Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
James Randi dies
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 21, 2020 06:58PM
A life well lived

James Randi, the magician who escaped from jail cells, underwater coffins and straitjackets before becoming a scientific skeptic bent on debunking those who peddle in the paranormal and supernatural, has died. He was 92.

Randi died Tuesday "due to age-related causes," according to a post on the James Randi Educational Foundation website.

In a Twitter post, Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller called Randi "our inspiration, mentor and dear friend." He appeared on occasion on the duo's Showtime doc series Penn & Teller: @#$%&!

In 1956, The Amazing Randi appeared live on the Today show, surviving for 104 minutes in a sealed metal coffin submerged in a swimming pool to better a record held by Harry Houdini. Two decades later, he escaped from a straitjacket while suspended upside-down over Niagara Falls.

The Toronto native also was a regular on the 1960s New York kids show Wonderama, played a dentist and an executioner on Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies concert tour in the '70s, appeared as himself on a 1978 episode of Happy Days and wound up on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson more than 30 times.

Randi gave up magic and for several decades dedicated his life to exposing frauds. As such, he was the subject of An Honest Liar, a 2016 installment of the PBS documentary series Independent Lens.

"I'm a liar, a cheat and a charlatan," Randi told The New York Times in 2001, "but at least I know it."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: James Randi dies
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 21, 2020 07:06PM
Dammit!

Dude owes me a million bucks! cursing smiley

...I still listen to his old his podcasts a couple of times a year. He was awesome. World needs more like him.

Edit: Like him... you know... BEFORE he died.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 07:07PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 21, 2020 07:29PM
I had the unexpected experience of sitting right behind him in the audience at the screening of his movie in my city.

His works live on. hail smiley
Posted by: hal
Date: October 21, 2020 08:24PM
I can't recommend strongly enough the film, An Honest Liar [www.imdb.com] It's a bio pic, but seems to focus on his career as a revealer of charlatans. What an interesting man!

When I got that IMDB link there was a link saying to watch it free on IMDB (not sure what is entailed) here's the link: [www.imdb.com]
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 21, 2020 08:49PM
R.I.P. Amazing Randi

who knows how many folks took up magic due to his influence.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: timg
Date: October 22, 2020 05:54PM
He's not dead, it's just his latest trick! smiling smiley

RIP Mr Randi

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 22, 2020 08:50PM
timg
He's not dead, it's just his latest trick! smiling smiley

Ooooh! winking smiley

That's why they buried him in the milk can!!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 22, 2020 09:46PM
I just watched the 2015 documentary. Pretty interesting, and I didn't know anything about any of the history nor of Randi. HIs was a name I'd heard of long ago but never saw any of his TV appearances or whatever.

It's on IMDB, hosted by Amazon Prime (whatever that means?) direct link:

[www.amazon.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020