advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2020 - the year of the sort out
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 26, 2020 09:48AM
So being confined to quarters for weeks on end a large number of the population took the opportunity to have a good sort out. We have managed to move on via charity shops, eBay and FB Marketplace quite a lot of stuff and today a bit of a milestone was passed. This morning someone came to the door to take away over 500 audio cassettes. These were not commercial ones but home recordings of the vinyl we had so we could listen in the car along with some radio recordings. We have all the music in digital and in most cases still on the vinyl but it was quite a thing to see them all leave the premises.

I wasn't going to erase them all so couldn't really sell them, they were freecycled and I think the guy gives them out to elderly or housebound people. Up to him what he does but that era has now gone. Well actually not quite as we still have loads of commercial cassettes, several basic cassette players and in storage a high end 3 head cassette recorder but that will be another day.

Before anyone asks, yes I do still have some 8-tracks but nothing to play them on these days.

Paul

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2020 - the year of the sort out
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 26, 2020 10:19AM
Brilliant. I really need to do the same. We have a bunch of my late inlaws junk.... Just got rid of my mother in law's couch that wasn't being used except by mice. My wife is still angry about that. She won't listen to the 'It's just a thing, not a person' logic.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 26, 2020 11:07AM
cough cough

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 26, 2020 11:13AM
voodoopenguin
So being confined to quarters for weeks on end a large number of the population took the opportunity to have a good sort out...

okay...yeah, I guess I wasn't the only one that's doing this (using the opportunity to clean out the place).
It's amazing how much "stuff" that seemed important years ago is now pretty much just clutter.
On the plus side, I've discovered that a few of the things are apparently highly desired for some reason, and sell for quite a bit on ebay.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 26, 2020 11:18AM
Nearly a couple decades back (geez) I used to love starting my Saturday by watching a few episodes of Clean Sweep on TLC -- that was the show where they'd clean out one or two rooms and then remake the room.

The cleaning part was what grabbed me. They moved absolutely everything out of the room -- furniture, stuff, closet stuff -- and put it outside. Then they'd lay out a big sheet or mark an area, and the owner would be told they could only keep what they could fit in this cordoned-off space. I think sometimes they'd do that once again. Everything else would be sold in a big garage sale (to offset the cost of whatever renovation they were doing) and the owner would commit to donating everything that would not sell.

I loved this show; got me pumped up to tackle a closet or a room on a weekend when it needed to be done. I do something similar now; a couple of times a week, if I can, I pick a shelf, drawer, bankers box, etc., and go through it. I've moved a lot of stuff along this way, found some really good things, and furthered my "it's just things, not emotions" mentality a little further.

It's not an end-all, and I still have kipple* encroaching in my life. And we've had some issues with donations; i.e., for a long time the library was not taking book donations, a few local charities were not accepting any sort of donation except money and/or foods, etc. Still and all, it's cathartic and helps us make a little more progress.

* kipple: I first read about kipple in Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? ages back. As he described it:

"Kipple is useless objects, like junk mail or match folders after you use the last match or gum wrappers or yesterday's homeopape. When nobody's around, kipple reproduces itself. For instance, if you go to bed leaving any kipple around your apartment, when you wake up the next morning there's twice as much of it. It always gets more and more."

I particularly identify with his theory that it reproduces itself. That seems to be the case in my world. The character also talks about the futility of the battle, though:

"No one can win against kipple," [Isidore] said, "except temporarily and maybe in one spot, like in my apartment I've sort of created a stasis between the pressure of kipple and nonkipple, for the time being. But eventually I'll die or go away, and then the kipple will again take over."

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2020 11:21AM by Zoidberg.
Date: September 26, 2020 11:53AM
Zoidberg
cough cough

Even free the shipping cost to the US would be a bit much. Am I still the token Brit?

Paul

Posted by: August West
Date: September 26, 2020 01:19PM
With your concert history, if there are any bootlegs at home, give me a shout, brother!

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 26, 2020 01:48PM
voodoopenguin
Zoidberg
cough cough

Even free the shipping cost to the US would be a bit much. Am I still the token Brit?

Paul

No tokens on MRF! By definition, we are all a little special since we are here...
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 26, 2020 03:32PM
...I think the guy gives them out to elderly...

Lots of us 'elderly' enjoy the old stuff (Clapton, Marc Bolan, Mick Ronson, etc);
especially when it's free!
thumbsup smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: September 26, 2020 04:23PM
MrNoBody
...I think the guy gives them out to elderly...
Lots of us 'elderly' enjoy the old stuff
Sometimes I forget, to a good percentage of the population I am probably elderly.

Paul

Posted by: Schpark
Date: September 27, 2020 09:07AM
That's funny for my cassette collection I would get rid of my commercial cassette before the ones I recorded from vinyl or CD with my 3-head cassette deck. My recordings sound much better than the commercial ones.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Date: September 27, 2020 09:28AM
Schpark
That's funny for my cassette collection I would get rid of my commercial cassette before the ones I recorded from vinyl or CD with my 3-head cassette deck. My recordings sound much better than the commercial ones.

Mine were also mostly recorded using my 3 head machine but we don't play cassettes any more. The commercial ones are also to go soon but need more sorting as surprisingly a few have some value.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020