advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How To: Fillable PDF that is "locked"
Posted by: jardster
Date: September 15, 2020 11:50AM
I've got a pdf form that I have made, but I don't know how to "lock" it, so that I can fill out the form, but it doesn't change the original document. Basically, I need to fill out the form, print it/save as pdf, and then be able to fill it out again later, but want the checkboxes and text boxes blank again.

I've got Adobe Acrobat, but can't figure it out.

TIA

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How To: Fillable PDF that is "locked"
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 15, 2020 12:08PM
I’ve filled those out before. Just make a blank one and make copies of it. There is no template option.

Edit: user should use Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out form, PDF would not change/save after closing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 12:13PM by Carm.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: September 15, 2020 12:15PM
[acrobat.adobe.com]
Date: September 15, 2020 12:23PM
Carm
I’ve filled those out before. Just make a blank one and make copies of it. There is no template option.

Edit: user should use Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out form, PDF would not change/save after closing.

That is what I thought... but when I fill it out on my iPad and then print it, and quit Adobe Acrobat Reader, it saves it so the next time I open it, it's already filled out with the infomation.

Frustrating.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 15, 2020 12:33PM
As Carm, I just save a fresh copy for each use, and rename as appropriate. That leaves the blank copy blank, and available for future use(s).
Sometimes, if I know much of the info is gonna be the same, I'll save a copy of the prior one that has the most reusable info in it as the starter pdf.
==
Date: September 15, 2020 12:48PM
Find this solution to clear the form....
Add a Reset Form button
A Reset Form button clears any data a user has already entered in the form. It is like the Tools > Prepare Form > More > Clear Form feature, which is available to you when you create and edit Acrobat forms. However, you can set up your reset button so that it clears only specific fields.

Choose Tools > Prepare Form, then select Button in the toolbar, and create a button.

Double-click the button to open the Button Properties dialog box.
Click the Actions tab, and select Mouse Up from the Select Trigger menu.

Select Reset A Form from the Select Action menu, and then click Add.

In the Reset A Form dialog box, do one of the following and then click OK:

Click individual check boxes to select or deselect the fields that you want to be reset by the button.

Select All.

The list in the Actions tab now shows Reset A Form nested under the Mouse Up action.

Click another tab in the Button Properties dialog box to continue defining properties for the button, or click Close.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 15, 2020 04:33PM
Fill out the form, "Save As" with a different title. You now have the original with blanks plus the filled-in form. Just Save As after filling in each time.

You could possible make the original Read Only. You would then have to make a copy before filling in and saving normally.

jardster
I've got a pdf form that I have made, but I don't know how to "lock" it, so that I can fill out the form, but it doesn't change the original document. Basically, I need to fill out the form, print it/save as pdf, and then be able to fill it out again later, but want the checkboxes and text boxes blank again.

I've got Adobe Acrobat, but can't figure it out.

TIA

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018