advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
UK iPhone question
Posted by: DP
Date: October 23, 2020 06:34AM
I have an iPhone 5 that I've used as a backup, mostly for my wife as I am more used to Androids, but I have used it too when I've misplaced my S8. The battery is dying on the iP5 and I bought a refurb 16gb SE from Newegg for $79 as I didn't want to spend a lot and the SE would still be an upgrade from the 5.

OK, I get it yesterday and I switch SIMs and start the routine of setting up the SE but it stops at the step that says I need to get the phone unlocked. I call T-Mobile, explain the situation and we keep going around and around about the IMEI number. And it turns out the phone is a UK model and T-M here in the US can't unlock it. The rep says her computer won't even allow the input of the UK IMEI and we can't get past that step.

Newegg has generated an RMA for the phone but I'm thinking, can Apple unlock it? Or can I contact T-M in the UK to see if there is anything they can do? It's a decent price so any other suggestions would be appreciated before I send it back as I'd just like to exhaust options.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: UK iPhone question
Posted by: DP
Date: October 23, 2020 08:44AM
A follow up-I called Newegg and the 3rd party provider is going to replace this phone with a US model. Why they sent me a UK model...?

Anyway, I'll see what happens...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Re: UK iPhone question
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 24, 2020 07:04PM
thumbs up

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020