advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
People butt purchasing Tesla add ons for thousands of $$$, encounter poor customer service trying to get refund, Musk cracks joke in response
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 08, 2020 08:47AM
Poll
20 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Have you ever butt purchased something?

Don't leave your Tesla app open and put your phone in your pocket folks. Report says customer service is slow and the billionaire founder replies with a not so unhelpful answer.

[www.cultofmac.com]

Accidentally “butt-dialing” someone is annoying. Finding out that you’ve just butt-dialed your way to a $4,280 in-app purchase is a whole lot worse.

That’s exactly what happened to Dr. Ali Vaziri, a physician who was recently surprised to find that he had upgraded to a pricey Enhanced Autopilot mode on his Tesla — by hitting an option on the iPhone app when he didn’t even realize the app was open.

“My phone was in my jeans,” Vaziri told CNBC. “I took it out, put it on this charger that comes with your Tesla and that’s it. A minute later? I got the text. I’ve never purchased anything through the Tesla app before.”

Vaziri had reportedly owned his Tesla for only a few months at the time of the accidental purchase. He had linked the app with his credit card for a monthly “premium connectivity” service, costing $9.99 per month. (Some 0.23 percent of the Enhanced Autopilot cost.)

He complained to Tesla, but says that their customer service was “horrendous” and he has yet to receive a refund. Elon Musk has seemingly been made aware of the ease of the “butt dial” problem before. Another Tesla owner, Stefan Peterson, tweeted that he had accidentally purchased an Acceleration bolt-on costing around $2,000. Musk tweeted back, “Trust ur butt haha.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: People butt purchasing Tesla add ons for thousands of $$$, encounter poor customer service trying to get refund, Musk cracks joke in response
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 08, 2020 08:51AM
That's awful.

No adult should use "ur" for "your."
Re: People butt purchasing Tesla add ons for thousands of $$$, encounter poor customer service trying to get refund, Musk cracks joke in response
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2020 08:56AM
....butt...ilicious.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: d4
Date: October 08, 2020 09:09AM
Can someone here with a Tesla confirm that making this sort of purchase is really that simple to have it accidently happen in one's pocket? The story sounds suspicious.

Isn't buttdialling something that happened in the early 2000s when phones had physical buttons that could be pressed?

2FA!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 09:11AM by d4.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 08, 2020 09:14AM
One day I was listening to some music on my phone. The phone was in my pocket. Common occurrence.

Then I started hearing an ad. I pulled my phone out and a YouTube video was playing. I think a YT notification came up, Amy screen woke up for some reason, the notification tray slid down and the notification was hit. Crazy sequence of events.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 08, 2020 09:21AM
I get butt dialed by my wife on aa pretty regular basis.

JD Power is garbage.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2020 09:27AM
mattkime
I get butt dialed by my wife on a pretty regular basis.

.....you lucky dog......!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: October 08, 2020 10:13AM
NewtonMP2100
mattkime

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 08, 2020 10:49AM
mattkime
JD Power is garbage.
agree smiley
Unfortunately, a vast number of consumers are either gullible or flat-out dumb.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 08, 2020 11:06AM
[eu.usatoday.com]
Consumer Reports 2020 automotive brands ranked for reliability:
1.Lexus
2.Mazda
3.Toyota
4.Porsche
5.Genesis
6.Hyundai
7.Subaru
8.Dodge
9.Kia
10.Mini
11.Nissan
12.Honda
13.Infiniti
14.Audi
15.Lincoln
16.Ford
17.BMW
18.Buick
19.Chrysler
20.Mitsubishi
21.Mercedes-Benz
22.GMC
24.Tesla
25.Volvo
26.Chevrolet
27.Jeep
28.Volkswagen
29.Acura
30.Alfa Romeo
31.Cadillac

10 least reliable models of 2020, according to Consumer Reports:
Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon (same body style, different badging)
Chevrolet Camaro
Jeep Wrangler
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Volkswagen Atlas
Volkswagen Tiguan
Acura MDX
Tesla Model X
Chrysler Pacifica
Chevrolet Traverse

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 08, 2020 11:18AM
So Musk still showing that he's an @ss...
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 08, 2020 11:25AM
pRICE cUBE
[eu.usatoday.com]
Consumer Reports 2020 automotive brands ranked for reliability:
1.Lexus
2.Mazda
3.Toyota
4.Porsche
5.Genesis
6.Hyundai
7.Subaru
8.Dodge
9.Kia
10.Mini
11.Nissan
12.Honda
13.Infiniti
14.Audi
15.Lincoln
16.Ford
17.BMW
18.Buick
19.Chrysler
20.Mitsubishi
21.Mercedes-Benz
22.GMC
24.Tesla
25.Volvo
26.Chevrolet
27.Jeep
28.Volkswagen
29.Acura
30.Alfa Romeo
31.Cadillac

10 least reliable models of 2020, according to Consumer Reports:
Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon (same body style, different badging)
Chevrolet Camaro
Jeep Wrangler
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Volkswagen Atlas
Volkswagen Tiguan
Acura MDX
Tesla Model X
Chrysler Pacifica
Chevrolet Traverse

"The study was based on surveys of owners of more than 400,000 current-generation vehicles made within the past three years. Those owners evaluated safety systems, vehicle infotainment, engine performance and other aspects of the cars and trucks."

A reliable car by my definition is still reliable at 100K. Three years out only tells you if it was made well in the first place. Which is good information, but of limited value for the long haul.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 08, 2020 11:37AM
I own one, there are at least 3 steps that need to be put into motion to make such a purchase.

I'm sure they will just add one more check - maybe faceID/touchID/password verification, something impossible to complete without active connection to the smartphone.

As for Tesla reliability, the model X is going to go down as a 'Lesson learned' for Tesla. It has FAR too many parts etc. Indeed, if you follow the Model Y changes, EVERYTHING is about simplifying the build for overall reliability - for both manufacturing AND owning.

The Model 3 has fewer parts to break than the X, far more reliable. The model Y has even less than the Model 3. I expect that to continue.

Tesla is targeting the 1 million mile drive train goal. They will be the first company to get there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 11:38AM by sekker.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 08, 2020 12:50PM
MrNoBody
mattkime
JD Power is garbage.
agree smiley

Me too.

agree smiley
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 08, 2020 01:56PM
Y’all need to stop it with the whole Tesla’s are unreliable FUD. I thought we didn’t like JD Power around here? For god sakes, a Dodge is number one on that list, a DODGE!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 08, 2020 03:15PM
Only for people not smart enough to not passcode lock/face ID their phone and set it to sleep after 30 seconds.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 08, 2020 03:23PM
rich in distress
NewtonMP2100
mattkime

smiley-laughing001

smiley-laughing001

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 08, 2020 03:47PM
Back in 2012 and had a crackberry, about once a week when I got into my Acura to go home, the crackberry would knock the seat belt receptacle and dial a contact. It was a number I had deleted from my contacts list (we had dropped them as a contractor). I never figured out how it happened.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 08, 2020 04:05PM
My iPhone XR seems to launch apps randomly in my pocket. It happens a lot. Didn't have that with the iPhone 7.

Is it the iOS or something Apple has done to the phone?

Bryan
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 08, 2020 04:46PM
"2020 U.S. Initial Quality Study"
The term "Study" says it all. JDP isn't doing hands-on reviews or testing,
they're simply gathering and compiling info from unverified sources.
To me, that means it has a lot to do with the quality of the dealer's vehicle prep.
And what JDP never discloses, the manufacturers supply the owners list.
Those who refuse/won't pay extortion to JDP, usually end up at the bottom
of all the "rankings".
ROTFL

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Schpark
Date: October 08, 2020 05:02PM
Initial Quality is not reliability. Consumer reports is a popularity contest of it's subscribers and has been proven biased in the past. I don't look at any of them. The "insert category here" of the year awards are based on which manufacturer paid the advertising for that particular award.

I'll make my own decisions.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 08, 2020 08:25PM
Schpark
Initial Quality is not reliability. Consumer reports is a popularity contest of it's subscribers and has been proven biased in the past. I don't look at any of them. The "insert category here" of the year awards are based on which manufacturer paid the advertising for that particular award.

I'll make my own decisions.

CR's reports from reader annual polling and specific reports per model over time seem accurate to me in my experience with the cars we've had.

Their views on some aspects have sure been odd, however. We had a Saturn, we - like nearly all other Saturn owners - loved that car. Was totally fun to drive since we had a manual transmission giving it some power. But CR ALWAYS ragged on the Saturn brand while worshiping Toyota (and despite some models of the latter showing poor reliability over time).

What I do with CR is look at the compiled data and make my own decisions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 08:27PM by sekker.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 08, 2020 08:30PM
Speedy
rich in distress
NewtonMP2100
mattkime

smiley-laughing001

smiley-laughing001

smiley-laughing001 May I add..."Oh baby!"

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 09, 2020 02:54PM
M A V I C
...Amy screen woke up for some reason, the notification tray slid down and the notification was hit. Crazy sequence of events.

Who is this Amy Screen, and did you ever find out what woke her up? devil smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: October 09, 2020 04:12PM
DeusxMac
M A V I C
...Amy screen woke up for some reason, the notification tray slid down and the notification was hit. Crazy sequence of events.

Who is this Amy Screen, and did you ever find out what woke her up? devil smiley

...and did she try to butt dial you?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 09, 2020 07:23PM
davester
DeusxMac
M A V I C

...and did she try to butt dial you?

Lol! Autocorrect fail.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020