advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Clothes Washer & Dryer - When One Fails, Do You Replace Both?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 15, 2020 03:58PM
Somewhat interesting situation in my small town. I've noticed that certain people in town have BOTH washer and dryer sitting at the curb waiting for scrappers or waste management to pick up.

I'm certain that both machines haven't failed at the same time, so one or the other must still be in working condition.

Why would someone do that? If one or the other failed in my house, I would keep the working machine and replace the broken one. I try to get as much life out of an appliance that I can.

Is it because they want a matching set, or what? It doesn't seem logical to me to replace both when one is still A-1 condition.

It reminds me when I was at a friends barn/workshop a few years ago. I asked him why he had two paper grocery bags full of new towels in his barn. He said they were old towels, and his wife and MIL went shopping and bought all new towels and he got the old ones for shop rags.

I was stunned, as they looked better than the towels I had in my closet! smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Clothes Washer & Dryer - When One Fails, Do You Replace Both?
Posted by: raz
Date: September 15, 2020 04:04PM
Clearly, your Y chromosome prevents you from appreciating the necessity of matching towels. I, too, suffer from the same affliction.

Likely the same for washer/dryer. Though, in the case of the latter, our ancient Sears dryer has outlasted 3 washers so far. The top is rusting as well. But, it has no electronics to speak of, and I'll run it until the motor dies.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 15, 2020 04:13PM
It depends how much money one has. I replace only the non-functional one.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 15, 2020 04:18PM
We don't replace both at the same time. We're on like our 3rd washer in 15 years, but only the second dryer. And we only got a new dryer because we switched over to natural gas. The old one went to a rental we used to own. When we sold the rental earlier this year, it was still running.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 15, 2020 04:22PM
Speedy
It depends how much money one has. I replace only the non-functional one.

I was once forced into replacing both when conventional dimensions of new models changed from the pair that I had installed, and the only way to fit within the tight space I had was to replace the functional appliance at the same time as the non-functional.

My current pair is 15 years old, I've been doing inexpensive repairs to both washer and dryer. Dryer's are pretty simple and it should be possible to repair that as long as parts are available, but the washer may someday break in a way that's too difficult to repair, and at that point I plan to replace both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 04:37PM by GGD.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 15, 2020 04:29PM
Both ours failed at the same time (well, one was technically still working, but it was on it's last legs) so we replaced both.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 15, 2020 04:39PM
Rick,

Not an issue if your machines are side-by-side. Possibly an issue if they are stacked. That said, many times, a newer model from the same brand can be stacked on an older model. You'd have to contact the manufacturer about it to confirm.

Robert
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 15, 2020 04:40PM
Rick-o,

As you can see, it really depends on which party in the household makes that decision. Guys tend to replace only one, and I don't care how un-PC that statement is.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 15, 2020 04:53PM
.....when one of your kids fails in class, do you replace both......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 15, 2020 05:18PM
We bought a Maytag Neptune washer and dryer when we bought the house back in ‘97. We’re on our third washer now (a Samsung). Still original dryer. However dryer started making more noise over the last year. Had a guy come out to clean the dryer duct. He opens and cleans the dryer innards during this process and checks to make sure everything’s ok. He noticed the original dryer belt is about to fail and the bearings are completely worn. Replaces those parts for $150 (labor included). We hope to get 5 more years out of the dryer. Hopefully more (maybe much more).
Posted by: DP
Date: September 15, 2020 05:20PM
Nah. Our washer of twenty years (Maytag) crapped out in March and we replaced it. We thought about replacing our dryer of twenty years (also a Maytag) at the same time but we said let's just wait and see. So far, so good.

It's not like headlights that when one fails, the other will within a week, so it's better to replace both at one time. Also, headlights are a little cheaper.... confused smiley

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 15, 2020 05:23PM
We've lived with mismatched appliances for decades.

Happen to be matched now because we moved into a new house.

They are stacked, so we might have to replace both when it comes time - but we will put the working one on Craigslist.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 15, 2020 05:29PM
Rick-o
I've noticed that certain people in town...

What do you mean by, "certain people"?

Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 15, 2020 06:11PM
d4
Rick-o
I've noticed that certain people in town...

What do you mean by, "certain people"?

are you taking offense? winking smiley

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 15, 2020 06:23PM
replaced the (bought 1989) clothes washer in 2010 with a higher-capacity HE model when the drum started leaking.

replaced the (also bought 1989) dryer in 2015 with a higher-capacity HE model after the motor went.

I had already replaced the thermostats and heating elements and was tired of getting my hands sliced up on the stamped (sharp!) internal sheet metal...replacing the motor would have required near complete disassembly of the dryer.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 15, 2020 06:57PM
in my second year of washer/dryer ownership and haven't replaced them yet. will report back when I do.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 15, 2020 06:59PM
I suspect the newer washers aren’t just going to last.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 15, 2020 07:16PM
anonymouse1
Both ours failed at the same time (well, one was technically still working, but it was on it's last legs) so we replaced both.

Same here. Also Costco had the matched set on sale for less than buying those units separately.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 15, 2020 07:27PM
Rick-o
Somewhat interesting situation in my small town. I've noticed that certain people in town have BOTH washer and dryer sitting at the curb waiting for scrappers or waste management to pick up.

I'm certain that both machines haven't failed at the same time, so one or the other must still be in working condition.

Seems like in your area one could live forever without purchasing a washer or dryer just buy checking the curbs for whatever they need. With enough searching and sorting, one might even be able to acquire a matching set over time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 15, 2020 07:31PM
.....if your washer/dryer loses one sock.....do you toss out the one left......????

......you can use it for sock puppets or match to another lost sock for odd pairing.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 07:31PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 15, 2020 07:45PM
Carnos Jax
I suspect the newer washers aren’t just going to last.

We got 7 or 8 years out of the last one. When it started having problems, we had a guy come out to look at it. He was amazed that we hadn't had it serviced since we had bought it. He said they usually need service after a couple of years, and the lifespan is about 5-6 years. The washer before that lasted about 5 years. The one before that: more than 20 years. We left it at the old house when we moved.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 16, 2020 07:07AM
In my experience, gas dryers tend to last a long time. The only issue is the thermal fuse, which typically costs around $5 and takes about 15 minutes to replace if needed.

Washers on the other hand tend to have more issues.

I've replaced a few parts on my Samsung washing machine over it's lifetime. I've had to replace the lint tray assembly on the Samsung dryer as the plastic gets a thermal creep and the tray doesn't sit flush. It's a known problem with Samsung dryers. When I can no longer justify maintaining the washer, both will go for a package deal. Not sure what brand I will get, but it won't be Samsung.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 16, 2020 08:16AM
we bought Kenmore/Whirlpool matched pair 15 years or so ago. The "twins" were new on the market then, and Sears offered an insane deal so bought both even though, I think, just the washer failed.

Back then we pennysavered the dryer for free and it was taken by a happy couple. Now everything goes to the scrap heap.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: raz
Date: September 16, 2020 08:36AM
Fritz
Back then we pennysavered the dryer for free and it was taken by a happy couple. Now everything goes to the scrap heap.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Pennysaver. Gotta be 10+ years.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: fauch
Date: September 21, 2020 01:44PM
No, why would anyone throw out a perfectly good appliance because another one broke? It's not like RAM or brakes on the car...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020