advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyway to get a .pkg or .mpkg file out of the App Store?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 20, 2020 10:49AM
So... we've got these Document Cameras at school...
And, I have to install the software for them.

The manufacturers App only has a download from the App Store, and, I have 30-ish laptops to install it on... which means, going "hands on" with my account (the only one with purchasing powers for my organization... long story, yes, I know there are other ways... due to policies, I can't use them... Not my choice...) to 30 computers.

OR, if I just had the dang installer package, I could blast it out using Apple Remote Desktop and be done with it!

Is there any way to just get an installer .pkg out of an App Store download?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyway to get a .pkg or .mpkg file out of the App Store?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 20, 2020 11:07AM
Other than the OS, I can't recall ever downloading an installer package from the Mac App Store.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 20, 2020 11:11AM
Which document cameras did you guys go with Paul?

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: November 20, 2020 12:23PM
you can't just make 30 copies after you download it once? Will the os will block you from doing that?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 20, 2020 12:30PM
App store installs have to be tied to an Apple ID. You can't, as far as I understand, install an App store program without a mechanism to confirm the 'purchase' with the App store. Apple collects data on App store purchases for each user, and uses that information internally.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: hal
Date: November 20, 2020 12:33PM
Contact the manufacturer and ask for a thumb drive installer?? What a pain in the ass!
Date: November 20, 2020 12:33PM
Markintosh
Which document cameras did you guys go with Paul?

We went with the IPEVO V4K.
I wanted the VZ-R camera for increased flexibility (it has HDMI as well as USB, the V4K is USB only), but they were backordered to hell and gone, whereas the V4K we could actually GET.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: November 20, 2020 12:41PM
hal
you can't just make 30 copies after you download it once? Will the os will block you from doing that?

Nope... as mentioned, App Store "downloads" do not have .pkg files... they just install "directly" from the App Store App, and are tied to the AppleID. Fortunately, the AppleID is the same, but, I can't "remotely" push the software (or, in many cases, just the updated version).

I have emailed the companies support to see if there's a "stand alone installer" they can let me use.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: November 20, 2020 12:53PM
Not sure which software you need to install.

I found this: [www.ipevo.com] and it includes the Mac version.

IPEVO claims that it will work with universal USB cam drivers. I've been helping out some of the teacher's at my wife's school and have found that to be the case with many document cameras.

My wife went with the HueHD for its overall simplicity. The Hue software is actually a steaming pile of poop. But there is an online Hue camera viewer available via Chrome which works quite well.

For distance learning purposes, it allows Mrs Markintosh to just bounce from her Google Slides to the document camera bu just switching tabs.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Date: November 20, 2020 06:12PM
Markintosh
Not sure which software you need to install.

I found this: [www.ipevo.com] and it includes the Mac version.

IPEVO claims that it will work with universal USB cam drivers. I've been helping out some of the teacher's at my wife's school and have found that to be the case with many document cameras.

My wife went with the HueHD for its overall simplicity. The Hue software is actually a steaming pile of poop. But there is an online Hue camera viewer available via Chrome which works quite well.

For distance learning purposes, it allows Mrs Markintosh to just bounce from her Google Slides to the document camera bu just switching tabs.

Go ahead... click that link to Visualizer... It takes you right to the App Store (the Mac one does, the Windows version has an installer!).

The IPEVO's have improved in compatibility, but, a lot of teachers would need retraining to just switch cameras in Zoom, etc.... whereas they already know how to use Visualizer. At least some of them do.

The GOOD news is, just before I left work for the day, I got a reply to my email to IPEVO Customer Service.... they gave me a link to a simple .zip version (which is funny, because the App Store downloaded version cannot be moved to another computer - it @#$%& about the AppleID).

So, big shout out to IPEVO's customer service!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: November 20, 2020 06:18PM
If only my wife's district had a tech person as dedicated as you are.

The same tech guy has been nothing nothing for 10+ years. Things really moved forward only because I did huge amounts of everything at my site and her site until I retired 4 years ago.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 20, 2020 07:01PM
Is there a reason you don't manage them with an MDM of some nature that would manage and push those apps out?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: November 20, 2020 09:31PM
Paul F.

Go ahead... click that link to Visualizer... It takes you right to the App Store (the Mac one does, the Windows version has an installer!).

And it even said it right there! Sorry, been operating with a migraine today...

Date: November 21, 2020 08:52AM
C(-)ris
Is there a reason you don't manage them with an MDM of some nature that would manage and push those apps out?

Yup... cost. The "higher ups" balked at the cost of an MDM, and the free one I've found (Munki), I haven't had time this year to dedicate to learning how to set it up...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: November 21, 2020 08:52AM
Markintosh
Paul F.

And it even said it right there! Sorry, been operating with a migraine today...

No worries, man... happens to us all! Hope the migraine goes away ASAP!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020