Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPad Magic Keyboard mini review
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 23, 2020 04:43PM
Using on a 2018 iPad Pro 11".

I have now used the Apple Folio, the Brydge keyboard (without trackpad), and the Apple iPad Magic Keyboard. The Folio was terrible in my opinion, not sufficient magnetics to attach. The Brydge converted to a permanent clamshell form factor. The Magic Keyboard promised the best of both, plus a new thing in iPadOS14 - trackpad.

I really wanted to try to see how much value this trackpad provided, now that iPadOS14 is out.

Quick notes: hardware is excellent and works well. Plenty of reviews out there like this one: [www.theverge.com]

My comments are on some things I do not see mentioned around.
1) I found it works fine in my lap. This was not obvious from reviews.
2) Being able to scroll up and down without touching the iPad is worth it alone to have a trackpad. Again, in this case Jobs was right - you do NOT want to have to touch the screen all of the time.
3) The super quick ability to remove (one-handed) and make it a tablet from a laptop form factor is mentioned but not emphasized in the reviews. This is really great.
4) The ability to wirelessly charge means that putting the keyboard on my desk makes this a terrific - but as I noted before - expensive dock. This hardware works now with the latest iPad Air, too. I hope Apple keeps this form factor another year so I can have it for future iPads. Even if just the iPad Air and the A14 chip is likely enough years of good service.
5) As noted, it IS expensive ($289 plus tax with education discount). I had mixed reasons to invest, and so far I am happy.

WIth iPadOS14, this hardware combination is the closest thing to a touchscreen laptop. But you can see how a mix of both interfaces - with software that takes advantage - would be the better way to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 04:44PM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPad Magic Keyboard mini review
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 23, 2020 05:40PM
I like my iPad Pro 2018/Magic Keyboard combo also

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020