The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Boeing moving all 787 production to South Carolina
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 01, 2020 10:13AM
[www.seattletimes.com]

Not a good day for Everett, WA.

And in other Boeing news, the FAA chief has flown the 737Max himself, and thinks it's ready to go again.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Boeing moving all 787 production to South Carolina
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 01, 2020 10:19AM
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 01, 2020 10:24AM
Will it be made in a non-union plant?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 01, 2020 10:29AM
Speedy

The Dreamliner 787, yes. No unions (yet) in South Carolina.

The 737 Max will still be made in Renton WA which is union.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 01, 2020 10:33AM
I'm sure the union situation factored in, but the whole industry is in a tailspin, no pun intended. Whereas I think the travel industry will eventually come back (it always does) it will be a long time coming.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 01, 2020 10:38AM
Enjoy it, SC. When the tax incentives run out and you finally have to tell them, thanks, but you really got to start paying in for all these services we have to provide, they'll be on the road to the next state or perhaps Mexico without looking back.
Date: October 01, 2020 10:52AM
Zoidberg
I'm sure the union situation factored in, but the whole industry is in a tailspin, no pun intended. Whereas I think the travel industry will eventually come back (it always does) it will be a long time coming.

Absolutely, demand for commercial airplanes has evaporated. Demand will return but I agree it's going to be a long haul.

I'll be interested to see if many workers move from WA to SC for the 787 work.

It's been an epically bad year for Boeing.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 01, 2020 11:13AM
cbelt3

From the cars, it looks like that was an older picture.

Before this guy named Bezos. You may not have heard of him.
Date: October 01, 2020 11:24AM
That's a classic from 1971, in response to a major national turndown in the aerospace industry.

Yes things have changed a bit since then...but it's an oldie worth trotting out when Boeing makes these moves.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 01, 2020 11:57AM
Acer
Enjoy it, SC. When the tax incentives run out and you finally have to tell them, thanks, but you really got to start paying in for all these services we have to provide, they'll be on the road to the next state or perhaps Mexico without looking back.

Yep, just like other industries these states have attracted through tax incentives in the past, most will leave for the next big incentive after a while. You would think they might learn from the decades of this happening, but they don't.

Living in MA, over the decades I have seen a number of companies move production out of the state to elsewhere with a big tax incentive. 10-20 years later most have closed up shop in the state they moved to and either gone to yet another state with an incentive, moved to Mexico, or gone completely overseas.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 01, 2020 12:13PM
Boeing bet the company on a SST (super sonic transport) that failed to get off the ground. Ironically, the NBA team was named after this project that never came to be.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 01, 2020 12:29PM
did they make 737 all this time? they must have a ton of unsold 737s.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: October 01, 2020 12:38PM
JoeH
Acer

Yep, just like other industries these states have attracted through tax incentives in the past, most will leave for the next big incentive after a while. You would think they might learn from the decades of this happening, but they don't.

Living in MA, over the decades I have seen a number of companies move production out of the state to elsewhere with a big tax incentive. 10-20 years later most have closed up shop in the state they moved to and either gone to yet another state with an incentive, moved to Mexico, or gone completely overseas.

They're basic business decisions. Taxes, cost of materials, cost of facilities, cost of labor, etc all add to the cost of the product being produced and the price of the end result. If some of those costs can be reduced for a reasonable period of time then the move makes sense until the costs add back up again. Staying put doesn't address these costs as most of those costs aren't controllable by the company, but by outside forces - unions and politicians typically. But many times those outside forces don't see the consequences of their actions until it's too late. There are consequences to every decision no matter who makes it or how it's made, and in a complex world those consequences may be difficult to predict. Unfortunately our society has gotten to the point where we look for and embrace simple solutions to complex problems and end up suffering from the consequences we never bothered to look for or consider.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 01, 2020 02:29PM
bobinmurphy
JoeH
Acer

They're basic business decisions. Taxes, cost of materials, cost of facilities, cost of labor, etc all add to the cost of the product being produced and the price of the end result. If some of those costs can be reduced for a reasonable period of time then the move makes sense until the costs add back up again. Staying put doesn't address these costs as most of those costs aren't controllable by the company, but by outside forces - unions and politicians typically. But many times those outside forces don't see the consequences of their actions until it's too late. There are consequences to every decision no matter who makes it or how it's made, and in a complex world those consequences may be difficult to predict. Unfortunately our society has gotten to the point where we look for and embrace simple solutions to complex problems and end up suffering from the consequences we never bothered to look for or consider.

And some decisions are made to please Wall Street in the short term without being viable long term.
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 01, 2020 04:07PM
Lemon Drop
I'll be interested to see if many workers move from WA to SC for the 787 work.

That would be a culture shock, I'd imagine.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 01, 2020 04:28PM
North Charleston? Did they take hurricanes into account?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 01, 2020 04:31PM
They may not have unions, but they do have quality issues. Something like 9 out of 10 construction issues in recent Boeing planes have been from production lines in South Carolina.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 01, 2020 07:34PM
Filliam H. Muffman
They may not have unions, but they do have quality issues. Something like 9 out of 10 construction issues in recent Boeing planes have been from production lines in South Carolina.

Color me surprised.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 02, 2020 08:34AM
SC lands another one to join BMW, Mercedes, Sonoco, Zapp Group, etc.

South Carolina offers the following statutory incentives:
No state property tax
No local income tax
No inventory tax
No sales tax on manufacturing machinery, industrial power or materials for finished products
No wholesale tax
No unitary tax on worldwide profits
Favorable corporate income tax structure
[sccommerce.com]

Then there's the port and don't forget everybody's favorite, 8,100 acres of beauty that is...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 02, 2020 10:42AM
Speedy

Former Gov. Nikki Haley said she would rather have no jobs than have a union in SC years ago. Crazy bitch.

I'll take my IAMAW Brothers and Sisters over her crap any day.

[www.reuters.com]

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020