advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Finding USB 3 Type A powered hub for $50-60 is proving difficult. Am i missing something?
Posted by: d4
Date: October 12, 2020 10:44AM
4 or more USB 3.x ports
It can connect via USB 3 Type A or Type C.
Combined charging and data ports. (Not separate charge only and data only)

Something similar to what is currently on the iMac/MacMini. Plug in the device. If it needs charging, it charges. If it needs to transfer data, it transfers. If it's a port powered external HDD it has enough power to run the drive and do a backup.

OWC's $33 hub:
[eshop.macsales.com]
Connects to USB 3 Type C. Which is fine. I'm not short of those.
The SD card reader will save me a port. So that's cool too.
But it only has 2 USB 3.1 ports. (charge and data)

Are there any others?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Finding USB 3 Type A powered hub for $50-60 is proving difficult. Am i missing something?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 12, 2020 11:14AM
Anker. The answer is always "Anker."

[www.amazon.com]

Re: Finding USB 3 Type A powered hub for $50-60 is proving difficult. Am i missing something?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 12, 2020 11:28AM
Sarcany

[www.amazon.com]

I have this one and it works well.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: October 12, 2020 11:32AM
macphanatic
Sarcany

[www.amazon.com]

I have this one and it works well.

Same
Posted by: norse
Date: October 12, 2020 11:39AM
Sorry, but a bit off subject.

How do you tell the hubs apart from USB 1, 2, and 3? On the label? I'm not at home to look.
Date: October 12, 2020 11:48AM
Thanks for the recommendation and confirmations on the Anker 7-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub with 36W Power Adapter and BC 1.2 Charging Port

So this Anker hub's 7 ports are all powered and transfer data?
I can plug in two bus-powered external HDDs, charge a Kindle, charge and data transfer 2 iphones. And an SSD card reader. And a USB scale for kicks?

I'm guessing the charging power on the 7 ports are not as robust as the USB ports on the MacMini? A 10% power iPhone would take a few hours to charge up to 100%? When I plug in a 10% iPhone8 directly into the MacMini it takes maybe 1 hour to get up to 100%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2020 11:50AM by d4.
Posted by: August West
Date: October 12, 2020 01:08PM
I believe power over usb is standardized in milliamps?

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 12, 2020 01:31PM
d4
I can plug in two bus-powered external HDDs, charge a Kindle, charge and data transfer 2 iphones. And an SSD card reader. And a USB scale for kicks?

This is why a good hub is not cheap. It needs to be able to negotiate something like 20 different power allocation standards and transfer 10 Gbps data.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 12, 2020 01:45PM
d4

Depends on how much "power" you need. The description tells you much power the Anker hub provides:

7th data port also delivers BC 1.2 charging speeds of up to 2.1 amps , while the other 6 ports charge at speeds of up to 0.5A each, with 5.1 amps overall among 7 ports.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 12, 2020 03:56PM
I splurged and got a couple of their (7X3) 10 port variety. They have 3 X 2.1A IQ charging ports. Beefier 60W/5A wall wart was the selling point, so you can actually charge a couple of extra devices at the same time, plus greater comfort level w/ bus powered drives, especially when using two bus powered drives at the same time. Find 'em on sale occasionally for ~$35, but we paid $36 & $42... but maybe Prime Day mañana will be promising....

==
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 12, 2020 04:35PM
StarTech HB31C2A2CB 4-port (2x Type C + 2x Type A) about $48 on ebay. [www.ebay.com]
USB 3.1 Gen 2; 10Gbps on all 4 ports. No card reader or other extras, just ports.

oops, just noticed you want 'powered', sorry all.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2020 04:37PM by MrNoBody.
Date: October 12, 2020 05:19PM
Buzz
I splurged and got a couple of their (7X3) 10 port variety. They have 3 X 2.1A IQ charging ports. Beefier 60W/5A wall wart was the selling point, so you can actually charge a couple of extra devices at the same time, plus greater comfort level w/ bus powered drives, especially when using two bus powered drives at the same time. Find 'em on sale occasionally for ~$35, but we paid $36 & $42... but maybe Prime Day mañana will be promising....

==

I was eyeballing that one too. I'm willing to spend $50-60 if there was a hub that fit my needs. This one with the 3 charging data ports looks to be a close second. Will def wait and see what the next two days will bring. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 13, 2020 09:36AM
D4,

I can vouch for the Anker 10 port flavor recommended by Buzz. Rock solid. quality and performance. I have one at home and at my office. If I needed a standard powered USB 3 hub, I'd get another one.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020