permanent cone filter and French press.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018