advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PeterB, who did you upset? Now it is Hurricane Zeta
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 25, 2020 04:05AM

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PeterB, who did you upset? Now it is Hurricane Zeta
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 25, 2020 07:24AM
....Catherine....Zeta......Jones......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 25, 2020 08:33AM
facepalm I didn't upset anyone. This is the way our global air currents are going now...

The good news is that it's unlikely this one will strengthen enough to make it much past a Cat 1, and the cooler water off our coast is likely to reduce its strength before it makes landfall.

The bad news? We seem to be running out of greek letters.

Edit, check out the Earth-wind map that steve.. posted awhile back:

[earth.nullschool.net]

... seems to suggest that this is funneling in the cooler air coming from the North...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2020 08:51AM by PeterB.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 25, 2020 09:53AM
Damn, iimts like the gods are playing pool (and trying to sink the 8 ball) with New Orleans all season long!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 25, 2020 09:53AM
Not to worry, this is the last one for the season. We have lots of cold air headed your way.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2020 09:54AM by Speedy.
Date: October 25, 2020 10:05AM
Carnos Jax
Damn, iimts like the gods are playing pool (and trying to sink the 8 ball) with New Orleans all season long!

Yep, so far we've been lucky, but of course at some point, we won't be. At least if this one hits us head on, it's not likely to be more than a Cat 1.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 25, 2020 10:34AM
PeterB

It's not so bad as it seems.

There are 24 letters in the Greek alphabet. We're only down six.

Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta.

Date: October 25, 2020 10:48AM
Sarcany
PeterB

It's not so bad as it seems.

There are 24 letters in the Greek alphabet. We're only down six.

Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta.

That was my whole point, the fact that we're running through the Greek letters so quickly, we're already onto the equivalent of "F".

Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 25, 2020 11:42AM
What would come after zeta? I read this ties the 2005 Storm season, but in 2005 there was another unnamed storm...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: October 25, 2020 11:50AM
Rolando
What would come after zeta?...

Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa, Lamda, Mu... And if we need more than that, there won't be a Louisiana left to worry about.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 25, 2020 12:10PM
NOAA needs to rethink the naming protocols. The Greek alphabet works for professionals and fratboys, but the general public can't follow it. Going to a modified phonetic alphabet (drop the proper names for another word), that would get the names back to a simple A,B,C routine.

Eventually, a Greek name will need to be retired in any case - then what?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: October 25, 2020 12:23PM
Sarcany
Rolando
What would come after zeta?...

Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa, Lamda, Mu... And if we need more than that, there won't be a Louisiana left to worry about.

Exactly. By the time we hit Pi, this place will be underwater. We still have the whole month of November to go through.

Date: October 25, 2020 12:45PM
Ombligo
NOAA needs to rethink the naming protocols. The Greek alphabet works for professionals and fratboys, but the general public can't follow it. Going to a modified phonetic alphabet (drop the proper names for another word), that would get the names back to a simple A,B,C routine.

Eventually, a Greek name will need to be retired in any case - then what?

Keep in mind that they never thought that they'd need the Greek alphabet except maybe in some once-in-a-century fluke year.

Anyway, it's all been discussed:
[public.wmo.int]

The WMO Regional Association IV Hurricane Committee annual session in 2006 discussed the use of the Greek alphabet for hurricane naming, and whether a Greek alphabet name should be retired as done for a regular name when it meets the criteria for retirement. The Committee felt that the use of the Greek alphabet was not expected to be frequent enough to warrant any change in the existing naming procedure for the foreseeable future and therefore decided that the naming system would remain unchanged and that the Greek alphabet would continue to be used.

In this connection, the Committee also agreed that it was not practical to “retire into hurricane history” a letter in the Greek alphabet. Therefore, if a significant storm designated by a letter of the Greek alphabet, in either the Atlantic or eastern North Pacific Basin, is “retired”, the year of occurrence and other details would be included.

I think the way that's to be interpreted is that the Greek letters won't formally be retired, but as the letters are re-used there will be an asterisk next to the name with a note that a storm with the same name would have qualified for retirement in year xxxx.

...They usually decide on storm names 6 years in advance, but hit a stalemate in discussions in 2019, so they'll be setting the names for storms from 2025 onward in the 2021 meeting. My guess is that they will formalize the double-Greek system at that point. In the past, they've speculated that if necessary they might go alpha-alpha, beta-beta, gamma-gamma, etc. when they need to go beyond the Greek alphabet.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 25, 2020 01:22PM
Somebody that shouldn't be, is nonetheless heating up the glow ball.
==
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 25, 2020 01:47PM
PeterB

There are 18 Greek letters left after Zeta. Common misconception that Zeta is the end.

[www.wwltv.com]

ADDED: Sorry; when I first clicked this to read, there weren't any replies as of yet.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2020 01:48PM by Zoidberg.
Date: October 25, 2020 09:16PM
Zoidberg
PeterB

There are 18 Greek letters left after Zeta. Common misconception that Zeta is the end.

[www.wwltv.com]

ADDED: Sorry; when I first clicked this to read, there weren't any replies as of yet.

Yep, I knew Zeta wasn't the end ... c'mon now, I've seen Beneath the Planet of the Apes WAYYYY too many times...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020