advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Magazine subscription madness
Posted by: rz
Date: October 16, 2020 12:44PM
Because I'm in the tech business, I frequently get offers for free subscriptions to tech-related magazines. And even some non-tech ones. Most of the time, I pass on them. For the few I've accepted, after about 6 months they start hounding me to pay to extend the subscription, and I ignore them. When the subscription ends, I stop getting the magazine.

Two years ago, I was offered a subscription to "Electronic Musician". I dabble a bit with keyboards, so I answered the survey and got the subscription. Sure enough, after 6 months or so, I started getting offers to extend the subscription, which I ignored. But when the year was up... the magazine just kept coming. Every month. The label even says my subscription end date was October 2019. But they keep coming. I've had it where a subscription ends and after a few months they send you a freebie to try to entice you to resubscribe. But not every month. I just got the latest issue today. I'm not complaining. But it seems weird that they keep sending it.

Of course, now that I posted this, they'll probably stop next month...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Magazine subscription madness
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 16, 2020 12:54PM
It is actually a common scheme. Magazines make their money selling advertising. Their rates are defined by the number of subscribers. The money they get if you pay for a subscription is much less than what they get for selling advertising.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 16, 2020 01:02PM
I got Electronic Musician for a long time. I get at least ten free magazines, mostly from Blue Dolphin. The key is to monitor your credit card bills. Also, be on alert for emails to cancel your renewals.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 16, 2020 02:12PM
Never gave a credit card. I answer a few questions (what field I'm in, how many people work at my location, my job title, etc) and I get the subscription.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020