advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Full size SD, or mSD for digicam? Also 64GB or 128GB?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 21, 2020 10:24PM
Debating on optioning up to bigger storage for Canon SX740 HS travel zoom camera. Been using 32GB, but thinking of going large in anticipation of pandemic eventually abating, and the camera having pent up demand to go on some serious shooting sprees.

Brain spit out the thought of going w/ mSD card in full size SD adapter, so that at some point, mSD card might be used in a phone or tablet. Other thought is that full size SD card is marginally faster, and *may* be more reliable (?) since no extra adapter involved.

Going bigger to accommodate 4K video, FHD 60fps video, and burst shooting.
Pretty sure 64GB would be adequate, but are there any advantages to warrant going 128GB?
So what is the forum consensus on size, style/type, and make/model/speed to handle these tasks?
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Full size SD, or mSD for digicam? Also 64GB or 128GB?
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: October 22, 2020 06:38AM
Buzz
...Other thought is that full size SD card...*may* be more reliable (?) since no extra adapter involved...

For that reason alone I do not use microSD cards in adapters in devices which natively take full-sized cards. (unless it's to read the data that's already on them).

Oh - I also use Sandisk exclusively now - haven't had one fail one me (yet), compared to other brands.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 22, 2020 07:17AM
If you are shooting rapid fire consecutive images or 4K video, I would opt for SD card without adapter. Sometimes an adapter can cause a bottleneck for data transfer and slow down the card writing process. This isn't something that review sites typically cover.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 22, 2020 10:54AM
Full size it will be then, thanks.

Is there any reason to go 128GB? 64GB should be adequate, and off loading data will be readily available.

Is there some minimum write speed that really ought to be observed IRL? Reading reviews of a zillion different cards begets a myriad of 4K claims; the highest write speed cards say "no jitters", while the slower (but still fairly fast) cards tout 4K compatibility, but don't mention jitters. Brain says cameras have buffers that write to cards as fast as they can, and "jitters" may occur when buffer overflows, and can't write all the data. I couldn't find a clear cut explanation of what minimum sustained speeds should be used, and while it's not a huge $$ difference, I don't necessarily want to overbuy if it really isn't needed.
Thanks.
==
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 22, 2020 11:23AM
I suggest the MicroCenter branded cards, a good deal amd I've been buying them for years without a failure. Of course, I also bought SanDisk cards for years without a failure and then had two failures in a row. So, you never know.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 22, 2020 11:36AM
It is going to depend on your camera, the processor, and the buffer to have a more precise readout on requirements.

The Sandisk Extreme is 170MB per second $36 for 128MB [www.amazon.com]

256GB
[www.amazon.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 22, 2020 06:06PM
My main concern with the larger cards is that if everything from a trip or event is on a single card, and that card gets damaged, you potentially lose everything.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020