advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone on an AT&T Unlimited plan?
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 17, 2020 09:10PM
I'm on an ancient grandfathered plan, looking at the new Unlimited Plans. Trying to get an honest estimate of the final monthly charges to compare apples to apples. Only, this is ridiculously hard to do.

My guess is that for my family account of 5 lines, we would be paying about $5/month/line in taxes and fees in MN. That is about what I am paying now.

Just wondering if anyone can share what extra charges they pay (not counting one-time fees and/or hardware charges)?

I am suspicious, based on what I see online, this would be more data for me at basically the same fee we are paying now. I just do not believe AT&T would EVER do that!

TIA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2020 09:10PM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone on an AT&T Unlimited plan?
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: October 17, 2020 09:23PM
Our old plan was grandfathered in. Since I just bought a new truck and it does not have Sirius, I decided to stream it off the phone and my question was how unlimited was my unlimited plan.

When I got done, I had upgraded to the new unlimited plan. Same benefits, plus now my iPhone has hotspot enabled, and I have HBOMax for free (which I am using).

End result I'm paying about $8 less a month than we were before. 3 phones, 2 Apple watches, and I think that's it.
Posted by: MEG
Date: October 17, 2020 10:41PM
AT&T Unlimited Plus here (have had for many years, may not be “current” anymore). Between the “Surcharges” (eg Admin fees, Federal Universal Service charge, etc) and the “Government Taxes” (eg 911 fees and state telecom sales tax) mine is just under 5 per line. So instead $20 per additional line it’s basically actually $25 per line.

Interesting side note (*to me anyway): we get a corporate discount through work. When we had the original iPhone grandfathered plan the discount was taken off the whole enchilada - 2 phones at 70/mo meant the discount was taken off of 140. With the current plan the discount only applies to the base family plan amount - discount is the same if we have 2/4/8 phones. Something to be aware of depending on the old plan and if you have any discounts applied.
Posted by: stephen
Date: October 18, 2020 06:14AM
I made the jump to Unlimited & More Premium from the grandfathered plan. Work reimburses so didn't pay too much attention to costs. HBO Max is included, though I rarely watch.
Me.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 18, 2020 11:05AM
It's the original 2007 Unlimited plan, though I've been thinking of jumping to Mint Mobile.

Every time I look at att plans, I feel like they're playing the shell game or three-card monte.

And seriously, I can't trust that a rep isn't either uniformed (common) or outright lying (not unheard of).

But I have to reduce my bill, not increase services.

Mint has a $15/month plan that you can prepay for a year (?) of service, and renew.

I just need to check one area of coverage, though it generally looks to be good.

When I order the 12 mini, I'll get it SIM free and just move it over, unless activation is free.

SIM free is also unlocked from the jump, but is it cheaper without a carrier SIM?

Not cheap, just curious.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 18, 2020 11:10AM
They make it beyond complicated. Especially with the myriad of ways credits can be applied and fees can be tacked on. The biggie is the per line service charge and whether it's discounted...and how. And of course, paperless billing and automatic payments are a must.

That said, I moved to an unlimited plan about 3 years ago. It seemed too good to be true, but it worked out much better for us. I think we were paying about the same—if not a few dollars less—but no more overages, and it included HBO. Supposedly, data was throttled at a certain level (~20 GB), but I can't say any of us ever noticed. I even added my parents because it made more sense than them signing up for a deal on their own.

This was the now-retired Unlimited Choice II Multi-line (we are now up to 7 lines). The costs were a base $95 (in IL this came to 96.49 with taxes and fees) and $20 per line (26.49 with taxes and fees). I *think* it was technically $40 per line with a 20 credit, and this is where things can get really murky because as I said before, the per line charge is a potential pitfall.

Last month, I bit the bullet and upgraded to the current Unlimited Elite plan. We needed the hotspot access for work and school while traveling last month, and since I now get some reimbursement from work, it's worth the risk. Supposedly, my angry villagers smiley line charge is going up to $35 (40 minus a 5 dollar credit), but my >6 lines qualify for a $100 discount on the $100 base charge. So if the increase in line charge doesn't come back to haunt me, it *should* only be $5 more in total (before the not insignificant extra taxes that will surely come from paying an extra $105/month in line charges.

I won't know for sure until I get the bill for a full non-pro-rated month. I'll let you know how it works out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2020 11:58AM by datbeme.
Date: October 18, 2020 11:56AM
I should add that with the AT&T unlimited plans, it's worth looking into the upgrade deals you can get through the loyalty department. This is a hidden benefit that most people aren't aware of. YMMV as to what is offered and when, but if you've been with them for several years and will likely be with them a couple more, you can get a great deal on a new phone by simply committing to 2 more years. Often $450 off retail.

A year ago, I got $450 off an iPhone 11 Pro for myself, and I upgraded both of my parents to the iPhone 8 for $.99 each. When I wanted to upgrade two of our other aging phones a couple months later, they no longer offered the $450 discount on the most recent phones, but $300 in installment credits on the iPhone 11 was still better than nothing. I believe I still could have gotten the XR for $150. It's a hassle and may involve some patience and back and forth communication, but it's probably worth it.

Remember way back when phone contracts were much more per month but upgrades were subsidized by the carriers? There was some incentive to upgrade after two years because you were kind of paying for it anyway. In some ways this is similar. For the last several years, I've been making due with older phones that were "good enough," but if I can get a $450 discount every two years (YMMV), that changes things.
Date: October 18, 2020 01:05PM
datbeme
I should add that with the AT&T unlimited plans, it's worth looking into the upgrade deals you can get through the loyalty department. This is a hidden benefit that most people aren't aware of. YMMV as to what is offered and when, but if you've been with them for several years and will likely be with them a couple more, you can get a great deal on a new phone by simply committing to 2 more years. Often $450 off retail.

A year ago, I got $450 off an iPhone 11 Pro for myself, and I upgraded both of my parents to the iPhone 8 for $.99 each. When I wanted to upgrade two of our other aging phones a couple months later, they no longer offered the $450 discount on the most recent phones, but $300 in installment credits on the iPhone 11 was still better than nothing. I believe I still could have gotten the XR for $150. It's a hassle and may involve some patience and back and forth communication, but it's probably worth it.

Remember way back when phone contracts were much more per month but upgrades were subsidized by the carriers? There was some incentive to upgrade after two years because you were kind of paying for it anyway. In some ways this is similar. For the last several years, I've been making due with older phones that were "good enough," but if I can get a $450 discount every two years (YMMV), that changes things.

How do you access such deals via the loyalty department?
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 19, 2020 10:42AM
In my experience, being with ATT for 21 years -- just call them... its always easiest by far.

They can tell you exact amounts for any plan pretty much down to the penny.

I called yesterday... heres what how it went
Original plan was 4 phones on a old 12 GB month (throttled after) + rollover + hotspot plan. OG SE & 7 both eligible for upgrade. We have 2 XRs we got a on a BOGO deal, 2 years ago with 5 payments left, $25 month.

Total bill was $190

Swithed to a new Unlimited Extreme plan, 100 GB data + hbo max (which we were payng for anyway). Total for 4 lines keeping all of our same phones/BOGO payment = $207. Not much more for the increased data (which we had gone over before) + HBO (really a $15 month savings) so bill was nearly identical.

But heres where it got fun? I traded in each of the XRs for $800 each + $350 for the 7. Near $2000 in credit. Had to pay off the XRs, $150 each, $300. Ordered 3 new 12s. First 2 are essentially free +Tax. 3rd one is $450 after 7 trade in, or $15 a month.

New phone bill, with 3 new 12s + unlminted extreme + HBO is $175, $15 less than Im payng now. ($160 base + $15 for 3rd 12)

Cash out was $300 (Xr payoff) + $190 ($64 tax X 3) = $500.

So 3 new iPhone 12s for rougly $225 each + 10X more data + HBO savings + $15 cheaper bill.

Nice woman from alabama walked me thru everything in about an hour. Told me to 100% call customer loyalty and get my $30 activation fees waived, should be easy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2020 10:45AM by jdc.
Date: October 19, 2020 03:59PM
sekker

If you Google "att loyalty slickdeals," you'll find various threads talking about it. Some of the threads are pretty old, but here is a recent one that may contain more up to date info. One post suggests that the XR is currently available for $450 off—that's $49 for the 64GB or $99 for the 128GB. Sounds crazy, but this is in line with my experience last fall.

[slickdeals.net]

Basically, you'll want to ask for the loyalty department via phone or chat. You DO NOT have to threaten to leave or cancel your account. Just ask for "loyalty department" and inquire about what deals you can get on upgrading a line with a 2 year commitment. Best case is a $450 discount off retail on certain phones. Some deals require paying for the phone on installments, and then you get a $10 credit each month for 30 months. It still adds up to $300 savings, but it's a hassle, and it also locks you in for an additional 6 months.

You cannot do it on the website or in a store, and you may even have to try multiple agents. Also, it's absolutely crucial that you be on an unlimited plan or arrange to switch to one with the agent. The Slickdeals threads are bogged down with people asking about whether you can get this with a share plan or a prepaid plan or if you can unlock the phone and evade the 2 year commitment. It's exhausting to wade through that crap. I know everyone wants a deal, but the idea is that if you are on an unlimited plan and agree to keep a line on that plan for 2 years, you may be able to get a generous discount on a new phone. Seems fair, right? I recommend trying it via chat first. Nothing to lose really, but it's a good way to test the waters.

When I first tried this last year, they were pretty much offering $450 off any available phone, but like you, I was hesitant to trust AT&T. I ordered my 11 Pro and and an iPhone 8 for my mom. Apparently in some states, you pay tax on the full retail amount, but for me it was just on the amount paid, so my mom's phone was literally a little over a buck! As for me, I ordinarily would have gotten an 11, but with $450 off, the Pro was a lot easier to justify.

After everything went smoothly, I ordered another iPhone 8 for my dad, and while I wanted to upgrade my daughters' aging phones to the iPhone 11 for Christmas, I waited too long. AT&T removed the most recent phones from the offer (although it was still available on the XR and XS). I ended up getting the 11 on the installment plan with the $300 in credits.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 19, 2020 06:46PM
datbeme
sekker

One post suggests that the XR is currently available for $450 off—that's $49 for the 64GB or $99 for the 128GB.

The other promo they offered me was an 11 for $15 a month, $450 total.

I was under the impression you have to pay tax on the full amount in every state?

Im 100% serious, just call. If the person you are talking to isnt making sense, or you just dont like how they sound... hang up and call back. I was on hold for 8 mintues, pfft. She waslked me thru everything, patiently. I joked about my kids, and the weather, and how people in the south said "y'all" for everything. Said "thank you so much" about a dozen times. She even put me on hold to talk with her supervisor when I had a question she didnt know. Back in 30 seconds. I always make it a fun lightharted call and the service is always excellent.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2020 06:47PM by jdc.
Date: October 19, 2020 09:05PM
jdc
In my experience, being with ATT for 21 years -- just call them... its always easiest by far.

They can tell you exact amounts for any plan pretty much down to the penny.

I called yesterday... heres what how it went
Original plan was 4 phones on a old 12 GB month (throttled after) + rollover + hotspot plan. OG SE & 7 both eligible for upgrade. We have 2 XRs we got a on a BOGO deal, 2 years ago with 5 payments left, $25 month.

Total bill was $190

Swithed to a new Unlimited Extreme plan, 100 GB data + hbo max (which we were payng for anyway). Total for 4 lines keeping all of our same phones/BOGO payment = $207. Not much more for the increased data (which we had gone over before) + HBO (really a $15 month savings) so bill was nearly identical.

But heres where it got fun? I traded in each of the XRs for $800 each + $350 for the 7. Near $2000 in credit. Had to pay off the XRs, $150 each, $300. Ordered 3 new 12s. First 2 are essentially free +Tax. 3rd one is $450 after 7 trade in, or $15 a month.

New phone bill, with 3 new 12s + unlminted extreme + HBO is $175, $15 less than Im payng now. ($160 base + $15 for 3rd 12)

Cash out was $300 (Xr payoff) + $190 ($64 tax X 3) = $500.

So 3 new iPhone 12s for rougly $225 each + 10X more data + HBO savings + $15 cheaper bill.

Nice woman from alabama walked me thru everything in about an hour. Told me to 100% call customer loyalty and get my $30 activation fees waived, should be easy.

This is great info - and a very similar scenario for me. Will call tomorrow!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020