advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone SE took a dip in the drink, and now the digitizer doesn't work. What are my options?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 07, 2020 07:55PM
Original (well, 2nd iteration?) of SE. The kind that looks like an iPhone 5.

The exterior buttons work but the touchscreen does not work. Touch ID does not work because the phone was completely turned off for 3 days and now needs the code entered.

The display looks mostly OK ... shows texts that arrived, has both WiFi and cell service, battery charged etc. All normal signs of proper function.

But when the phone was rebooted, you could tell that the screen showed water. Instead of a plain boot background with apple, it appeared as if well, water was behind the screen.

Will this, ya know, evaporate? 2-3 days in a bag of rice only does so much.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone SE took a dip in the drink, and now the digitizer doesn't work. What are my options?
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 07, 2020 08:30PM
bag of rice is an old wives tale, that does zero. Thats a 1st gen SE.

you could try blowing it out with compressed air. Pull the sim out.

You could pull it apart, just need a suction cup and a nylon tool.

then wait.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: iPhone SE took a dip in the drink, and now the digitizer doesn't work. What are my options?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 07, 2020 08:40PM
If you get it apart, put it on the dash of your car and let the sun dry it out.

While you are waiting, start figuring out what your next phone will be.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: October 07, 2020 08:59PM
jdc
bag of rice is an old wives tale, that does zero. Thats a 1st gen SE.

you could try blowing it out with compressed air. Pull the sim out.

You could pull it apart, just need a suction cup and a nylon tool.

then wait.

Ph I thought you had to get into them from the back and work towards the front. Yeah we'll dig into how to do it (so to speak.) My wife is the household iPhone fixer, although I think her experience is limited to iPhone 3's and 4's.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 07, 2020 10:08PM
Yeah, OK I forgot -- you need to take out those tiny screws at the bottom too.

and then it just pops open.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 08, 2020 09:10AM
On 6S those first two tiny screws are not regular screws.... during my install of 3 batteries in 6s's, I forgot what they call the tool and screws, but I kept grabbing the wrong one all the time.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 08, 2020 03:28PM
If your heat is on like we have in our house, put it by the register.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 08, 2020 04:08PM
The iFixer popped it open while on her lunch break today, although she says she needs another tool to separate the digitizer from the front glass? All I at this time is that all the parts are sitting in a covered container. Or if the digitizer and glass need to be repurchase, we might do that. The battery isn’t great anymore but the chassis is pristine. Not sure what kind of money is worth spending on this.
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 08, 2020 06:20PM
You can buy a "good" unlocked 32gb SE with 95 battery on Swappa for $80.
Date: October 08, 2020 08:57PM
Michael
You can buy a "good" unlocked 32gb SE with 95 battery on Swappa for $80.

Good point. I wonder if a 5S could be a parts donor for the digitizer and Touch ID if this one doesn't dry out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 186
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020