Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
consensus on which Mac OS?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 15, 2020 06:43PM
Kind of an offshoot of this thread: [forums.macresource.com]

I think I know the answer here but just want to get a consensus and make sure I haven't missed anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

If you want to keep 32-bit app compatibility then stop at Mojave.
If you want to keep the HFS+ file system then stop at High Sierra--if you don't mind a little extra futzing.
If you want to keep the HFS+ file system without the extra futzing then stop at Sierra.

In summary, as long as you're ok with the APFS file system and your machine has a metal-capable video card then go to Mojave (for 32-apps) or Catalina (no 32-bit apps).

Generally speaking, Mojave and Catalina are overall better than previous OS versions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 07:01PM by AllGold.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: consensus on which OS?
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 15, 2020 06:48PM
I think Catalina made Apple Mail users miserable by removing column controls.

El Capitan destroyed Disk Utility.

Any other app/UI changes to to add to the lists?
Date: September 15, 2020 06:50PM
I forgot about Mail. I should have asked about that because I recalled at least one version was bad.

As for El Cap destroying Disk Utility, definitely, but that ship has already sailed.

Posted by: raz
Date: September 15, 2020 06:52PM
I’ll say one thing for Catalina...

My 2018 mini has not crashed once since the upgrade.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Re: consensus on which Mac OS?
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 15, 2020 07:25PM
You expect a consensus on this forum?
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 15, 2020 07:25PM
Mojave
Posted by: rz
Date: September 15, 2020 08:00PM
raz

Was it crashing before? I've had a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 for four years on two or three different OS's, with a non-native video card, a 3rd party USB 3 card, and PCI card with an SSD on it and it has never crashed. And it basically runs 24/7.
Posted by: raz
Date: September 15, 2020 08:49PM
rz
raz

Was it crashing before? I've had a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 for four years on two or three different OS's, with a non-native video card, a 3rd party USB 3 card, and PCI card with an SSD on it and it has never crashed. And it basically runs 24/7.

Every couple of days. Crash report had it in the T 2 chip software. The pro it replaced was rock solid until the power supply went.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 15, 2020 09:41PM
AllGold
Kind of an offshoot of this thread: [forums.macresource.com]

I think I know the answer here but just want to get a consensus and make sure I haven't missed anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

If you want to keep 32-bit app compatibility then stop at Mojave. Yep.

If you want to keep the HFS+ file system then stop at High Sierra--if you don't mind a little extra futzing. It's complicated. Installing onto a SSD boot drive, you'll end up with APFS, otherwise HFS+, but if you clone from a HS boot drive onto a SSD that has HFS+ then you can boot from HS on the HFS+ vol.

If you want to keep the HFS+ file system without the extra futzing then stop at Sierra. Yep.

In summary, as long as you're ok with the APFS file system and your machine has a metal-capable video card then go to Mojave (for 32-apps) or Catalina (no 32-bit apps). Judgment call. If your Mac feels sluggish under HS then upgrading to Mojave is only going to make it worse.

Generally speaking, Mojave and Catalina are overall better than previous OS versions? Opinions vary. I liked El Cap more.

...Also, of note: High Sierra loses support (security updates) when Big Sur ships.

Posted by: jh
Date: September 15, 2020 10:58PM
When and if Disk Warrior can upgrade to support (which may not be their fault) APFS file system would be nice also.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: September 16, 2020 01:08AM
I know this is going to sound a little strange, but I would need a chart taped to my wall to know which OS number corresponds to which pictorial/national park/descriptive name. Which one is Yosemite and which one Sierra and so forth? When I click on "about this Mac" I now get the name Mojave. Did that happen in earlier editions? I can't honestly remember.

El Capitan is a rock in Yosemite, and they are both in the Sierras, although not quite the high Sierras. And Catalina is either a island or just a personal name, but definitely a long way away from Highway 99 or 395.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 16, 2020 01:47AM
Ca Bob
I know this is going to sound a little strange, but I would need a chart taped to my wall to know which OS number corresponds to which pictorial/national park/descriptive name.

Here are the California names used after they ran out of cats.

2013 10.9 Mavericks
2014 10.10 Yosemite
2015 10.11 El Capitan
2016 10.12 Sierra
2017 10.13 High Sierra
2018 10.14 Mojave
2019 10.15 Catalina
2020 11.0 Big Sur
2021 ?????
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 16, 2020 08:17AM
Right under the name "Mojave" is the Version 10.14.x. That is the OS "number".

Ca Bob
I know this is going to sound a little strange, but I would need a chart taped to my wall to know which OS number corresponds to which pictorial/national park/descriptive name. Which one is Yosemite and which one Sierra and so forth? When I click on "about this Mac" I now get the name Mojave. Did that happen in earlier editions? I can't honestly remember.

El Capitan is a rock in Yosemite, and they are both in the Sierras, although not quite the high Sierras. And Catalina is either a island or just a personal name, but definitely a long way away from Highway 99 or 395.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 16, 2020 08:45AM
GGD
Here are the California names used after they ran out of cats.

2013 10.9 Mavericks
2014 10.10 Yosemite
2015 10.11 El Capitan
2016 10.12 Sierra
2017 10.13 High Sierra
2018 10.14 Mojave
2019 10.15 Catalina
2020 11.0 Big Sur
2021 11.x Arnold

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 16, 2020 09:17AM
Sticking with Sierra on my Mac Pro, for as long as possible. I have the MBPs on High Sierra. They will stay there as long as there is a version of Firefox that works with HS.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 16, 2020 09:44AM
I’ve got El Cap on my 4,1 MP with any 32 bit apps I still use along with Adobe CS 6 and Catalina on my 7,1 MP for my audio work with Pro Tools. They are both really solid. I don’t update Catalina until Avid blesses the update. So far it’s been problem free.

JoeM
Date: September 17, 2020 11:57PM
Sarcany
AllGold
Generally speaking, Mojave and Catalina are overall better than previous OS versions? Opinions vary. I liked El Cap more.

...Also, of note: High Sierra loses support (security updates) when Big Sur ships.

I'd like to get a little more information--and maybe even some "consensus" on how desirable the different OS versions are.

Sarcany, can you elaborate on why you prefer El Cap?

I was under the impression, although I don't know exactly why, that Sierra was better in every way than El Capitan.

I'd also like to know how people feel about Sierra vs High Sierra.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 233
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020