You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
It's Back, maybe according to American Airlines
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 21, 2020 05:37AM
American Airlines plans to return Boeing 737 Max to service at year-end
Reuters
Reuters -
American Airlines Group plans to return Boeing BA.N 737 Max jets to service for
passenger flights by the end of this year depending on certification of the aircraft
from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), it said on Sunday.
The airline said it will operate a daily 737 Max flight between Miami and New York
from Dec. 29 to Jan. 4, with flights available for booking from Oct. 24.
“We remain in contact with the FAA and Boeing on the certification process and we’ll
continue to update our plans based on when the aircraft is certified,” the company
said in an statement.
The FAA in a statement Sunday reiterated it has no timeline for approving the
plane’s return to service and said it “will lift the grounding order only after FAA
safety experts are satisfied that the aircraft meets certification standards.”

Tanned, Rested, & Ready @ Tulsa

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It's Back, maybe according to American Airlines
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 21, 2020 07:50AM
So will American give everyone a $5 million flight insurance policy?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 21, 2020 08:11AM
"To mitigate the ill-effects of the MCAS system, the upgraded flight software will take 'polling info' via wi-fi from passenger's mobile devices. If the software decides to do a nose dive during take-off, the passengers will be able to vote 'yes' or 'no' to the question, 'Do you think a nose-dive is a good idea right now?'"

Posted by: rz
Date: October 21, 2020 08:11AM
Gotta die somehow... either Covid or 737 Max. Or both, I suppose.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 21, 2020 08:28AM
It's probably the safest aircraft in the world right now...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 21, 2020 09:58AM
DP

That's not possible.Unlike most other passenger aircraft, it has an inherently unstable wing/engine design that is corrected for by software. What could possibly go wrong?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 09:59AM by davester.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 21, 2020 10:25AM
"It's probably the safest aircraft in the world right now..."

I SERIOUSLY doubt that..........

Now if you said it was the aircraft that needed the most payoffs needed to be approved........
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 21, 2020 10:27AM
As if we needed another reason to not fly American Airlines...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 21, 2020 11:31AM
DP

Only because it never leaves the ground.

Putting this airliner back into service seems a most apt ending to 2020.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 11:32AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 21, 2020 12:20PM
davester
DP

That's not possible.Unlike most other passenger aircraft, it has an inherently unstable wing/engine design that is corrected for by software. What could possibly go wrong?

I’m not sure that’s quite correct. Of course with all the various accounts of the Max’s problems, I don’t blame you for thinking that, as I am confused at times as well.

The airplane is not inherently unstable. However its flight characteristics during a particular part of the envelope, diverges slightly from previous 737s (it’s slightly less stable, but still well within acceptable stability limits). Therefore, in order to preserve the same crew type rating with previous 737s, the MCAS system was added to make the Max behave like its predecessors.

It’s the implementation of this particular MCAS system that was very bad, from a design and interface perspective (and that traces its roots to lousy management choosing inexperienced designers without adequate experienced oversight, all motivated by greed and trying to save money). Boeing has used MCAS on other models of aircraft with absolutely no issues from what I understand.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 12:28PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 21, 2020 01:57PM
To me I would calll the design inherently unstable. The position of the engines will cause a continuous torque to pitch up. By itself that is not unstable, but the amount of trim required to counter that pitch up movement is constantly varying depending where the plane is within the flight envelope. Engine power settings also come into play.

How they implemented the MCAS system just aggravated the inherent stabiity problem as it introduced a single point of failure on detecting crucial flight parameters.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 21, 2020 02:19PM
But that’s just looking at one aspect of its stability. All of the various characteristics of a particular airplane design contribute to its stability in a positive or negative way. The sum of which traditionally characterizes the airplane’s overall stability. I don’t believe any aerospace engineer working in the field of stability and control would characterize the 737 as an inherently unstable aircraft (in fact the Federal Aviation Regulations that dictate the design of commercial airliners prohibit inherently unstable designs if I’m not mistaken). I think we have a few other aero engineers here that my chime in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020