advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What period of history would you most like to live in and why?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 15, 2020 07:58AM
From this moment and past, not into the future. What period of history would you most like to live in and why?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What period of history would you most like to live in and why?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 15, 2020 08:18AM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 15, 2020 08:28AM
The boomers always talk about how great the 50's were so I guess I'd give that a whirl. Great looking cars, the ladies look good in the movies, and there were jobs. Seems ideal.

I'm not a car guy so I can't ID this one but the model is Miss Alana Wilkie.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 15, 2020 08:31AM
mid-20th (essentially my parents time).

The world has changed since then but not to the utter extreme that going earlier would be. It was the high-point of American society (at least as long as your a white male), a time of discovery and cooperation. We still had transportation, electricity, telephones, medicine, and indoor plumbing. Going back much further removes most of those.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: d4
Date: October 15, 2020 09:45AM
In America? Unless you're a white male, I wouldn't go back more than 40 years. If I had to choose. I'd go back to the mid-80s. The internet was in its infancy. Apple stock was 25cents. And I'd still have a good solid 15 carefree years before 9/11 hits.

Posted by: testcase
Date: October 15, 2020 10:07AM
1950's. After WWII, America was STRONGLY on "the upswing". In general, most people of that era were VERY aware of their RESPONSIBILITIES and didn't scream about their rights. If you were willing to work, there was a job for you. Most cities of medium size or larger had multiple newspapers (and other media) that were properly edited. Laws back then prevented one person / conglomerate from monopolizing what information the masses had easy access to. In American made products, quality was a given if a company wanted to stay in business. old fogey smiley
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 15, 2020 10:21AM
I'll agree with others above. The fifties seems like it would be a great time to live in the U.S.A.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 15, 2020 10:36AM
Rick-o
I'll agree with others above. The fifties seems like it would be a great time to live in the U.S.A.

Well, if you were a woman and only wanted to be a wife and mother and you had a good marriage, then maybe.
If you were a woman that wanted a career and/or a college education and wanted to be something other than a secretary, teacher, or nurse, then not such a good time. You would also make a fraction of a man doing the same job and might, probably would, have trouble getting credit or being able to buy a house or car.
But for white straight males, I think the 50’s in the US were pretty good.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: October 15, 2020 10:37AM
....if I could turn back time.....if I could find.....a way......

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 15, 2020 11:12AM
I rather like improvements in health care so I'll take now. Though I suppose a years ago sans covid might be a bit nicer. I'd buy more TP and a Nintendo Switch.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 15, 2020 11:27AM
The era of the Black Death in Europe: eople used heir time so productively Boccaccio wrote The Decameron, later on Newton came up with calculus.. Must be so interesting to live through a plague…oh, wait…

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: October 15, 2020 12:02PM
The night Mr. and Mrs. Hitler were about to conceive little Adolf. I’d put a stop to that...

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 15, 2020 01:44PM
I was born in 1950 and that was perfect for me. The toys and TV and the cars and Elvis. Prosperity and optimism. Then the Beatles throughout my junior and senior high school years. Then the excitement of being in college during the protests an hippie years. It was perfect.
Posted by: August West
Date: October 15, 2020 01:51PM
rgG
Rick-o

Well, if you were a woman and only wanted to be a wife and mother and you had a good marriage, then maybe.
If you were a woman that wanted a career and/or a college education and wanted to be something other than a secretary, teacher, or nurse, then not such a good time. You would also make a fraction of a man doing the same job and might, probably would, have trouble getting credit or being able to buy a house or car.

ftw smileyagree smiley

rgG,

When are you going to become very AWARE of your RESPONSIBILITIES and not BOTHER US about your rights!! baseball bat smiley

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: A-Polly
Date: October 15, 2020 01:54PM
No "back to the 50s" living for me. It is much better to work in an office, ride in car, take a flight, go to a restaurant or store or park without being exposed to the smoking that was absolutely everywhere. I was there, and hated it even when young! Ha ha, maybe I'd go back a year or two before COVID 19, so we could actually go out and enjoy those things!

Is it just the post-war economic prosperity (enjoyed by straight white men with white-collar jobs or union jobs) that makes so many people see the 1950s as a golden age of no worries? What about the split in the country over civil rights (this was the time of Rosa Parks and Brown vs. BoE, after all). The conformity and confinement, especially for women, in suburbia (pills and cocktails, anyone?). And to top it all off, the pervasive Cold War paranoia (remember the Red Scare, John Birchers, and searches for "un-American activities"?). Not that there weren't good things, too, but I sure don't recall a paradise of happy nuclear families except on TV.

Now if it's just to visit other periods of history for a bit, there are all sorts of possibilities!
Date: October 15, 2020 03:04PM
....what happens if you hit the menopause of history [ no more period ].......???

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 15, 2020 03:11PM
rgG
Rick-o

Exactly!! I LOVE the fifties!! smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 15, 2020 03:34PM
I'm right where I want to be, thank you very much!I am in the most technically advanced age, with the greatest creature comforts, the best family and friends I could dream of, and living longer with a more useful life than was possible at any other time. As nasty as some things are in this current world, mankind has never been healthier nor had a lighter outlook.

pRICE cUBE
From this moment and past, not into the future. What period of history would you most like to live in and why?

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 15, 2020 03:45PM
Not enough data. I would have liked to have lived as an older person in the 1990's where I wasn't broke so I could invest and do entrepreneurship around the new-fangled thing called the Internet. Alas, I was too young and absolutely poor to participate as I'd like to have.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 15, 2020 04:12PM
I would relive the years...2009 to 2017. And in 2017 I would be campaigning like there was no tomorrow...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 15, 2020 04:13PM
d4
In America? Unless you're a white male, I wouldn't go back more than 40 years. If I had to choose. I'd go back to the mid-80s. The internet was in its infancy. Apple stock was 25cents. And I'd still have a good solid 15 carefree years before 9/11 hits.

Agreed. I wouldn't go back further than the 90s as a hispanic male.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: October 16, 2020 04:25AM
Rolando
d4

Agreed. I wouldn't go back further than the 90s as a hispanic male.

Yup, the requirement to live through the time again, and only in the past, narrows it down a lot, for a lot of people.

At best, it’s a chance for a do-over of sorts.

I’d take a swing at restarting from the 80s. Study computer science, live healthy as hell, invest with my edge of foreknowledge, but keep my head down and a relatively low profile.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 16, 2020 01:08PM
I'd be reluctant to go back before the 50's, mainly because of no air conditioning.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: October 16, 2020 02:50PM
Mid 18th century North America. I'm sure life was hard - but simple.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020