advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Repair Corrupted jpeg files
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 21, 2020 10:54PM
Have a couple of hundred jpegs off wires phone, that don't have a preview on the icon of the file, and won't open in preview as it says its the wrong file type or corrupted. ,

Was going to launch an older version of Stellar jpeg repair utility, but won't run on Catalina, I downloaded the newest version. Is this App ok, to try and see if it will work.

Is it legit?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Repair Corrupted jpeg files
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 21, 2020 11:03PM
No.

Do a batch-conversion with GraphicConverter. It'll recover any image data in the files.

Posted by: Microman
Date: October 22, 2020 09:21AM
I downloaded GC, and installed. Quite a change in 15-20 years since last I used it. GC wouldn't open the file, said it was wrong format or damaged.

I coud see the size and date and time of its creation.

I did a search of FINDER, and saw 3 files with the exact same name IMG_0921.JPG the bad one's icon didn't show the picture, the other 2 did. Damaged file was 3.5 mb, the two with same time and date open and are fine, but are only 2 mb each.

Can I assume that this 2 mb file is the same as the damaged 3.5 mb file?, I see a lot of files with the same name as my wife and I take pictures through out the years

OH, and I just noticed that this folder of images, was offloaded from the iPhone, when they couldn't be opened on iPhone, using image capture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2020 09:23AM by Microman.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 22, 2020 01:29PM
It's possible that they are thumbnails or compressed versions of the damaged file. Hard to say. Check the creation/modification dates and see if they match or are close.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020