advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nosy question -- Internet Service Provider (and how much $$)
Posted by: MikeF
Date: September 24, 2020 03:27PM
I've spent portions of the last two days with Frontier trying to see what's available for our current internet. We have 50/50 (with a "Valued Customer Upgrade" to 75/75) + phone, all fiber, for $72.99. Best they can do with regards to an upgrade is 100/100 + phone for $84.99. The reason behind this is that in December and January, family is coming to visit, and at one point, there will be 4 online learners at the same time, without even considering the adults doing whatever the adults do.

The first Frontier interaction couldn't give me anything since all the "best" deals are for new customers, and they suggested calling the "Loyality" number. Above is the best they could do. The neighbor just switched to Spectrum and I see that Spectrum provides 200/200 and phone for less than I currently pay and that's even after their 1-year discount ends.

And for note, we're in Long Beach, CA, 90815. At least Frontier and Spectrum cover this area. So, what do you have and are you happy with it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nosy question -- Internet Service Provider (and how much $$)
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 24, 2020 03:34PM
Long way from CA here in PA, but we just upgraded to 200/200 FiOS, for $50 per month, internet only. This is a $5 savings over the old 50/50 plan. 200/200 looks to be the new default plan. I'm pretty sure it's due to direct competition from Comcast cable, which has long had a $50 or less price point for their internet-only default plan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 03:35PM by Acer.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 24, 2020 03:37PM
According to this - [support.zoom.us]

the max bandwidth that zoom with use is 3Mbps. I wouldn't bother upgrading.

...although I'd make sure I have a recent vintage router with good coverage for everyone.

Posted by: jdc
Date: September 24, 2020 03:37PM
Not sure what Im paying now for comcast, but for the last 7 or so years, ATT DSL @ 50/15 for $30. No phone line for at least that long.

Never a slowdown with 2 adults and 2 teenagers and everything in the whole house wireless. Not one wired device. 4 iphones, 6 macs, 3 ipads, 2 printers and various others dodads. I only say that cause I find the "1000/1000!!!!" selling scream kinda of overblown. Ive WFH for all those years -- we always are near 1 TB of data every month. More than enough bandwidth...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 24, 2020 03:47PM
Probably no help to you, but I have AT&T U-Verse at 25/5 for $35/month. That rate is supposed to be "permanent".

I'm the only one in the house so that speed is more than adequate for me and I think it's a good value. The TV service on the other hand costs much more and I think it's most definitely NOT a good value.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 24, 2020 04:14PM
(Mid-Atlantic) Comcrap 400/12 is $50/month (now includes Peacock Premium streaming).

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: space-time
Date: September 24, 2020 04:31PM
at the old house, the only ISP was Comcast. About $80 for 300/10

at the new house, I have FiOS 200/200 $40 (after $10 automatic payment discount) and Comcast (200/5) $40 (also automatic payment, no discount). Both are normal rates, not intro, no contract. I keep BOTH since I like the 200 upload of FiOS and I want to have redundancy. Also I use Comcast for cell phones so if I were to cancel Comcast my cell phone bill would jump by $80 ($20 per line).

I am considering betting a router that takes 2 WAN and combine them into a single LAN. I asked about this and apparently a $60 Edge Router 4 can do this. Just didn't get to it yet.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 24, 2020 04:35PM
mattkime

...although I'd make sure I have a recent vintage router with good coverage for everyone.

This is just one reason Zoom is winning.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 24, 2020 04:38PM
I'm with AT&T (mostly because I'm a cheapskate - when Spectrum took over Time-Warner, my monthly bill went up around 40% for the same package I've always had: just a landline & internet).

So - now I've got an AT&T U-Verse package deal:
$70/month for "Internet 25" (25 Mbps download, Includes 1TB per month) and "AT&T Phone 200" (up to 200 minutes/month within the U.S.).
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 24, 2020 04:38PM
We moved to fiber from MetroNet, has been nice - when it works. Plenty of growing pains, however.

So far, this works well during the day, it's the evening where there are bottlenecks.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 24, 2020 04:48PM
$59 plus fees, 500/500 Frontier . Just had their router start getting flaky restarting itself. Tech is like you can use your Orbi it will probably work better than our router. With wife doing zoom, got it up and running. Frontier router just came in the mail.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: September 24, 2020 05:24PM
USI Fiber in Minneapolis. 300 / 300 for $50.00 per month, includes any and all Taxes and fees.

It is their slowest plan.

Steve
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 24, 2020 05:30PM
Xfinity/Comcast in Georgia. Internet only. 300/23. $60 a month. I think i do have a contract but they are the only speedy game in town so it is what it is.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 05:31PM by graylocks.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 24, 2020 05:52PM
graylocks
Xfinity/Comcast in Georgia. Internet only. 300/23. $60 a month. I think i do have a contract but they are the only speedy game in town so it is what it is.

Id love to get those numbers from comcast. I do a lot of uploading -- and Im now stuck at 5. If I want 10, another $20 per month. 15, another $20 on top of that. ugh. Who knew 15 up would seem "speedy"

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 24, 2020 06:06PM
FiOS on Long Island. I think the contract is 50/50, but I was given a "free upgrade" when Cablevision up'd their game. $52 with tax & tip.
No TV or pho. I own the router.

In bf Fla, $50/mo bDSL 3/8. Router rent included. Keep forgetting to fix that.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 24, 2020 07:21PM
mattkime

Industry rule of thumb for a 1080p video stream is 4 Mbps, with some estimates up to 6 Mbps. The numbers on that Zoom page looks suspect.

It's not like they would ever lie about anything, though.

[www.channelpartnersonline.com]
[www.legalreader.com]
[thenextweb.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 07:26PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 24, 2020 07:26PM
ATT fiber with Uverse. 1000 down, not sure about up. It’s stoopit fast.
Posted by: jawg
Date: September 24, 2020 08:16PM
Also AT&T Fiber Uverse. 1000/1000, although speed test usually shows 900+. Cost is $100/month.
Kansas City suburbs. We have choices of Google fiber, Spectrum (formerly Time-Warner), or AT&T.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 24, 2020 08:27PM
Spectrum (which is actually Charter) - 100 for $72 packaged with phone. no contract.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Golfer
Date: September 24, 2020 08:40PM
pales compared to the rest, but out in the boonies, 200/50 internet only $89.99 with Mediacom and thrilled to have it.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 24, 2020 08:54PM
I have spectrum and pay $45/month although they state that they're giving me a $25 discount for having a 24 month commitment. I'm not sure if there would be fees for leaving early. I think its 100Mbit down but I can't verify this andI've long forgotten.

Posted by: rouderon
Date: September 24, 2020 08:55PM
AT&T fiber 1k/1k - $50 w/no contract (includes HBO Max). I do have them for my cell service, which is how I got the low rate. It goes to $60 after a year, which is still over $20 less than my previous provider at 300/20.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 24, 2020 09:20PM
What you've stated is a LOT of data (and you haven't even men pRon usage yet).......... boink smiley
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 25, 2020 08:59AM
Provider: Spectrum Charter
Price $65/month
Service 100mb down, 25mb up

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: DavidS
Date: September 25, 2020 11:26AM
rouderon
AT&T fiber 1k/1k - $50 w/no contract (includes HBO Max). I do have them for my cell service, which is how I got the low rate. It goes to $60 after a year, which is still over $20 less than my previous provider at 300/20.

I have the same thing but no longer have AT&T for cell service. I just called and asked them for a new promo after paying $70/month for a year.
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 25, 2020 11:41AM
Xfinity here, started out as a promotional rate for $80 Internet+ 140 channel TV (I think 100Mb/s or maybe 200Mb/s) Actual bill was $~110 because of course there was the $10 "HD TV Fee" and a $10 box fee and the arbitrarily priced OTA rebroadcast fees.

Speed has increased in 4 years to something like 300Mb/s (I've got an older/cheaper modem that seems to max out at 286Mb/s) but we're now paying $176 for otherwise unaltered service.

However, I did save a little over the summer when I discovered that there's a Seasonal package you can enroll in for $9/service (so $9 for internet, $9 for TV) so that you don't have to CANCEL your service but your TV is cut down to basic, and your internet is gutted to 3Mb/s - the other catch is that you have to enroll for a minimum of 90 days. Luckily my cable modem doesn't seem to have been hit with the throttling so it was like paying $27 (because again taxes and fees) for 300Mb/s internet. Thinking of dropping TV and using Sling... the only restraint on that is the killer feature of the cable box - the LAST button on the remote to switch quickly between two disparate channels without knowing the channel #. Would that you could do this with Sling or HDHomeRun's app and the cable box would be gone. At $100+ a month for that singular button benefit I think its days are numbered now that I'm back to regular $170s bills.

Edit to note upload speed is solidly measured at 12Mb/s. It likely is billed at 20Mb/s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2020 11:42AM by gabester.
Posted by: rouderon
Date: September 25, 2020 12:22PM
Thanks for the tip, DavidS! After over a decade with AT&T I'm seriously looking to switch carriers due to coverage in the area I now live.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 25, 2020 04:25PM
I'm paying about $70/m for ATT 1Gigabit. Cut the TV since nobody watches live tv except me. I watch Sports on AntennaTV.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 25, 2020 07:23PM
Counting down the days until our 10GB Internet connection gets hooked up at work. Yes, 10GB. Dedicated fiber pairs to the backbone in the state.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 29, 2020 09:01AM
$54.99/mo 100/100 Verizon FiOS. This after a 12-month promo price of $39.99.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020