advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's past is prologue...
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 15, 2020 06:19PM
I've collected (on a very small scale; I do not have either unlimited space or a wife with unlimited patience) arcade video games since the mid-90's. Always wanted an Atari Tempest, but I didn't get one when they were cheap (pre-eBay) and was too cheap to spring for one afterwards (thanks to the now-unobtanium color vector monitor, prices have skyrocketed).

But I lucked out on Craigslist over the summer, and landed a broken unit for a reasonable price.

As of yesterday, it is no longer broken, and I am happy.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's past is prologue...
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 15, 2020 07:01PM
I recall that game, I used to enjoy watching my friends play it (I sucked at arcade games, most required two hands)

Here is a browser version -- [my.ign.com] (and I still suck, only scored 1200 pts)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2020 07:04PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 15, 2020 07:36PM
Oh yeah, I remember that one. I'd love to be able to play Donkey Kong again. Or other games from that era.
Date: October 15, 2020 08:04PM
freeradical
Oh yeah, I remember that one. I'd love to be able to play Donkey Kong again. Or other games from that era.

There are a LOT of Donkey Kongs out there; that was a very popular game, and many tens of thousands of them were built. Keep an eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, and estate sales. Sooner or later you'll score.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 16, 2020 01:18AM
My PowerBook G3 had a SVHS Out. I would connect it and the audio to my 27" TV and Stereo system, and a ADB Gamepad.

Then I would use MAME to play my favorite, Centipede.

That was about 20 years ago!

Apple should just license these old games and put them on AppleTV.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: October 16, 2020 01:21AM
Rolando
My PowerBook G3 had a SVHS Out. I would connect it and the audio to my 27" TV and Stereo system, and a ADB Gamepad.

There was a fantastic vector game emulator for OS9 called Vectorama. I haven't seen a better implementation since. Much better than MAME IYAM.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 16, 2020 06:33AM
I want the original Star Wars (vector) sit-down version.

Date: October 16, 2020 06:55AM
Sarcany
I want the original Star Wars (vector) sit-down version.

If you ever see one of those in my office, that's how you'll know I won the lottery.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 16, 2020 08:00AM
I used to be reasonably good at Tempest. But it wasn’t due to any superior strategy- I got my best scores just turning that knob back and forth as fast as I could. (!)

Anyway, good score on the unit!
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 16, 2020 09:48AM
Will Collier
Rolando

There was a fantastic vector game emulator for OS9 called Vectorama. I haven't seen a better implementation since. Much better than MAME IYAM.

I spent many hours with an OS 9 version of Tempest. Somehow, Vectorama doesn't sound like the right name for the version I played, but it's long gone now.

EDIT: From wikipedia: "Arashi is a 1992 freeware clone for the Apple Macintosh running classic Mac OS." Yup, Arashi is what it was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2020 11:47AM by Acer.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 16, 2020 09:59AM
Nice score! I've dumped many a quarter in Tempest, as well as all the other popular arcade games of the era.

I've always wanted my all time favorite, Missile Command, in commercial form. Maybe someday...

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jonny
Date: October 16, 2020 04:09PM
Ombligo
I recall that game, I used to enjoy watching my friends play it (I sucked at arcade games, most required two hands)

Here is a browser version -- [my.ign.com] (and I still suck, only scored 1200 pts)

How do you get this site to work? Java?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020