advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to sell tires
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 20, 2020 11:47AM
I have some winter tires that won’t fit my wife’s new vehicle so I need to sell them. I think I paid around $1600 for the and put very few miles on them. Is there a way for me to describe the remaining tread when I advertise on Craigslist? New territory for me.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to sell tires
Posted by: Bixby
Date: November 20, 2020 11:51AM
I'd measure the depth and take a photo with a coin or something to give scale.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: November 20, 2020 11:58AM
Slip a decimal point in the price?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 20, 2020 12:02PM
How to read date codes: www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

I agree with the concept of a photo. Maybe a macro of some sort at a tangent with a small ruler. If you aren't opposed to making a trip or waiting for a home delivery, HomeDespot has a 6" pocket steel ruler for $2.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 20, 2020 12:03PM
Craigslist and OfferUp. Put a coin in the tread. If you use a Penny, put the head pointing down.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 20, 2020 12:05PM
Are they just tires or tires and wheels?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 20, 2020 12:06PM
agree smiley

The only thing that makes me want to consider used tires is very aggressive pricing compared to new. You can show me tread depth pretty easily with a photo, but I want to see all parts of each tire to know that there is no cracking from age, sidewall damage, repairs, reasonably balanced, etc.

Thats requires a personal inspection. So again, I would only be motivated by a very low price.

The second type of person that would buy used is someone that can't afford new...again, aggressive pricing.

Curious what snow tire cost $1600 for a set...or does that include wheels?

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 20, 2020 12:18PM
Craigslist, use a tire gage to show height or the Abraham Lincoln's head down in the tread. I've bought two sets of winter tires on CL. Both super good deals. $200 for four Bizzaks for my Civic along with OEM alloy wheels. $100 for four Blizzaks for my Subaru along with universal steel wheels that had lots of surface rust.

Don't expect to get much back from them. If they include steel wheels, maybe an extra $20 per tire. If they include alloy wheels, definitely more, depending on the wheel. If they include TPMS monitors in the wheels, that's also a bit more per wheel.
Posted by: Z
Date: November 20, 2020 12:23PM
There's a huge second hand winter tire market up here in Alaska.

An example of how we do it:
[anchorage.craigslist.org]

And if you want to browse generally:
[anchorage.craigslist.org]
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 20, 2020 12:23PM
Markintosh
agree smiley

The only thing that makes me want to consider used tires is very aggressive pricing compared to new. You can show me tread depth pretty easily with a photo, but I want to see all parts of each tire to know that there is no cracking from age, sidewall damage, repairs, reasonably balanced, etc.

Thats requires a personal inspection. So again, I would only be motivated by a very low price.

The second type of person that would buy used is someone that can't afford new...again, aggressive pricing.

Curious what snow tire cost $1600 for a set...or does that include wheels?

I was wondering that too. Without wheels that would be run-flats for a top-end German car or SUV (Mercedes S-Class, Porsche Cayenne, etc.) but if the wheels are included it could be something slightly less stratospheric.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: Z
Date: November 20, 2020 12:43PM
TSS - Something akin to this:
[www.tirerack.com]

Whew, make me glad I drive old stuff. smiling smiley
Date: November 20, 2020 02:01PM
The Pirelli tire the Z linked to is what I'm moving to on the new vehicle. Should be in sometimes next week.

Thanks for all the advice on taking a picture with a penny or a metal ruler. I will do that. I already know I'm not going to get much for them and I'm not worried about it. I just want to post an advertisement with good info to attract attention so I can move them quickly.

I was way off on the price. Looks like they sell for $242 brand new (unmounted). BLIZZAK DM-V2 - SIZE: 275/55R20 [www.tirerack.com]

Do you think these pictures adequately show the tread?

The ruler has 1/8 inch space before it starts measurements.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 20, 2020 02:12PM
Those pictures are better than 90% of what I see for used tires. I would just include a picture of the data code as well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: November 20, 2020 02:37PM
Yes. Pics are better than what most people post. Include one with the date code and one with the tire size.

Those are great winter tire. I almost bought those this year. Went with the Michelin X-Ice instead due to a lower rolling resistance. They have been very good so far.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 02:38PM by Markintosh.
Date: November 20, 2020 02:37PM

Nothing to see here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 02:37PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 20, 2020 03:00PM
Any chance you're near Philly?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 20, 2020 03:26PM
Markintosh
Include one with the date code and one with the tire size.

Tire size can actually be seen in the first photo, but a dedicated photo of each would be good (as well as listed in the description), b/c CL will compress the photo making it hard to make out.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 20, 2020 03:31PM
.....buy low.....sell high.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 20, 2020 03:46PM
excellent photos, much better than the phone photos we typically see on CL.

If they were Nokians, never sell them! Hard to find and expensive.
Date: November 20, 2020 04:00PM
Thanks for all the help. First time tire seller. :-) I am in central washington state so not very close to Philly. I'm sorry to see them go as they are good tires and have been barely used but apparently the 2017 Yukon Denali uses a different tire size than the 2013 these came off of. I think they only saw 1 or 2 seasons of use and we drive very few miles.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 20, 2020 04:06PM
davemchine
apparently the 2017 Yukon Denali uses a different tire size than the 2013 these came off of.

I don't know all the options on your 2017, but TireRack does show 275/55R20 as a possible tire size for a 2017 Yukon 4WD Denali. If your 2017 has 22" rims, it's possible you could get a set of 20" rims and continue to use these tires (you'd want to make sure you don't have an upgraded brake package that requires 22" rims to clear).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 20, 2020 04:19PM
....size......does matter.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 20, 2020 04:40PM
davemchine
Thanks for all the help. First time tire seller. :-) I am in central washington state so not very close to Philly. I'm sorry to see them go as they are good tires and have been barely used but apparently the 2017 Yukon Denali uses a different tire size than the 2013 these came off of. I think they only saw 1 or 2 seasons of use and we drive very few miles.

Too bad. They're really good tires and would fit my truck perfectly.

Gareth
davemchine
apparently the 2017 Yukon Denali uses a different tire size than the 2013 these came off of.

I don't know all the options on your 2017, but TireRack does show 275/55R20 as a possible tire size for a 2017 Yukon 4WD Denali. If your 2017 has 22" rims, it's possible you could get a set of 20" rims and continue to use these tires (you'd want to make sure you don't have an upgraded brake package that requires 22" rims to clear).

I would look into this option. As long as the overall tire diameter is close, you won't have any issues. Use this website to compare current tire diameter to the diameter of the Blizzaks.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 20, 2020 07:32PM
Yes, if the 20" wheels clear the brakes and the overall diameters are fairly close, it should be worth a test drive.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020