advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any boomers, luddites, or dinosaurs still using AOL mail via MAIL iOS and macOS?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 20, 2020 10:23PM
Today was the last day before having to somehow update for increased security apparently.

I'm wondering if anybody did so.

They're recommended, #1 option is to use their app for iOS.

I don't know if they have one for macOS, haven't looked yet.

The other option is a one-time password and it's business as usual, but they don't say what happens if you have to log out later, such as with an OS update.

They there's something about deleting one's account from Mail, then adding it back, but with AOL heightened security?

Anybody make any of those moves yet?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any boomers, luddites, or dinosaurs still using AOL mail via MAIL iOS and macOS?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 20, 2020 10:26PM
Still have an account. Using it with Apple Mail. Will delete the account setting and re-create it when/if it stops working.

Re: Any boomers, luddites, or dinosaurs still using AOL mail via MAIL iOS and macOS?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 20, 2020 10:32PM
I use the web interface for AOL email so no worries. The AOL app on the Mac has been crap for the last 15 years or so.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 20, 2020 10:43PM
My 77 year old step mother asked for help with this yesterday. I recommended the iOS app and offered to set her up with a custom email.

For 85 year old Dad, deep into Alzheimers, he just uses AOL webmail to "read" his mail. Thank god he's been doing it the same for 25 years so it is one of the few things he remembers.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 20, 2020 10:53PM
I still have my AOL mail acct, but I haven't really used it in.....decades? I check it from time to time. All junk. I use the web page for that. I don't think I'd want to clog my iPhone Mail app with any of that junk.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Dik2
Date: October 20, 2020 11:10PM
Still use it . Deleted and added it back to MBP, iMac, iPad, & iPhone. All working using Mail.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 20, 2020 11:22PM
I have a netscape.net address, later taken over by AOL; I’ve been getting the warnings, but haven’t dealt with it yet.
Date: October 21, 2020 02:40AM
Will delete the account setting and re-create it when/if it stops working.

Deleted and added it back to MBP, iMac, iPad, & iPhone. All working using Mail.

Ah, great, thanks.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: rz
Date: October 21, 2020 08:09AM
I had an AOL address for about 30 minutes back in the 90s. Hated it, and immediately deleted it. Back then, I bounced around several email addresses. Our MUG offered a free email account for a while. Then I had a worldnet (AT&T) account for a while. I still have a Yahoo account, but I haven't logged in for a couple of years. The only email I would get on that account were from a SheepShaver group announcing updates to the program, and emails from a group that had biannual record shows in the area.

Once Gmail came out, it's my primary account. Also have two email accounts with my ISP.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 21, 2020 09:20AM
My AOL mail disappeared long ago, when I ditched my AOL account. My dinosaur is Earthlink. I have the account I set up when I first signed up for dial-up service in the 90s. I later ended up with eight email accounts as part of my Earthlink broadband package, delivered via Time Warner cable, now Spectrum. I just had to switch to an email-only plan through Earthlink, because their broadband internet contract with Spectrum will not be renewed. So I am using Spectrum for internet since my area is not wired for Earthlink fiber or any other form of broadband and probably never will be.

I’m glad I kept those Earthlink accounts, for a lot of reasons. From the sketchy info Spectrum provides, it looks like you get maybe one account with your broadband service. Hard to tell, given the little information provided about their plans on their site. I also noticed last night that I have more storage space per account with the new Earthlink email-only plan.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 21, 2020 09:46AM
I updated my AOL account on Thunderbird and iOS.
I’ve had this account since 2008. I get minimal spam, and like the web interface. Why go with something newer just because it’s new and “cool?” After all, my supercool spymac account didn’t last very long.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 21, 2020 09:47AM
Yeah, I wasn't paying attention to that. Thanks for mentioning it. Been using that AOL email since they started it. Gee... about the time I discovered those wild and crazy guys who started DealMac ! Wasn't that a Mac only service for a while ?
Posted by: jonny
Date: October 21, 2020 11:15AM
Date: October 21, 2020 11:32AM
My AOL account is working fine this morning, though I haven't updated.

I have a couple of G-Mail accounts I don't use because there wasn't a Mac client (that I knew of) for a long time, and I hate web versions.

AOL has done very well by me, including getting me online when my Mac kit wasn't really up to it.

There's no small loyalty, and it's worked very well with macOS and iOS.

So I'll update today.

Thank you, all, for the information.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020