advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ughhh, speaking of appliances, who do we like for dishwashers?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 15, 2020 07:36PM
Turns out my Frigidaire is slowly biting the dust ... repairman says the motor is going bad. I have a home warranty company and they won't cover the repair because it's already had one prior repair, but they are giving me a decent sized payout to buy a replacement washer.

So... who do we like? (I'm hearing Bosch and Whirlpool, but maybe you all know of some especially good deals out there...)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ughhh, speaking of appliances, who do we like for dishwashers?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 15, 2020 07:39PM
Bosch [www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 15, 2020 07:43PM
Bosch.

Posted by: steve...
Date: September 15, 2020 07:55PM
Dishwashers? We don't need no stinking dishwashers!

Old school hand washing. thumbs up

Northern California Coast
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 15, 2020 08:04PM
What is a decent size payout?

We have a one year warranty when we bought the house and they would give us $100 discount for a new fridge.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 15, 2020 08:04PM
Bosch.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 15, 2020 08:07PM
.....Julio or Manuel.....Hector is good in a pinch too.......don't forget to tip them......!!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 15, 2020 08:19PM
How do the cheaper Bosch Ascentas rate?
Date: September 15, 2020 08:24PM
I'd heard Bosch as well, but I'd also heard that the newer Bosch's weren't nearly so good as the ones that were sold, say, 5-10 years ago. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Posted by: abevilac
Date: September 15, 2020 08:25PM
In my previous home I had purchased the CR recommended 3 drawer Bosch and I loved it. We moved and the new house had an older Bosch and although I miss the 3rd drawer, it’s a good machine too.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 15, 2020 09:18PM
Not Bosch. Nothing but problems with the control board.
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: September 15, 2020 09:47PM
The lady at the big L store pointed us to a Maytag while we were looking at a Bosch in January. As I recall the Bosch has an unusual drying process that she thought we may not like. The Maytag has performed just fine. It is quiet. It replaced a Whirlpool.

Maytag MDB8989SHZ

Long time Mac user
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: September 15, 2020 10:12PM
Bosch.

Posted by: JEB
Date: September 16, 2020 12:04AM
Bosch
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 16, 2020 12:14AM
We bought a Whirlpool 5 years ago. It was 1/3 the price of a comparable Bosch. It cleans very well and is so quiet, its easy to forget it is running.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 16, 2020 07:12AM
Whirlpool.

Or pony up for a high-end Bosch.

Lower-end Bosch models (including ones CR recommended) had serious problems in as little as 18 months per the user reviews on CR's website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2020 07:16AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 16, 2020 08:11AM
what Bill said.

as I've written before, every service guy we've had said Whirlpool products for new major kitchen appliances of any kind. W/D included.

If they fail, other than a fridge, they can usually be repaired by anyone with a little mechanical know how for little $.

We've had only Whirlpool stuff in my fam since 1960, no joke.
My parents gave me their Sears Kenmore (by Whirlpool) w/d in 1980.
They was 20 years old then. I had replaced the motor once in the dryer and a belt. I left them in the house when I sold it. I know the next owner had them for at least another 5 years.

Bosch is bloody $$ to repair. They are very quiet .... especially when they don't work.
They also tend to stop making parts easily available sooner.
Bosch is great for industry, cars, communications, TV gear, etc.
But home stuff, buy from a company what predominates there.

Whatever you do, friends don't let friend buy LG or Samsmug appliances.
One couple had smug to the house 3 times in the 1st year of ownership.
Youse gets whats youse pays for.

Our dw is 15 or so. I've replaced the lock plate $6. The chopper assy at the exit drain. $6. Door gasket, $30. The gasket wasn't the issue, it was the lock plate.

The one mistake we made with the dw was fashion over form. We bought with the controls "inside". No service issues from it, just stoopit.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2020 08:18AM by Fritz.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 16, 2020 08:32AM
I'll repeat the response to all such questions: I won't have anything but Whirlpool in my home, based on my 23 years in my own appliance repair business. Some other brands may be prettier, have a better shelf/rack arrangement. Tough! Whirlpool parts are always available and most are still made in this country. Washer replacement rotary timers are sometimes made in China, but almost all of the components are made in the US or Mexico. These appliances are easy to work on and the replacement parts tend to be cheaper than most. I believe Whirlpool still owns 50% of the laundry market.

Bosch is a very good brand, but expensive to repair. LG and Samsung make it difficult to buy repair parts from independent suppliers.

PeterB
Turns out my Frigidaire is slowly biting the dust ... repairman says the motor is going bad. I have a home warranty company and they won't cover the repair because it's already had one prior repair, but they are giving me a decent sized payout to buy a replacement washer.

So... who do we like? (I'm hearing Bosch and Whirlpool, but maybe you all know of some especially good deals out there...)

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 16, 2020 09:21AM
SurfMacJpMtb
The lady at the big L store pointed us to a Maytag while we were looking at a Bosch in January. As I recall the Bosch has an unusual drying process that she thought we may not like. The Maytag has performed just fine. It is quiet. It replaced a Whirlpool.

Maytag MDB8989SHZ

With all the recommendations for Whirlpool, will just point out that Maytag has been owned by Whirlpool since 2006. The name is used on Whirlpool designs since then.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 16, 2020 09:50AM
Bought a Bosch about 5 yrs ago and happy with it. However, if you're coming from a metal close handle type machine, you'll be amazed at how long the cleaning cycle has become. I'd say it's tripled since the "old days." And I think that is because the new machines essentially wash three times. My machine takes 2:45 for one cycle, and that is fine if you put it on overnight which we usually do, but sort of jarring if you're used to the old variety.
Date: September 16, 2020 10:12AM
Thanks everyone. Obviously I'm looking at either Bosch or Whirlpool. Lowes has a pretty deep discount on one particular Whirlpool model, but what's making me a little hesitant to pull the trigger is some of the negative reviews complaining about things like rust, parts breaking off right from the get-go, etc.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 16, 2020 10:19AM
The other big thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturers are constantly changing the model numbers so that it's sometimes impossible to compare models from what you read in CR, or similar magazines.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 16, 2020 12:52PM
PeterB,

We have a Miele and it's very good. Our old place had an Electrolux and it was very good. Both very quiet. Both get the dishes clean. Kitchen Aid is highly regarded, too. Not sure which I'd go for on the next go-around but likely Kitchen Aid. Good drying and highly adjustability racks are important. I also like the separate rack for knives/spoons/forks/etc. Now that I've had a machine with a separate rack, I wouldn't go for a model that uses a basket.

See this thread for some details:

<[forums.macresource.com]

I stand by the advice I offered. Get a machine with a heating element. Get a machine with adjustable racks. Get a machine with a silverware rack. Get a machine that is quiet. Check them out in person and bring a dinner plate and pot with you to see how they fit in the racks.

Robert
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 16, 2020 02:04PM
actually, thats what ours is, KitchenAid by Whirlpool as well.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: timg
Date: September 16, 2020 04:55PM
Bosch here as well. Can't speak to the low end ones, but our mid-range model has been great for the last 10 years and still going strong.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020