advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Electric Hyundais/Kias and FIRE: BEWARE
Posted by: SteveO
Date: October 20, 2020 01:10PM
I read a few weeks ago they were having problems with brakes and I believe flames were involved in those, too. Here's the latest with some hot batteries. I would guess it is not just the Hyundai models, but Kia electrics too as they are the same company.

October 17, 2020 — Hyundai Kona Electric fires have caused a recall of more than 11,000 SUVs following 13 fires that were allegedly started by electrical short circuits in the lithium-ion batteries when they were fully charged.

Hyundai is warning Kona Electric owners to park their SUVs outside and away from structures until the repairs are complete.

The 2019-2020 Hyundai Kona Electric SUVs have high-voltage battery systems with "electrical deficiencies" or damage to the lithium-ion battery cells. It's also possible the Kona Electric battery management system control software has problems that could increase the risk of an electrical short-circuit after fully charging the LG Chemical battery.

Although Hyundai has been investigating 13 Kona Electric fires since 2019, the automaker says it still doesn't know the "specific root cause" for the fires.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Electric Hyundais/Kias and FIRE: BEWARE
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 20, 2020 01:18PM
Their batteries are made by LG, and LG is also making batteries for Chevy Bolts...which are also having some flammability issues.

[electrek.co]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: kj
Date: October 21, 2020 02:08AM
Good to know fiat batteries are made by samsung, although I feel like it probably has more to do with a software problem than LG anyway. Plus, in the article they say there are 200,000 ice car fires every year in the U.S. (might be more like 170,000), and I've never worried about my ice cars burning.

Cars most likely to burn:

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport:
45,000 units were recalled with a potential transmission fluid leak. The 2015 Outlander Sport Crossover SUV was the most affected model.
Mercedes sedans and SUVs made from 2015-2017
1 million cars were recalled globally after 51 reported fires. C-Class, E-Class, CLA cars, GLA and GLC SUVs were affected. The problem included an overheating starter port. If the car fails to start, repeated attempts can overheat the limiter and start a fire.
Nissan 2016 and 2017 Murano and Maxima, 2017 Infiniti QX60, and 2017-2018 Pathfinder
215,000 vehicles were involved in a combination of two recalls. The reported cause is the anti-lock brake system leakage resulting in brake fluid dripping onto a circuit board causing a short and leading to fire.
Kia Sorento and Optima, and Hyundai Santa Fe and Sonata manufactured from 2011-2014, and Kia Soul manufactured from 2010-2015
Kia and parent company Hyundai has recently been urged to recall nearly 3 million cars and SUVs with complaints of vehicles catching fire while driving. Drivers have filed 220 complaints of fires and 200 complaints of smoldering wires. These fires happen during normal driving.
BMW 1,3, and 5 series. Z4, X3, and X5
1 million cars manufactured from 2006-2011 were recalled near the end of 2017. The problem was reported to be a rusty crankcase ventilation valve. The 3 series had additional wiring issues where the heating and air conditioner wiring could overheat and start a fire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 02:09AM by kj.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 21, 2020 11:28AM
Car fires are the #1 reason for for fire fighters called out to fight actual fires. ICE vehicles burst into flames all the time. No one bats an eye. When you think about it, you're driving around sitting on top of 10-20gal of flammable liquid and explosive vapors. We've just learned to accept that risk.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 21, 2020 01:16PM
We did just purchase a used Bolt EV a month ago. WhatEVs....

sleepy smiley

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020