advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Guardian Alarm Cellular / Radio Upgrade - Time to move to Ring?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: October 01, 2020 09:00AM
Ok, just got a call from my alarm company and they are forcing me to update/upgrade my radio transmitter on my system due to the towers being updated. Ok, I understand and this isn't a problem. What is a problem is that they want $129.00 to do the "mandatory upgrade". So, I scheduled it and then I kind of wondered if it's time to "move along" over to RING alarm system. I have three entry doors and a glass breaking sensor right now (I believe I can do this with the echo plus). Would this be the time to "move along" and part ways?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Guardian Alarm Cellular / Radio Upgrade - Time to move to Ring?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 01, 2020 09:31AM
How do the monthly fees compare?

Date: October 01, 2020 09:37AM
mattkime

I'm paying $50ish / month for monitoring. What is RING $99/year?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 01, 2020 09:41AM
spacescape
mattkime

I'm paying $50ish / month for monitoring. What is RING $99/year?

...yes....time to switch.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 01, 2020 09:44AM
i just purchased a Ring system at Costco for $179. $100 yearly was too hard to pass up. Ring group on facebook says the service is spot on.

if you’re at all interested in a Simplisafe system let me know. i’m selling the one i had at my late brother’s house. great system and service but TBH, full service with them is $25 a month.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 09:47AM by graylocks.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 01, 2020 10:00AM
Be sure you're ok with Amazon having your data--that's the only downside I've heard about.
Date: October 01, 2020 10:10AM
anonymouse1
Be sure you're ok with Amazon having your data--that's the only downside I've heard about.

I have amazon echo's throughout the house so they are already listening to my kids argue.
Date: October 01, 2020 10:12AM
graylocks
i just purchased a Ring system at Costco for $179. $100 yearly was too hard to pass up. Ring group on facebook says the service is spot on.

if you’re at all interested in a Simplisafe system let me know. i’m selling the one i had at my late brother’s house. great system and service but TBH, full service with them is $25 a month.

This one?

[www.costco.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 01, 2020 10:26AM
So your cellular modem in your old alarm system is going obsolete... probably a 3G modem ? Yeah, upgrading it is necessary.

That said, there are a LOT of alarm systems out there with cellular connectivity and monitoring. Shop around.
Date: October 01, 2020 10:31AM
spacescape
graylocks

This one?

[www.costco.com]

yes. i think the sale ended 9/28. btw, that’s the gen 2 version. costco also sells the gen 1. i think the primary difference is design. both gens are still supported by ring.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: October 01, 2020 10:34AM
btw, Ring does not have a glass break sensor. almost a deal breaker for me but i decided to let it go. Simplisafe does have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 10:34AM by graylocks.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 01, 2020 11:41AM
graylocks
btw, Ring does not have a glass break sensor. almost a deal breaker for me but i decided to let it go. Simplisafe does have it.

Alexa will listen for glass breaking or smoke detectors going off.
Date: October 01, 2020 12:14PM
macphanatic
graylocks

i know. and what happens next? will Alexa alert a monitoring station to call the police?

Date: October 01, 2020 12:30PM
graylocks
macphanatic
graylocks

i know. and what happens next? will Alexa alert a monitoring station to call the police?

It notifies you. Note that you need to activate the monitoring feature each time you leave. Too bad it doesn't tie into the Ring service.
Date: October 01, 2020 12:46PM
macphanatic
It notifies you. Note that you need to activate the monitoring feature each time you leave. Too bad it doesn't tie into the Ring service.

not an ideal set up. better than nothing since i've decided to go with Ring though.

Date: October 01, 2020 12:47PM
macphanatic
graylocks
macphanatic
graylocks

Wow, that kind of sucks. I'm really on the fence. We do not have any Ring products. Really need / want to go this way but the glass break sensor via echo kind of stinks.
Posted by: d4
Date: October 01, 2020 12:55PM
Fake ADT sign $24.99/w Free Shipping @Amazon.
[www.amazon.com]

grinning smiley

Date: October 01, 2020 02:32PM
graylocks
macphanatic

not an ideal set up. better than nothing since i've decided to go with Ring though.

I believe that you can connect Alexa and Ring. If so, I wonder if Alexa could trigger a Ring alarm.

Side note - As I've replaced windows, I spent a bit more for impact resistant glazing (aka hurricane rated windows). The person who attempts entry thru these windows may die of blood loss before the cops respond. If you don't want to replace windows, you can have security film installed, which is very effective.
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 01, 2020 04:04PM
We have a Ring system. It ties into the doorbell, the smoke alarm and the electronic lock on the front door. I got it because we were already paying, what, $35 for the doorbell, and it's $100 a year for monitoring for the whole thing. If a door/window alarm is triggered they call the house if I don't turn it off in something like 15 seconds. If there's no answer they call my cell phone. If I answer I have to give them a secret code or they call the cops. If I don't answer either the house or the cell phone they call the cops. If the fire alarm goes off they first call the fire department and then they call the house and then my cell phone. The system can be turned on by the wireless panel, the app or by going out the front door and hitting the door lock on the electronic lock. It turns off coming in the front door if we use the keypad on the door lock to open the door. If we use a key we have to disable the system with the indoor keypad or the app.

We sold the motion detector that came in the kit on eBay because I didn't want to mess with worrying about the cat triggering it; they say that small animals won't trigger it but I still didn't want to mess with it. Instead I bought extra sensors for the windows/doors that are accessible. They do have a setting that turns on all the external alarms but not the motion detectors to allow you to wander around without triggering the alarm.

If you already have hard wired doors/windows they have a way of using them with the Ring system and so not having to use their sensors. I didn't do that because my hard wired sensors are 30 years old and the door sensors occasionally went wonky.

By the way, the second gen system has smaller sensors and a changed keypad that I like more than the original. Not better enough to replace the 3 keypads we have, however. I'd buy the second gen even if it's a few dollars more.
Date: October 02, 2020 09:31AM
Thank you for everyone's input. I might grab a Ring and get a couple of extra door sensors and "play with" the echo glass breakage settings on the echo seeing we have a few echo's in our home. But, on the fence with the simplisafe as well. Just kind of like the idea of being able to add a Ring Doorbell with the same plan.
Date: October 02, 2020 09:43AM
I will be waiting on a "deal" to pop up.
Date: October 02, 2020 09:58AM
spacescape

barring some sort of holiday deal, an alternate route is to order a minimal system from Ring and initiate monitoring. once you’re on a monitoring plan you get a 10% discount on further purchases. for what i needed it would have worked out to the package costco had.

Date: October 02, 2020 10:10AM
graylocks
spacescape

barring some sort of holiday deal, an alternate route is to order a minimal system from Ring and initiate monitoring. once you’re on a monitoring plan you get a 10% discount on further purchases. for what i needed it would have worked out to the package costco had.

This is probably the "best deal" at the moment. I have 4 cats so I wasn't planning on using the motion sensor so I could resell it. I need 3 door sensors for sure and would like a 4th for my exterior garage door.

[www.costco.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020