advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's up with ultra long delivery times from Amazon?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 15, 2020 02:03AM
I ordered a few things from Amazon, but when I checked my confirmation email, they said I'd receive my order by October 24th at the earliest.

I canceled my order, and placed an order with Target for the same stuff at the same price.

Free shipping, and I'll have my stuff by Friday.

WTH is up with Amazon?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's up with ultra long delivery times from Amazon?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 15, 2020 02:31AM
Are u sure your items were both sold and shipped (or at least shipped) by Amazon, or was it some other third party seller? If a third party, was it an overseas (China or other) seller? These are the most common possibilities. However, due to the HUGE increase in people buying stuff from Amazon during the past several months, the latter may be experiencing shortages as well.
Date: September 15, 2020 02:58AM
Everything either sold and/or shipped by Amazon.

There was a time a few months ago when shipping times increased for lots of things, but I thought we were over that. I had been getting normal ship times for quite awhile now. However, my last order took a couple of weeks, and now this nonsense.

This is why I'm really surprised that people think that Amazon stock is so great.

They don't make things that people lust after like AAPL does.

They're just a glorified shipping company, and I'll jump ship in about 5 minutes, like I just did in a heartbeat.

Amazon is nothing special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 03:00AM by freeradical.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 15, 2020 03:46AM
Not sure why you’re comparing Amazon to Apple. Sounds like u have personal issues with Amazon, as you seem to be going off on tangents.

Personally I’ve had none of the issues you’ve noted (perhaps it’s location specific). In fact I’ve increasingly turned to Amazon when I can’t find stuff locally. More pertinently, more and more people in overwhelming numbers appear to be turning to Amazon, as evidenced by their booming business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 03:57AM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 15, 2020 06:23AM
I have seen more than once that Prime means the shipping price is included — only. The act of shipping still requires humans who might be unavailable during a pandemic. So I don’t “blame” Amazon for that, but there’s going to have to be a reckoning about the “2-day” implication some day. Right now Amazon has massive inertia on their side.

I buy most things online from Amazon, but bless Google’s heartless search results, alternatives do surface. The other day I snagged an expensive part for my Honda string trimmer (the harness kit) from Home Depot, who somehow delivered it at 30% less than anyone. In 2 days.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 15, 2020 06:36AM
They're just a glorified shipping company...

ROTFL

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: testcase
Date: September 15, 2020 07:33AM
Amazon Prime Delivery has become a bad joke. I will NOT be renewing my Amazon Prime membership when it expires later this month.

As far as I’m concerned, Amazon should NOT allow vendors to advertise products that the vendors do NOT actually have in stock. I suspect vendors “offer” a product and then, wait until they have sufficient orders. THEN the vendor orders said product. No surprise then that delivery time takes a dive. angry villagers smiley
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 15, 2020 08:36AM
funny, i’ve been meaning to post that the last few orders i’ve had with Amazon have arrived earlier than promised. go figure.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 15, 2020 08:39AM
graylocks
funny, i’ve been meaning to post that the last few orders i’ve had with Amazon have arrived earlier than promised. go figure.

Same here. Actually kind of annoying as I've been choosing a specific delivery day for order arrival (for me; Thursdays) but things are arriving whenever they arrive anyway -- sometimes next day even though I selected the longer-term/no rush shipping.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 15, 2020 08:44AM
......amaze......balls....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 15, 2020 09:48AM
I have not experienced this problem. I've even ordered "out of stock" items (sold by Amazon, not a third party) expecting a long delay as disclosed, and they've still shipped much earlier than expected. Prime likewise has been as advertised, after a 24-48 hour grace period to get it into the pipeline. Some third party sellers have a rather long "expected delivery" dates than Amazon, but that has been clear to me in the listing before I buy. I had one book that took a full three weeks, but bless their heart, it was still within the sellers' worse-case window given at time of sale.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 15, 2020 10:42AM
COVID and supply chain interruptions ... raw materials, factories, shipping, trucking. Everybody has been disrupted. And keep in mind that Amazon does NOT manage their whole supply chain. They push that down to the 'resellers', who can be one dude in his Mom's basement.

B&M stores like Target and WM are more tightly controlled and have strong supply chain contracts and stable suppliers. And even they have trouble keeping inventory.

When things go bad, the virtual supply chain model starts to fall apart. Lawyers get rich, and buyers and sellers get the shaft.
Date: September 15, 2020 10:49AM
I should mention that everything was listed as "in stock" at Amazon.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 15, 2020 11:00AM
I agree with the original poster. I am seeing lots of things shipped by Amazon with two week delays. In fact it’s become a game of whack a mole to keep checking the same item from different vendors to see if I can get it faster than Amazon. I wish they had an option to sort their search by fastest delivery.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 15, 2020 11:18AM
Zoidberg
graylocks

Same here. Actually kind of annoying as I've been choosing a specific delivery day for order arrival (for me; Thursdays) but things are arriving whenever they arrive anyway -- sometimes next day even though I selected the longer-term/no rush shipping.

My son ordered a few items from Amazon on Saturday, selected free shipping. He got a notice that two of the items would be delivered by 9 PM Sunday, they showed up early in the afternoon. The rest are supposed to be delivered by the end of the week.

So it may depend a lot on what is ordered and where the package is going to be delivered to.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 16, 2020 07:43AM
Bought two NVMe enclosures & 1 other item on Monday afternoon.
Chose delayed delivery for one package on Thursday.
Amz issued a $1.50 digital promo for this.
Just got an alert, package (both items) out for delivery today !

dunno smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 16, 2020 08:42AM
.....that's what she said......!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 151
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020