advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hear yee, Hear yee..., er, See yee, See yee! 1080p Webcams....
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 15, 2020 08:46PM
Seems like the Great 2020, Covid19 webcam shortage is abating. I'm seeing tons of (Chinese) 1080p webcams on Bezoville these days, w/ specs and prices all over the place. Not sure when mainstream webcams are gonna be readily available, so in the meantime, how does one evaluate the new glut of webcams flowing to our shores?

I took a flyer on a $22 lightning deal for BIL/SIL to use in place of their built-in iSight of their ancient 24" C2D Alu iMac. Definitely an improvement, and w/ a bit more tweaking, perhaps it will even get to "good". Not upset w/ the $22, but would sure like to know how to blindly evaluate these newcomers to the webcam party....?

My thinking is to keep the new universe to webcams under $50, otherwise just waiting for the known commodities seems more prudent. The $22 unit is a whole lot smaller than I was expecting, but that's OK. I assuming that most of these newbies are also smaller than their pictures would lead you to believe, but as long as they perform.....

Multi glass element lenses vs unstated lenses. Manual focus vs auto-focus vs fixed focus. 65° to 140° fields of view. 30fps vs 60fps claimed frame rates. Various mounts and tilt/swivel options. Stereo vs noise canceling vs noise reducing vs unstated microphones. How does one pare down these offerings to get the best Zoom (and other videoconferencing options) performance?

Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hear yee, Hear yee..., er, See yee, See yee! 1080p Webcams....
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 15, 2020 08:58PM
I'm amazed that there is a market for webcams. Aren't most people using laptops these days? And doesn't every laptop come with a webcam?
My iMacs have had them for almost 20 years.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 15, 2020 09:13PM
I trust most things aukey makes... double what you paid -- jardster just got one, you can see if he chimes in.

Apple webcams are notorisly bad (except for a few models).

Wifes 3.06 C2D stutters on zoom... but her iPP is flawless.

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 15, 2020 09:14PM
jonny
I'm amazed that there is a market for webcams. Aren't most people using laptops these days? And doesn't every laptop come with a webcam?
My iMacs have had them for almost 20 years.

Not 1080p.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 15, 2020 09:21PM
I have the $50 Aukey 1080. Image is pretty good. Use it with the work laptop as I sit in front of a larger monitor and not the laptop screen.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 15, 2020 11:36PM
From what I understand, the Chinese WebCams have been around for a while. Of course by a while I mean since last spring when the namebrand ones sell in short supply.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 16, 2020 04:08AM
Like I said, BIL/SIL's early Alu iMac's webcam sucks by today's standards, and the $22 bezospecial is a significant upgrade w/o yet garnering enough info to know what I'm ultimately looking for. Yes, the Chinacams have been around for "awhile", but they've seemingly been multiplying like rabbits that last few months. I consider Aukey, Anker, RAVPower, Tao Tronics, and a couple of other Chinese electronic product makers to be part of the "mainstream" electronics' community, in that they've been around under their own/the same name for quite some time, make products of known quality, and generally stand behind their products w/ exceptional warranties and customer service.

For the purposes of this thread, I'm looking at the proliferation of unknown name webcams, many obviously offered under several different names. I figure these are all made in the same place, by the same maker, and just marketed by a bunch of end vendors that may not be around for the long haul, or be able, or willing to provide long term quality support for their products.

I recently had to go thru 3 HDMI to RCA adapters to get one that works at it should. The first one didn't keep its bearings set as to the desired resolution conversion, so when the resolution setting went awry, so did spousal unit. The second one seemed to overheat (got hot as heck), and kept dropping signal off, and often kept restarting, again causing spousal unit to get hot as heck, and go awry. Thankfully, the third one has maintained the desired resolution, hasn't overheated, dropped signal, or restarted spontaneously, and spousal unit is as happy w/ it as Goldibear eating her tasty, right-temped porridge, and sleeping in the comfy bed; not that I actually know this, but she hasn't gone awry, and I'm hoping it's a valid inference based on adapter #3's performance. I'm simply trying to avoid having history repeat itself in the current webcam space.
==
Posted by: jardster
Date: September 16, 2020 05:54AM
macphanatic
I have the $50 Aukey 1080. Image is pretty good. Use it with the work laptop as I sit in front of a larger monitor and not the laptop screen.

I got the same thing and it's on my new monitor. It is noticeably better quality than my 1.5 year old MBP web cam.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 16, 2020 08:24AM
jardster
macphanatic

I got the same thing and it's on my new monitor. It is noticeably better quality than my 1.5 year old MBP web cam.

The other nice feature is the tripod mount for those that want to position the cam differently.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020