advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The 11 Foot 8 (+8) Bridge Demands a Sacrifice!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 26, 2020 03:16PM
And... sure enough... there's a truck to provide it.

[youtu.be]

Now that it has been fed, it shall slumber... until the next 11' Foot 16" truck wanders by.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The 11 Foot 8 (+8) Bridge Demands a Sacrifice!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 26, 2020 03:22PM
It's been such a long wait, thank you Paul!

The police vehicle was a nice touch too.
emoticon-tv-015

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 26, 2020 03:31PM
That truck wasn't as aerodynamic afterwards. smiley-laughing001

Posted by: MikeF
Date: September 26, 2020 03:31PM
Do they get a ticket or is the shame sufficient? Or a bill for roadway cleanup?
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 26, 2020 03:47PM
yeah, who pays for that cleanup? some of that debris could be a tire hazard.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 26, 2020 04:02PM
There need to be a version with explosive cheering

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 26, 2020 04:37PM
Sometimes I think these truckers are doing this on purpose.

“Hey, did you see me on the YouTube?” shiner smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2020 04:38PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 26, 2020 05:16PM
Thought he might take a second run at it...I think he might have made it on the retry.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 26, 2020 07:05PM
Almost went all the way through. Love the biker at the end staring at the opened truck. That was satisfying.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 26, 2020 10:39PM
As these occurrences are now few and far between, I believe it's cause for celebration.

First, that sign needs to be a much bigger, wider screen.

Then, after the initial red light and warning, on detecting the truck moving forward anyway, the sign flashes THIS WILL NOT END WELL FOR YOU in big letters

After the impact, the sign displays fireworks and as one commenter suggested, a rating of the impact.

It then diplays DO WAH DIDDY DIDDY DUM DIDDY DO.

For the finalethis plays loudly from a hidden PA speaker.

Subsequently, there's a personalized programme presented to the driver acknowledging his participation and performance with a command curtain call of sorts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 26, 2020 11:08PM
That all sounds good...

The problem is too many people don't read signs. It doesn't matter how big or obvious it is, they just don't read it.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 27, 2020 12:20AM
AllGold
That all sounds good...

The problem is too many people don't read signs. It doesn't matter how big or obvious it is, they just don't read it.

Then those folks have rightfully EARNED having their vehicle turned into a convertible...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 27, 2020 06:05AM
The railroad has plenty of crossing arms. Maybe they could install some here. Why are there no videos of trucks going the other direction and losing their roofs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 27, 2020 06:13AM
The video says the tries were deflated. They were not but the damage was probably fatal to the box already. They can salvage the refrigeration unit and the lift-gate.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: September 27, 2020 09:02AM
Why doesn't it just swing a railroad crossing barrier in front of the oversize truck and temporarily say "Road Closed"?

Haha Speedy, I swear I did not read your post before mine. Great minds think alike I guess.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2020 09:03AM by Schpark.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 27, 2020 10:08AM
Speedy
The railroad has plenty of crossing arms. Maybe they could install some here.
Not their responsibility, Gregson St. belongs to the City of Durham. To correctly
solved 'the problem', Durham needs to lower the street ($$), a process most cities
with similar underpasses have done. The city never intended the street to be a big
truck
route, transit buses never had an issue with clearance so local govt. is
OK with it as-is.
Speedy
Why are there no videos of trucks going the other direction and losing their roofs.
iirc, Gregson is one-way, the next street over is Duke St. going the other way.
Trucks are reportedly using Gregson St. as a short-cut to the Durham Freeway.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 27, 2020 10:11AM
Speedy
The video says the tries were deflated. They were not but the damage was probably fatal to the box already. They can salvage the refrigeration unit and the lift-gate.

I think the tires were deflated afterwards, to lower the truck a bit so it could back out.

Honestly, the Railroad has lifted the bridge, the city has installed warning lights. I've seen a 4x4 lifted brodozer hit a parking garage height barrier. It was a large PVC Pipe. But where to put it? Why not a "NO TRUCKS" sign?

I think the city just has to fine the drivers and put a sign "No Trucks $FINE$"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 27, 2020 11:29AM
MrNoBody
Speedy
The railroad has plenty of crossing arms. Maybe they could install some here.
Not their responsibility, Gregson St. belongs to the City of Durham. To correctly
solved 'the problem', Durham needs to lower the street ($$), a process most cities
with similar underpasses have done. The city never intended the street to be a big
truck
route, transit buses never had an issue with clearance so local govt. is
OK with it as-is.
Speedy
Why are there no videos of trucks going the other direction and losing their roofs.
iirc, Gregson is one-way, the next street over is Duke St. going the other way.
Trucks are reportedly using Gregson St. as a short-cut to the Durham Freeway.

It was also mentioned in one writeup that there are water or sewer pipes under that road that can't easily be moved lower to have sufficient road structure above them.

Basically the railroad raised the bridge and tracks as much as they could without major changes to the approaches, the road surface is about as low as it can go without major, costly changes to the underground infrastructure
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 27, 2020 03:17PM
Me thinks an additional arch at the corner, with a pvc pipe or chains hanging down would cut doun on the number of sardine-canned trucks drastically.
Date: September 27, 2020 05:41PM
jonny
Me thinks an additional arch at the corner, with a pvc pipe or chains hanging down would cut doun on the number of sardine-canned trucks drastically.

Agreed.

But even as it's currently set up, it requires a very significant amount of stupidity by a driver to cause a problem. If it senses a vehicle that is over-height, the traffic light turns red and the sign tells you you're over-height and need to turn while you're given a minute or so at a full stop to read the sign and observe the overpass you're about to crash into if you continue on.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 27, 2020 08:28PM
But even as it's currently set up, it requires a very significant amount of stupidity by a driver to cause a problem. If it senses a vehicle that is over-height, the traffic light turns red and the sign tells you you're over-height and need to turn while you're given a minute or so at a full stop to read the sign and observe the overpass you're about to crash into if you continue on.

This.

All this is the bottom line.

Whether drivers don't read the sign, or read it and don't think it's meant for them, there's only so much to be done.

Anything more at this point should be born by my favorite monetary source— the backs of violators.

I'm all for municipalities engaging in what whiners call 'a money grab', when it's off the back of the aforementioned violators.

Don't read signs?

I don't care, pay The Man and pay BIG.

Oh, the local news should be required to show the footage with good pic of the drive.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 28, 2020 11:33AM
RAMd®d

This.

All this is the bottom line.

Whether drivers don't read the sign, or read it and don't think it's meant for them, there's only so much to be done.

Anything more at this point should be born by my favorite monetary source— the backs of violators.

I'm all for municipalities engaging in what whiners call 'a money grab', when it's off the back of the aforementioned violators.

Don't read signs?

I don't care, pay The Man and pay BIG.

Oh, the local news should be required to show the footage with good pic of the drive.
Everyone has momentary lapses of reason (and attantiveness). That will never change. The question is, how long does Durham want to put up with having this interstction tied up for hours with clean up crews (and resulting paraerwork) all the while the mess being streamed online? (IDK maybe they like the last part.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020