Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
1948 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 17, 2020 10:16AM

[barnfinds.com]

the year my folks married. can't be bad.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 1948 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 17, 2020 11:24AM
LOVE that car.

Very common to see it in old movies driven by an attractive woman.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 17, 2020 11:29AM
Very nice. One of if not the most flattering colors of paint for the wood trim plus everything looks to be in exceptional unrestored but not museum-quality shape, meaning that if you bought it you could actually take it out and enjoy it once in a while without having a small stroke every time you drove through a puddle or a bug hit the windshield.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 17, 2020 11:50AM
Gorgeous.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: October 17, 2020 06:12PM
Car envy! I'd repaint it for sure...but what color?
Date: October 17, 2020 06:44PM
Lizabeth

Assuming you wanted to stay with a factory-correct color, '48 Chryslers and cars in general in 1948, came with a fairly drab palette to choose from as was the style at the time, partially because paint technology hadn't progressed far enough to allow really vivid colors to be used in a mass-production setting where fast drying time and 1 or 2 coat coverage with minimal or no extra prep between coats were serious concerns. Popular car colors at the time were pretty much the same ones that designer/plagiarist Tommy Hilfiger copied from old Ship & Shore catalogs in the '90s: Maroon, Navy Blue, Dark Green, and at least two shades of grey, Battleship (dark) and Dove (light).

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

Date: October 17, 2020 08:41PM
I'd repaint it for sure

AAAAAAAaaaaccckkKK!

That car's gorgeous as is!

With the wood body panels, I dont' think there's a factory color that really comes close to that.

Maybe some shade of brown or copper.

There were a lot of pastels in prior years, and maybe around that time, that were also gorgeous, but that wood really limits the palette to my eye.

There were also some shades I refer to as 'art-deco' colors that I really like, but again, the wood clashes.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Ok...
Date: October 17, 2020 08:45PM

This would be an acceptable alternate for me.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 17, 2020 09:05PM
Thrift Store Scott
Lizabeth

Assuming you wanted to stay with a factory-correct color, '48 Chryslers and cars in general in 1948, came with a fairly drab palette to choose from as was the style at the time, partially because paint technology hadn't progressed far enough to allow really vivid colors to be used in a mass-production setting where fast drying time and 1 or 2 coat coverage with minimal or no extra prep between coats were serious concerns. Popular car colors at the time were pretty much the same ones that designer/plagiarist Tommy Hilfiger copied from old Ship & Shore catalogs in the '90s: Maroon, Navy Blue, Dark Green, and at least two shades of grey, Battleship (dark) and Dove (light).

No black?

Date: October 17, 2020 09:35PM
AllGold
Thrift Store Scott
Lizabeth

No black?

According to the illustrations in the 1948 Chrysler sales brochure, specifically the Club Coupe on page 6, black was a color option that year-

[oldcarbrochures.org]

Re: Ok...
Date: October 17, 2020 09:40PM
RAMd®d

This would be an acceptable alternate for me.

Dude... First you say you love grapes and now you say you consider pea green as an acceptable substitute for pale yellow/cream on a '48 Chrysler T&C? It's like I don't even know you any more, man. dunno smiley

Re: Ok...
Date: October 18, 2020 11:53AM
POMTL!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020