advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Today was haircut day here in the house.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 14, 2020 08:23PM
Did my husband’s hair and beard. It came out pretty good. This is about the fourth haircut I have given him. I always trim his beard.
I haven’t been to the salon since I think maybe February. My hair had gotten ridiculously long. I just could not take it anymore. I have been doing the ponytail and hat thing for a while. Well today I took the scissors to it and chopped off about 3”. I managed to get it pretty even and I can still pull it back into a small ponytail, if I need to. I am not going to post a pic, but take my word for it looks and feels a whole lot better.
This should buy me a little time.

Cat got a brushing yesterday, but no haircut. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today was haircut day here in the house.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 14, 2020 08:27PM
Wife and 2 daughters went too... wife needed hair colored.

$300 with tip.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 14, 2020 08:32PM
jdc
Wife and 2 daughters went too... wife needed hair colored.

$300 with tip.

Wow. Guess I saved some money, too. Lol
I just don’t feel comfortable going to the salon yet.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 14, 2020 08:40PM
I’ve been cutting my own hair. It’s probably not great but I don’t get out much.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 14, 2020 09:09PM
Good for you!

I buzz mine, too. What remaining little hair I have.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 09:09PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 14, 2020 09:15PM
Got a heircut this weekend. She blew some can of something on the seat, twice on the arms. I sat down, she got a fresh gown out of a package.

Got some scissors out of blue liquid and dried them with a fresh napkin.

I held my mask while she cut around my ears, and put it back on as she finished off.

Then went home and showered.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: davester
Date: September 14, 2020 09:26PM
A couple of months ago my wife watched several haircutting youtube videos, bought some fancy haircutting scissors and cut my hair. It came out pretty well. I'm about ready for another cut. I think it helps that she's an artist so is very practiced conducting precision work with her hands. Painting in oils is just like cutting in hair, right?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 14, 2020 09:30PM
Mrs Markintosh has now cut my hair three times. I got to color her hair this last weekend...that was scary! Turned out okay!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 14, 2020 09:47PM
I buzz with my beard trimmer once every 3-4 weeks.

Messed up last time and started with the #3 rake instead of the #1 and cut it too close over the ears.

It's just about back to a decent length.

Date: September 14, 2020 09:47PM
I wish I could trust my husband to do even a little touch up on the back of my hair, but I know his limitations, and he isn’t getting near my hair with a pair of scissors. Lol

Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 14, 2020 11:16PM
No haircut yet. I've gone a bit over a year.

Posted by: d4
Date: September 15, 2020 06:17AM
I usually get 2 haircuts a month at the barbershop. $25 (tip included) a visit. So that's a $50 a month habit. Shelter in place for 6 months now. 300 bucks saved. Woohoo. The wife is getting pretty good with the clippers. Not a pro-level skin fade, but not too shabby.

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 15, 2020 06:30AM
Nice job, rgG smiling smiley Adaptability.

Been a cult user of the flowbee and other attach-to-your-vacuum cutters since the late 90s. I cut my own about once a month.

My wife converted to a silver sister about 15 years ago, and leaves it Joni Mitchell style straight. Tends to clip her own ends.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 15, 2020 08:06AM
Terrific!

We did our home salon last week, with the Wahls trimmer I posted here earlier. I did my adult son, he did mine.

Funny, I think it looks BETTER on Zoom than my standard hair cut, but it's not as nice in person IMHO.

I'll take that as a win.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 15, 2020 08:26AM
Under COVID ROE, I'll wait before going to a barber or SuperCuts (not the same thing).

I couldn't stand my hair length either.

After watching some YouTube videos, I decided it wouldn't be easy to do it right and I'd be wearing a mask when out and about, so get to hackin' and a hewin'.

I took a lot of the sides and a lot more off the top and back.

Every day for a few days after that, I'd trim around my ears.

I still have a few strands here and there that ducked the scissors, but they're hunted down on a regular basis.

The back edge is a little uneven and 'blocked', neither of which I like.

But I'll practice a couple more times before considering visiting a professional.

I am not going to post a pic, but take my word for it looks and feels a whole lot better.
This should buy me a little time.

Same here.

After cutting it looked like it was hardly touched, but when I felt it, it was like I could wear a smaller hat.

A lot of hair and length was cut!

Fortunately, even with locks shorn, I still have the strength of ten men, as my heart is pure.

Cat got a brushing yesterday, but no haircut.

Ok, just be be clear— you do have a cat and that's not a euphemism?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 15, 2020 10:36AM
I bought a set of pet trimming cordless clippers last year to give our matted long haired cat a trim. They worked well. Then COVID, and my hair got to epic unmanageable shaggy dog length . It curls at about 1 inch of length. My wife calls it 'permanent bed head'. So I asked my daughter's fiancee to help. We went outside, and she did a damn near USMC buzz cut. A bit short, but whatever. That was three months ago. I'm about due. I may go to my daughter's salon again, one of her friends there needs the work.
Date: September 15, 2020 11:02AM
RAMd®d

Cat got a brushing yesterday, but no haircut.

Ok, just be be clear— you do have a cat and that's not a euphemism?

Yes, we have a cat, Bowie Jack is his name. grinning smiley

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 15, 2020 12:26PM
Mrs. Zealand has cut my hair twice now and it's due for another. (not so) Little Zealand also acquiesced to having his way too long hair cut recently so he's good for a while. (relatively) Littler Zealand has not had a cut in over a year and is going the long hair route and can do a reasonable ponytail now. We'll see how that works when school is in-person again. Mrs. Zealand is neither of the dark- nor short-haired variety so no cuts means little difference for her. She'd like a trim-up but it's pretty far down her covid-annoyance list.

I flatter myself that I top the list. All hail the King!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 15, 2020 04:15PM
I haven't touched my beard or hair, (except trimming around my pie hole occasionally) for nearly two years.

I'm letting my freak flag fly for one last time before going back to a buzz cut that I do myself.

The covid thing gives me the ultimate excuse to be slothful.

Funny thing is my beard is nearly all white, but my hair is still it's natural brown color.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018