advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dash Cams
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 16, 2020 07:26PM
I'm considering getting a dash cam for one of our vehicles. I'm not going to put a $ limit on my search. Any brand recommendations based on good experiences? Any brands with bad experiences?

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2020 07:27PM by modelamac.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dash Cams
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 16, 2020 07:35PM
Two years ago space-time linked to a deal on the Aukey DR02-USA.
$60 now, $32 on the 2018 BF sale.
I've been using it without any issues since.

Maybe Black Friday/Cyber Monday will present some similar deals?

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 16, 2020 07:43PM
Blackvue and Thinkware are a couple of the "name" brands, but also $$$, especially if you want 4k or cloud recording.

You should go for the highest resolution you're willing to pay for - it makes a difference. But make sure the dash cam is actually recording natively at the highest resolution. A lot of the cheaper models will "upscale" (often they're not recording the full width of pixels, so it's like recording a 4:3 image and interpolating it to 16:9).

WiFi and an app makes set-up easier, but app quality can have a huge impact on ease of finding and downloading clips. The app for DDPai is horrible. It keeps recording clips while you're trying to download, and you have to scrub through a timeline to find the one you want.

I'm in the process of replacing my dash cams with dual channel Thinkware U1000 4K. A big draw for me to this dash cam is that it records 2k rear (2560x1440). A lot of dash cams top out at 720p or 1080p for the rear. And on the front camera you can record 4k or 2k/60fps. I say "in the process" because I haven't figured out a good/easy way to route the rear dash cam on wagons/SUVs/vans. It's a lot easier on a sedan where you're not dealing with an opening hatch.

Another feature to consider is whether you want to hardwire and have a "parking mode" - but keep in mind the battery drain also. You can hardwire with a "shut off" when the car battery hits 12v, or they make "back-up" battery packs for dash cams now also.

Here's a vendor that has lots of information, articles, and videos: [www.blackboxmycar.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 16, 2020 08:27PM
Gareth covered it pretty well.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 16, 2020 09:55PM
For me, 1080/60fps is the absolute minimum.

Ideally, it would be 4K/60fps.

Unfortunately, most of that is the purview of phones.

I'll take FPS over frame rate, as in 720/60fps over 1080/30fps.

In may cases, even 720/60fps yields a good/better quality, more useable video.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 17, 2020 12:09AM
MrNoBody
Two years ago space-time linked to a deal on the Aukey DR02-USA.
$60 now, $32 on the 2018 BF sale.
I've been using it without any issues since.

Maybe Black Friday/Cyber Monday will present some similar deals?
Ha! I bought this deal, too, when he posted it and have been using the cam for about 18mo now. It's got me out of a potentially costly fender bender. And it's pretty decent.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 17, 2020 07:11AM
Thank you all. You zeroed in on the critical parts, which is what I hoped for.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 17, 2020 08:17AM
Viofo
Posted by: Randalls
Date: October 17, 2020 10:13AM
Would this be similar to an entry level Aukey mentioned for BF 2018? @ $42 with discount

AUKEY Dash Cam 1080P FHD Car Camera Supercapacitor 170° Wide-Angle Dash Camera for Cars 2.7 Inch LCD Screen, WDR, G-Sensor, Loop Recording, Motion Detection, Support 128GB MAX
by AUKEY Direct
Learn more: [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 17, 2020 10:46AM
I can't anything technical, but here's an anectdote:

A few weeks after I installed my dash cam, I had to run an errand during my lunch. I was driving back to work on the expressway, in traffic.

I noticed the car in front of me was tapping brakes. No one was in front of her. She kept tapping. I could see the driver looking at me in her mirror.

I waved at her and pointed to my camera. She accelerated away.

Dash cams are great.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 17, 2020 01:30PM
Some random thoughts...

- If you're in a hot location, capacitors are better than batteries

- If you want continuous video capture available, like motion detection when parked and ignition off, be aware that you'll need to wire the cam directly into your electrical system; USB, aux, cigarette lighter connections won't work.

- Cams that are mounted on stalks have the advantage of allowing you to turn them towards anything not directly in front of your car if needed, like a road-rager alongside, but have the disadvantage of swinging out of position upon car impact (usually end up pointing at the sky), so they don't provide video of circumstances immediately after impact.

- A glare filter for the cam lens is a real plus if available; cuts down on reflections from dashboard, flare from oncoming headlights and the sun.

- When mounting:
-- ensure the view is straight ahead, not skewed to one side of the car or the other.
-- ensure the view is showing the highway centered vertically; not showing mostly sky and clouds, or vast expanses of your hood.

- Check its view regularly to ensure it's still pointed in the correct orientation (especially if the cam is on a stalk). It's too late to notice incorrect view after an accident
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 17, 2020 01:35PM
The Vantrue N2 Pro is generally recognized as a very good camera at a reasonable price.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 17, 2020 02:11PM
Randalls
Would this be similar to an entry level Aukey mentioned for BF 2018? @ $42 with discount

AUKEY Dash Cam 1080P FHD Car Camera Supercapacitor 170° Wide-Angle Dash Camera for Cars 2.7 Inch LCD Screen, WDR, G-Sensor, Loop Recording, Motion Detection, Support 128GB MAX
by AUKEY Direct
Learn more: [www.amazon.com]

Nope, that's a AUKEY DRA1, the "BF" deal was the DR02. The DR0x models use the
Sony Exmor IMX323 CMOS sensor, the DRAx series doesn't.
The page you linked to has a comparison chart about halfway down!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Randalls
Date: October 17, 2020 04:58PM
So looks like I will wait for another BF deal. Thanks
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 17, 2020 05:11PM
Deus,

Cams with a battery will activate even when connected via USB. Maybe the low quality garbage cams might not work but the good ones are supposed to which is why I invested in a better model.

That said, to Model, I went cheap the first time around and got the GW1 from Spytechinc. It was one of the better lower cost models at the time. It did the job for many years. My wife and one of my brothers have the capaciter version of it. They're still doing the job for them. Mine, unfortunately, failed after several years of service. The timing couldn't be worse.

The cam gave it up when I got t-boned nearly a year ago. The cam got just before the collision and a few seconds after it. It blanked out at the exact moments of the collision. Fortunately, the missing footage didn't make a difference. However, after that incident, I replaced GW1 with the Nextbase 522GW, the top-rated model as recommended by wirecutter.

[www.bestbuy.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

It's been superb. Easy to mount. Easy to use with and without the app. Very solid build quality. At some point, I'll purchase a rear cam to use with it. And that's one of the things that makes it even better. Good options including compatibility with an optional rear cam.

Got a _very_ fast 32GB chip for the cam and ran a USB cable to an Anker three port USB cigarette lighter adapter to power it. One port for the cam, one port for charging my iPhone and a empty port in case I need to charge a third device.

My wife has a GW1, which is still working. Now that I've owned a NextBase model, I'd definitely get the same one or the next model down from Nextbase for her when it comes time to replace her existing cam.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020