advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: I may have decided on my next car. Figured you’d want to know. You’re welcome.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 17, 2020 01:41PM
Sam3
My daughter learned how to drive a manual transmission. She's wanted to from the time when she first could drive, seeing that both mom and dad drove stick. She thought that was pretty cool. She'll be taking our SAAB 9-3 wagon when she goes off to college, and she's planning on adding this sticker to the car:

Does it have the collar that needs to be pulled up before you can put it in reverse? Caused my buddy all kinds of headaches until he figured it out.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I may have decided on my next car. Figured you’d want to know. You’re welcome.
Posted by: kj
Date: October 17, 2020 04:20PM
I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff, but as I understand it, manual is generally more efficient than conventional automatic transmissions (planetary), but CVT autos are close to manuals because the continuously variable "gear" always keeps the engine in the most efficient rpm range. Unfortunately, they have relatively high parasitic losses, so aren't as efficient as they could be.

DCT or dual clutch automatic transmissions are more like manual transmissions than they are conventional autos, so are essentially as efficient as manuals.

Conventional autos have gotten more efficient in large part due to having more gears (6, 8, 9, soon to be 10), which makes them more like a cvt, in that they can also keep the engine in it's most efficient range (the more gears, the closer it is to continuously variable).

So efficiency depends on the type of automatic transmission you are looking at. I would be super surprised if any auto is as reliable as manual, just due to complexity though. And I've heard some autos can cost up to 15k to rebuild, so there is that.

Fwiw, electric cars do have a transmission. I have one of those little electric Fiats, and it has a one-speed transmission. Apparently it has to have incredible precision due to the high rpm's. I'm pretty sure Teslas also have a one-speed transmission, but I think I read the Porsche Taycan has a two-speed. Anyway... I enjoy driving manual, but my Fiat is actually pretty fun to drive around town, even though it's kind of an auto. One skill I've had to work on is handling torque steer winking smiley
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 18, 2020 08:07AM
KJ,

Kinda sorta. In the past, manual transmissions resulted in better fuel efficiency. That notion is no longer accurate. Modern transmissions eclipsed manual transmissions. See the article from the link in my previous post. More gears. Computer controls. You name it. Technology made the difference, which is why manual transmissions are like vinyl.

Instead of manual transmissions being better or more efficient than automatic transmissions, it's now a question of driving experience. What kind of driving experience does a driver want in his/her vehicle?

I've driven both. I can't speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure that vast majority of the public will say they have no interest whatsoever in driving a car with a manual transmission. They want to get into a vehicle, put it into drive and go. This is especially true if they live in a area with lots of hills and/or significant amounts of traffic.

I do agree, though, that automatic transmissions are less reliable due to their complexity. However, in these days of long warranties and far more reliable cars, that's much less of an issue than it was in the past. I doubt people even take it into consideration anymore especially since most vehicles don't include manual transmissions as an option these days.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2020 08:10AM by Robert M.
Posted by: dk62
Date: October 19, 2020 09:15AM
"The 2021 Crosstrek with a 6-speed manual gets an EPA estimated 22/29/25 city/highway/combined mpg. The automatic gets considerably better fuel mileage at 28/33/30 city/highway/combined mpg."

[www.torquenews.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 19, 2020 02:08PM
dk62,

Exactly. Modern automatic transmissions changed the game entirely.

Robert
Posted by: kj
Date: October 19, 2020 03:04PM
As far as driving experience, if I ever buy another gas powered car (doubtful) it would have to be a DCT. CVT's are awful, even if they have fake shiftpoints. And who knows, driving may soon turn into a hobby anyway. In that case enjoyment is all that would matter and manual totally wins out for me. Well, and there's barely a handful of new cars made that are actually fun to drive, so it would probably be an old car.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 20, 2020 12:42AM
kj
CVT's are awful, even if they have fake shiftpoints.

They don't have to be. My Prius was terrific. Sure, it's a hybrid, but it was still a very good CVT.

On the other hand, I rented a Nissan with a CVT and was not impressed.

As for MTs in general, I drove one for years and have no problems driving them. But while I have the ability and competency, I also have no desire or interest in manual transmissions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020