Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Arlo Guthrie hanging it up
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 23, 2020 07:43PM
From his Facebook page:

It’s been a great 50+ years of being a working entertainer, but I reached the difficult decision that touring and stage shows are no longer possible. I've cancelled the upcoming shows, and am not accepting offers for new ones. That’s the short version. For the longer version continue reading…

As a folksinger, I never really thought much about getting older. It seemed to me that I could just continue year after year, decade after decade, singing and playing as I had done for most of my life. As the years went by, it got more difficult to keep touring, but I did it, mostly because I’d been doing it my entire life. It was the life I knew and loved.

In 2016 on April 1st, April Fools Day, I got really dizzy in the parking lot of the hotel, and started seeing as though I were looking through a kaleidoscope. That evening the show went on as though nothing had happened. I had no idea I’d just encountered a mini stroke until weeks later, when I was told about it. It didn’t appear to affect my performance, or my state of being. I continued touring for the next 4 years.

Then, on Thanksgiving Day 2019 (of all freaking days) it happened again. This time I was on my way to The Church / The Guthrie Center to help out with our annual Thanksgiving Dinner that we hold every year. I had pulled over to fuel up and realized I couldn’t continue to drive safely, as everything was spinning around, sort of like the old days, but without the help of illegal substances. I was taken to the hospital, and was under evaluation, when I broke out. I had an important gig at Carnegie Hall in New York - The end of an annual series I’d been doing for decades and it was Sold Out. I had to be there. It was imperative.

The next morning I left the hospital, took the family and headed for New York. And what a show it was! We wrapped up 50 years with a terrific evening with the entire family on stage. I really enjoyed it.
The following day I flew to my home in Sebastian, FL just as I had done for years, this time with the history of Carnegie Hall behind me. My girlfriend, Marti picked me up at the airport, and we settled into the routine of being on the river I loved. Two nights after arriving home, I awoke in the morning and was lurching from sIde to side. I knew something was wrong, and went to keep a doctors appointment we’d previously set up. The doc said “You need to go to the hospital - Now.”

So, Marti took me to the hospital nearby in Vero Beach. They kept me there for 3 days, running tests of all kinds, and essentially informed me that I’d suffered a stroke. This time was more serious, as I’d lost some ability to walk, and I wondered if if would be able to play music. I spent about a week in a rehab center to re-learn the basics, like walking. I went home after that, and began a regimen of playing guitar, walking… All the things I would need to continue touring and performing. During the entire time, Marti kept the family and close friends advised as to my progress, and took really great care of me. I needed all the help I could get. And she was there to see it done right.

By the the time our first shows began in 2020, I was at about at 80% and felt like I was improving. Then the pandemic hit. All the shows we had planned for 2020 were at first, postponed, then rescheduled and finally cancelled. My hopes for a gradual recovery onstage came to an abrupt end.
Meanwhile, I’d decided back in 2018 to move from the home in Florida. And just as I’d returned from our last gig in Tennessee, a buyer appeared, and we had a deal on the table to sell The CrabHouse. I wasn’t in any shape to go through the intricacies of selling a guitar pick, let alone a home with 30 years of stuff we’d collected. Marti ended up doing it all. She finalized the deal, and dealt with the stuff that either had to be sold, moved or thrown out. It was quite a lot. But, through garage sales, online markets, movers and friends, she’d pretty much emptied the CrabHouse of everything, and we moved into her place about a mile away.

We were there for a few weeks, before it was safe enough to return to The Farm in Massachusetts. That was in June 2020. Since then we’ve been holed up at The Farm trying to keep out of harms way, and also trying to provide some online entertainment for our friends who were, and continue to be, holed up wherever they are. My band and crew arranged a few short gigs that were filmed at The Church, but when I saw the play-back in the editing room I realized that it was not up to the standards I expected of myself, let alone the expectations that our friends and fans had come to enjoy.

A folksinger’s shelf life may be a lot longer than a dancer or an athlete, but at some point, unless you’re incredibly fortunate or just plain whacko (either one or both) it’s time to hang up the “Gone Fishing” sign. Going from town to town and doing stage shows, remaining on the road is no longer an option.
I don’t remember answering the question on the other side of that piece of paper when I was asked “Kid! Have you rehabilitated yourself?” But, the short answer is now clearly, “No!” In fact, I hope to be a thorn in the side of a new administration pretty soon. Tom Paine once wrote “To argue with a man who has renounced the use … of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead….” In other words, you cannot and should not argue with people who don’t care, or hold the caring of others in contempt. A healthy suspicion of authority, left, right or center has been the hallmark of my career since the beginning, and I will continue to poke fun at cultural, political, or personal absurdities as I see it. I’m actually looking forward to it.

I’m happy, healthy and good to go, even if I’m not going anywhere. I’ve taken back 6-9 months that I used to spend on the road, and enjoying myself with Marti, my family and friends. In short - Gone Fishing.

~From his FB page

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 07:44PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Arlo Guthrie hanging it up
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 23, 2020 07:55PM
....this really hits you in the Gut.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: October 23, 2020 08:01PM
Time to heal. It’s not the last we will hear from him.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 23, 2020 08:05PM
Love that guy. Glad he's hanging it up while he can still enjoy life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 08:07PM by lost in space.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 23, 2020 08:08PM
I hope events will inspire him to a performance of Alice on Thanksgiving.
Posted by: raz
Date: October 23, 2020 08:15PM
He was in town the week before thanksgiving 2019. So, I guess we saw the penultimate performance.

Enjoy retirement, Arlo.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: October 23, 2020 08:28PM
Maybe if he can recuperate some, he can have barn jams like Levon Helm did.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 23, 2020 09:10PM
Thanks for the music and the tales and the memories, and a long and wondrous retirement. Well deserved and much appreciated.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 23, 2020 09:28PM
You can no longer get anything you want...

Thank you for the music over the years.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 23, 2020 09:54PM
cbelt3
Thanks for the music and the tales and the memories, and a long and wondrous retirement. Well deserved and much appreciated.
Well said!
At 73, he should be sleeping in, going fishing, etc. ...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 24, 2020 04:39AM
MrNoBody
cbelt3
Well said!
At 73, he should be sleeping in, going fishing, etc. ...

I’m going with this Clintism:

It is what it is.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 24, 2020 07:50AM
Too bad there isn't a third Guthrie generation to continue the family business.

Get you Arlo fix at [songs-tube.net]
About 100 recordings of his songs

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 24, 2020 08:54AM
There’s no predicting life, is there? I’ve always appreciated his perspective. Got a chance to see him perform in a small town back in 2018 I think it was. Very enjoyable ... you got the sense that if there’s a wisest person in the room it would surely be him.

Who else read, “running tests of all kinds” above and had a sense of deja vu from his best-known song?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 24, 2020 10:42AM
Ombligo

All four of his kids are working musicians. His son Abe has toured with Arlo. The family business will continue, but in its own way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 02:57PM by JoeH.
Date: October 24, 2020 11:54AM
JoeH
Ombligo

All four of his kids are working musicians. His sone Abe has toured with Arlo. The family business will continue, but in its own way.

I've seen a lot of families carrying on on YouTube - Willie Nelson, John Fogarty, Levon Helm and Roy Orbison come to mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 11:55AM by Dennis S.
Date: October 24, 2020 02:57PM
Dennis S
JoeH
Ombligo

All four of his kids are working musicians. His son Abe has toured with Arlo. The family business will continue, but in its own way.

I've seen a lot of families carrying on on YouTube - Willie Nelson, John Fogarty, Levon Helm and Roy Orbison come to mind.

Since you brought up Willie Nelson, daughter Cathy Guthrie plays ukulele in a group she formed with Willie's daughter Amy Nelson.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 24, 2020 06:39PM
Sorry to hear he's hanging it up as I am a huge fan of his work. But, give the man a break! Over 50 years doing what he did, the dude deserves retirement and an easier life.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: blooz
Date: October 24, 2020 10:23PM
I don't count Thanksgiving as thanksgiving unless i find "Alice's Restaurant somewhere on the radio (has to be on the radio). He wasn't as important to me as Woodie, but then, who could be? The times were different and i think Arlo lived up to the challenge of his times.
I hope he enjoys his retirement, and that he keeps picking and singing and bringing joy even if it's not peak Arlo.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 25, 2020 08:33AM
Where is The Farm? Close to you, blooz?
Date: October 25, 2020 09:38AM
mrbigstuff
Where is The Farm? Close to you, blooz?

If I recall correctly where blooz lives, The Farm in the town of Washington, MA is about 20 miles away from him. Perhaps a bit farther by road as there is no direct route due to the hills in that area of Berkshire County.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 25, 2020 10:40AM
Ah, yeah. Odd that there's a Washington and a Mt. Washington, too. (Mt. Washington is pretty neat place.)
Date: October 25, 2020 11:06AM
mrbigstuff
Ah, yeah. Odd that there's a Washington and a Mt. Washington, too. (Mt. Washington is pretty neat place.)

Both in the same county and named for Gorge Washington. All part of Massachusetts messing with out-of-staters. For example there are two places named for Ben Franklin, a town and a county that are nowhere near each other.

Mt. Washington has its small bit of fame as part of it was ceded to NY in the late 1800's. That is the corner clipped off the SW part of the state of MA. That part of the town was difficult to get to from the rest, but easy to get into from the NY side of the border. Promoters of bare-knuckle boxing out of NY used to set up bouts there, NY police forces couldn't arrest there and those based in MA would arrive too late.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 25, 2020 05:30PM
It’s kind of tough for some of us to accept that some of the artists that have created the music that has shaped our lives are now having health issues as they age that are causing them to either cut back or stop performing all together. Hearing about Arlo and Christopher Cross’s health problems, among others, saddens me but I understand what they are going through regarding their music, having decided to let my musical colleagues know that I’ve decided to “go fishing” as well. I’m glad that both are doing better physically. There’s always a possibility that Arlo’s health will improve enough and he’ll feel he can perform again. Christopher Cross looks to be making progress and sounded great when I saw him on TV the other day. What I don’t want to see again is anyone taking the path that Keith Emerson chose. That one hurt bad.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020