advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
DieHard vs AutoCraft battery: same thing or bait and switch?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 21, 2020 07:00PM
I ordered a DieHard battery, went to pick it up, was busy talking to them about testing the old one I turned in and picked up some RainX and didn't pay attention. Got home, notice the new battery is AutoCraft, not DieHard. Made 04/2020, so only 6 months old.

Went online and saw another customer complaining about bait and witch.

Is it the same brand or not? should I go back tomorrow morning to return it? The email, and receipt both say DieHard.

scroll down a bit and you see a picture from another customer, about 22 days ago.

[shop.advanceautoparts.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 07:07PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: DieHard vs AutoCraft battery: same thing or bait and switch?
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 21, 2020 07:29PM
AutoCraft is a lot cheaper so if you paid DieHard money you should have gotten a genuine DieHard battery. You should only have to pay AutoCraft money (+ or - 2/3rds the cost of a DieHard) for an AutoCraft battery.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 21, 2020 08:28PM
Badging and branding is important.

Buy a Caddy, get a Chevy ? And the dealer says “well they are both cars so...”
Posted by: davester
Date: October 21, 2020 09:57PM
Standard automotive lead-acid flooded batteries in the US are made by three manufacturers, Exide, East Penn, and Johnson Controls. I think each of those is owned by a larger corporation. The multiplicity of brand names that you see has nothing to do with who made the batteries.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 21, 2020 11:08PM
Batteries are known-tech, especially lead acid. All you care about here is rated capacity/specs and the warranty. I’m a little surprised though that the battery was 6 mos. old. I usually look on the shelf and pick out the newest one. Staff probably picks out the oldest one.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: October 22, 2020 12:00AM
Advance Auto Parts bought the Diehard brand back in December 2019. If you search Advance Auto Parts website for batteries you find mainly Diehard batteries. A few Autocraft Powersport batteries are pictured but they use the Diehard name in the description. I wonder if they are phasing out the Autocraft name. Diehard and Autocraft are both made by Johnson Controls (Clarios).
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 22, 2020 08:10AM
Standard automotive lead-acid flooded batteries in the US are made by three manufacturers,
Exide, East Penn, and Johnson Controls

Johnson Control is out of the biz. They sold out to Clarios.
The Bosch AGM in my VW is actually a Varta, owned by Clarios!

Also, there is Crown Battery of Ohio, a privately owned mfr. They make
a lot of private label & rebadged auto batteries. [www.crownbattery.com]

Then there's VRLA (AGM) batteries, several big firms make them but you won't find
their corporate name on the label!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: space-time
Date: October 22, 2020 11:15AM
Stopped by the store this morning, the old guy that was there this morning explained to me that it's the same, they just sell a lot more car batteries and refreshed their stock faster, and deep cycle sell slower and they still have the old Autocraft in stock.

I told him fine, just see if you find one a little newer than this one. He went back and brought one from July. When I looked at it, it was I fact a Diehard! It looked identical with the Autocraft, just different label. I can check the UPC later on, but I believe that is different.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020