advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ready to Move iMac 2009 to iMac 2019
Posted by: norse
Date: September 20, 2020 12:52AM
I'm finally ready to move my iMac 2009 to a new iMac 2019.

I think this is what I want to do. Use Target Disk Mode with the correct cable.

Apple docs refer to this cable:

[www.zagg.com]

I already have this cable. Is this the same as the Zagg?:

[www.amazon.com]

Is Target disk mode the best way to go? I also have Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine backups.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ready to Move iMac 2009 to iMac 2019
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 20, 2020 07:06AM
Target Disk Mode is definitely the best way to go using Migration Assistant. Be patient, the transfer could take a long time. Maybe let it run overnight, setting the new iMac’s Energy Saver to not sleep the iMac.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 20, 2020 07:14AM
Speed and screen L E A D E R !
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: September 20, 2020 08:19AM
Looks like your cable should be fine.

Enjoy your upgrade.

Leader.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 20, 2020 10:04AM
Speedy,

I disagree. In most cases, when the new machine can run the same OS as the old one, clone the machine to an external. Connect the external to the new machine. Reboot holding option key and choose the external as the boot drive. Boot. Open System Prefernces and make the external drive the permanent startup disc.

In Norse's case, clone the old iMac to an external. Use Migration Assistant to move everything to the new machine. Since I've switched to using an external drive as the boot drive for new desktop machines, I'd perform this as my next step.

Once the move to the new machine complete and all is stable and well, wipe the external and clone the new machine to it. Reboot off the external. Confirm all is well. Make the external the boot drive. Done.

Robert
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 20, 2020 10:36AM
I think what Robert is saying is much faster. Also that way you have a back up
Date: September 20, 2020 10:42AM
Speedy,

'course, I'd actually do two externals. Once that will end up becoming the new boot drive of the machine. The second as a clone backup of the new external boot drive. This is in addition to a Time Machine backup drive. The Time Machine drive can be a spacious platter drive since speed is less of a concern when it comes to incremental backups.

Robert
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 20, 2020 11:02AM
“ iMac 2009 to a new iMac 2019.”

Doubtful that they are running the same OS. No reason to run a new 2019 iMac from an external was indicated. Use TDM or migrate from the CCC clone if it is current. In that case, testing the clone first is a good idea.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: September 20, 2020 11:15AM
No way they can run the same OS. The 2009 tops out at 10.13.6 while the 2019 has 10.14.4 as a minimum.
Date: September 20, 2020 11:24AM
btfc,

Many perfectly good reasons to run the iMac off an external, i.e. more spacious boot drive for less money, speedy drive for less money, easier to replace the drive in the event of an issue, easy to move the drive in the event of an issue, etc.

Robert
Date: September 20, 2020 11:26AM
PeterW
No way they can run the same OS. The 2009 tops out at 10.13.6 while the 2019 has 10.14.4 as a minimum.

Correct. (Of course, it is always possible that DosDude’s method has been used to get around this, but not indicated).
Date: September 20, 2020 11:52AM
After 11+ years, it is time to set up the new computer as a fresh OS. Will reduce software challenges for years to come.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 20, 2020 11:53AM
btfc
No reason to run a new 2019 iMac from an external was indicated. Use TDM or migrate from the CCC clone if it is current. In that case, testing the clone first is a good idea.

True enough. He could have ordered it with an internal flash drive vs a Fusion drive. Internal flash would be faster than external NVMe.

Odd of needing a huge internal are prob really small, considering someing from a 2009 iMac, which shipped with a 1 TB drive. If its not full now, doubful it will fill more than 1 TB now.

Technically, using the external CCC ot TM drive would be faster to the 2019s USB 3 port speeds (assumign they are both USB 3) vs TDM from the 2009s USB 2 connection.

But again, assuming that the current 1 TB drvie isnt all that full, meh. Just give a minute.

As for the actual methodology -- I cant agree that any one way is "better" than the other. No idea how the OPs workflow is... I would love to start from scratch everytime, but my browsers and mail are critical... and trying to rebuild them from scratch didnt sound all that appealing... so I used TM.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 20, 2020 12:05PM
sekker
After 11+ years, it is time to set up the new computer as a fresh OS. Will reduce software challenges for years to come.

Yes, I posted about this a few days ago:

[forums.macresource.com]

I really like the benefits of a fresh setup, but not everybody is ready for what’s involved.
Date: September 20, 2020 01:43PM
btfc
sekker

Yes, I posted about this a few days ago:

[forums.macresource.com]

I really like the benefits of a fresh setup, but not everybody is ready for what’s involved.

It gets easier and easier to do these days, however. Top needs:
1) Make sure iCloud is all set up properly.
2) Use a password manager - iCloud keychain, 1Password or FastPass
3) Set up key cloud software (if you are not using iCloud for file sharing, use Dropbox free account, etc) for any additional missing credentials/random software installers.
4) All personal files in a clear place to move from the old machine to the new.

With this information, you can have a machine that is 80-90%+ within an hour or so, depends on how many files to transfer. The tail for the last 10% can take awhile, but if they have the old machine handy, not a big deal at all.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 20, 2020 03:21PM
norse
I think this is what I want to do. Use Target Disk Mode with the correct cable.

Apple docs refer to this cable:

[www.zagg.com]

I already have this cable. Is this the same as the Zagg?:

[www.amazon.com]

Is Target disk mode the best way to go? I also have Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine backups.

That cable should physically connect the two iMacs, and it probably would work when the 2019 iMac (or any USB-C Mac) is in TDM for the 2009 to see as a USB hard drive, but I have my doubts that the reverse would work so that the 2019 could see the 2009's drive.

Back in 2009, I think the only interface that TDM would use was Firewire, so you would need a FW cable and a FW to USB-C adapter (assuming that they exist) for the 2019 iMac, then it can see the 2009's drive when the 2009 is in TDM.

Do you have a link to the Apple documentation that gave you the impression that this would work for your situation?

Backing up or cloning the 2009's drive to an external might be the simpler solution.
Date: September 20, 2020 05:52PM
The OP’s cable might not support data transfer. Only way to know for certain is to test it.

Posted by: GGD
Date: September 20, 2020 06:07PM
Speedy
The OP’s cable might not support data transfer. Only way to know for certain is to test it.

I don't think the cable is the issue, it's the 2009 iMac implementation of Target Disk Mode that's the issue. It makes the computer look like a FireWire drive, doesn't interface with USB.
Date: September 20, 2020 06:28PM
GGD
Speedy

I don't think the cable is the issue, it's the 2009 iMac implementation of Target Disk Mode that's the issue. It makes the computer look like a FireWire drive, doesn't interface with USB.

Clearing away the cobwebs, I do recall that was an issue on many Macs. Best to use an external as an intermediary to do the transfer.

Date: September 20, 2020 10:44PM
I need to supply more info.

Old iMac: OS is High Sierra 10.13.6

New iMac: Has the hard drive/Fusion combo with whatever OS installed.

I have 32GB of ram to install.

I have a 500GB SSD Samsung 970 EVO going into a Fledging Shell Thunder enclosure for bootup use.

Apple links:
[support.apple.com]
[support.apple.com]

Now that btfc mentioned it, I should do a clean install (accumulated too much crap in the System folder) and copy the apps with its data over as I have time. I would use the old iMac until everything is moved over. Do I use Migration Assistant to move a few apps/data at a time?

OH WAIT...I forgot about the preference files in the System folder. I would HAVE to download/install the apps AND redo all my preferences, correct?

I've been getting a hard drive overheating dialog box (ready to fail). I can't remember where the message is coming from. Drive Genius or Techtool Pro 8 or Apple?? The old iMac's fan has been roaring on and off this past year. I tried spraying air through the vents.

I've been using CCC each night and Time Machine on two external drives. Just in case.
Date: September 21, 2020 02:38PM
Sounds like you’ve set yourself up very well.

Some apps can be dragged across and work fine, some will work if you raid needed files from (user)>Library>Application Support and/or Preferences, or possibly other places, and others will never be happy unless you do a new install (always the preferred option!!)

You could run the new iMac off the external with a migration from the old one and set up a fresh install on the internal until everything is working to your satisfaction (or vice/versa).

T2 chip and booting from an external drive:

[support.apple.com]

You could boot into Recovery mode, install a fresh system to the external, and migrate to it:

[support.apple.com]

(Then set up the internal as new)

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions, or I’d start a new thread.
Date: September 21, 2020 04:32PM
Thanks for everyone's comments!

Is Catalina "safe" enough to install at this time? Or should I go with the prior OS? It's been so long since I've upgraded OS, that I forgot the name of the OS before Catalina.
Date: September 21, 2020 04:44PM
Mojave, then Catalina.

Mojave is the last OS that officially supports 32 bit apps; it is kind of a bridge between the old and new worlds of mac os. It also fully embraces AFPS partitioning scheme, and should get system updates for a while yet. Catalina makes some major changes, to iTunes in particular. Have you checked to see if your iMac can run Mojave?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020