advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
catastrophe?!......24 1/3 minutes into 'Cats' [ the 2019 film ]......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 15, 2020 07:51PM
....the musical on film....it debuTTed last week on HBO........'nuff said......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2020 07:59PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: catastrophe?!......24 1/3 minutes into 'Cats' [ the 2019 film ]......
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 15, 2020 09:23PM
How bad is?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 15, 2020 09:40PM
rgG
How bad is?

It's the purrfect Thanksgiving movie.......

Gobble, gobble, gobble......
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 15, 2020 11:37PM
Go dig out that old blurry VCR of the original -- it's way better than this remake.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 16, 2020 12:05AM
2.8 out of 10 on IMDB:

[www.imdb.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: October 16, 2020 01:53AM
I've read enough reviews to know it's not worth a minute of my time.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rz
Date: October 16, 2020 08:18AM
My son really wants to see it. He's 12 and loves cats. He will probably like it.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 16, 2020 08:20AM
rz
My son really wants to see it. He's 12 and loves cats. He will probably like it.

Get him the earlier version - Danny was a bit younger when he first saw it and it embedded on him like nothing else.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 16, 2020 08:47AM
How can it be that screwed up? Eons ago I saw the stage show and, while I'm not a huge fan of Broadway shows, it was good. What made it bad?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 16, 2020 09:15AM
rz

Buy him a copy of T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's instead. It'll be a better investment of his time and maybe encourage him to read more T.S. Eliot, which is not at all a bad thing.

Edit: I'm partial to the Edward Gorey illustrated version, which is the one I was gifted when I was about your son's age.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2020 09:18AM by PeterB.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 16, 2020 09:52AM
PeterB
rz

Buy him a copy of T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's instead. It'll be a better investment of his time and maybe encourage him to read more T.S. Eliot, which is not at all a bad thing.

Edit: I'm partial to the Edward Gorey illustrated version, which is the one I was gifted when I was about your son's age.

It's hard to get him to read anything. Which is weird because he used to like to read a lot. Now it's mostly graphic novels. I've been trying to get him to read The Hobbit, but he's not interested.
Date: October 16, 2020 10:29AM
rz
PeterB
rz

It's hard to get him to read anything. Which is weird because he used to like to read a lot. Now it's mostly graphic novels. I've been trying to get him to read The Hobbit, but he's not interested.

If he likes graphic novels, he ought to like Edward Gorey... Amphigorey is a classic, if you think he can handle it age-wise.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 16, 2020 01:01PM
rz
It's hard to get him to read anything. Which is weird because he used to like to read a lot.

Schools have turned reading into a chore, and in the process turned off students to it. They start out enjoying reading at the elementary level, then the middle grades makes it all into schoolwork. We lose them at that point and can never get them back. It has been a complaint amongst high school English teachers for the last two decades. We see it over and over.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 16, 2020 01:16PM
Ombligo
rz
It's hard to get him to read anything. Which is weird because he used to like to read a lot.

Schools have turned reading into a chore, and in the process turned off students to it. They start out enjoying reading at the elementary level, then the middle grades makes it all into schoolwork. We lose them at that point and can never get them back. It has been a complaint amongst high school English teachers for the last two decades. We see it over and over.

That’s too bad. Reading requires a certain amount of patience. I wonder if the instant gratification of the internet has made reading less attractive to kids, too.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: October 16, 2020 01:46PM
Ammo
Ombligo
rz

That’s too bad. Reading requires a certain amount of patience. I wonder if the instant gratification of the internet has made reading less attractive to kids, too.

Exactly, which is why I thought something like Amphigorey might lure rz's son back in... Gorey's drawing style is unique and appealing and draws the reader in. Depending on his taste, he might also like some Vonnegut: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 16, 2020 07:05PM
DP
How can it be that screwed up? Eons ago I saw the stage show and, while I'm not a huge fan of Broadway shows, it was good. What made it bad?

The FX were rushed to the point where some very human features stuck out at random moments. The costumes don't make sense (wearing a fur coat on top of a fur coat?). The players are meant to appear cat-sized, so the scenery is scaled up, except where it's not. They "updated" the story (what little story there is) and changed the music. They added crazy bits like one cat taking off her skin and eating roaches that have human heads. It's unsettling, loud and disorienting.

But some of the choreography is good.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 17, 2020 01:46AM
I always wanted to see Judy Dench as a furry.

No, not really.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020